PC-hfdl help

Status
Not open for further replies.

topsweep1506

Hi im after a bit help with PC-hfdl v2, sorry if this is the wrong forum my excuse is im new here

Ive been trying for the last 3 days to get it to recieve a message im tuning into 8942 ‘Shannon’ as thats the closest station the signals coming through are loud and clear and there showing up on the spectrum on the pc-hfdl program but not getting any decodes, ive adjusted the volume on reciever up and down to get the right level but still nothing

The reciever is an old one a Yaesu FRG-7700 and works fine

Hoping someone has any idea or tips on what to do

Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Do not mute the signal in any way I think you'll notice that there's a real quick tone before the squawk comes through - no tone detected, no decodes. You should hear noise in your PC speakers when not decoding. Yes it's annoying but it's needed. And listen in USB. You may need to offset the tuning a bit to get the tones to be correct - every receiver is different.

Watch your levels. Overdrive the signal and you won't get anything. It's better to use the REC OUT as it's always at a fixed audio level. If you are using an input with a 20db gain setting, turn it off.

Just because it's the closest station doesn't mean it's the best choice. Too close, and the signal may skip over you and get distorted, preventing decodes. HF propagation doesn't work the same way VHF does.

Here is a PDF with all the stations and frequencies from the UDXF website...

http://www.udxf.nl/Digital-aero.pdf

There's a dedicated HFDL Yahoo group where you're likely to get a lot of other answers...

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/hfdl/info

Mike

topsweep1506

Do not mute the signal in any way I think you'll notice that there's a real quick tone before the squawk comes through - no tone detected, no decodes. You should hear noise in your PC speakers when not decoding. Yes it's annoying but it's needed. And listen in USB. You may need to offset the tuning a bit to get the tones to be correct - every receiver is different.

Watch your levels. Overdrive the signal and you won't get anything. It's better to use the REC OUT as it's always at a fixed audio level. If you are using an input with a 20db gain setting, turn it off.

Just because it's the closest station doesn't mean it's the best choice. Too close, and the signal may skip over you and get distorted, preventing decodes. HF propagation doesn't work the same way VHF does.

Here is a PDF with all the stations and frequencies from the UDXF website...

http://www.udxf.nl/Digital-aero.pdf

There's a dedicated HFDL Yahoo group where you're likely to get a lot of other answers...

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/hfdl/info

Mike

Thanks For the info Mike

Got it going at last was my own fault i had the audio cable plugged into the speaker output but soon as i put it into the REC it started decoding well

Tony

topsweep1506

Hi back again with another problem

Been running pchfdl (both versions) for the past week without any problems until yesterday when it seams to have stopped decoding after around 5 mins from starting the program, Decoding fine to start with then 5 mins in it stops but the program is still showing the tones in the spectrum

Strange thing is ive tried it on 2 different laptops and im getting the same thing, could I possibly be overloading the soundcard?

Thanks again

Tony

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Have no idea. It sounds like there's a conflict between something pc-hfdl needs and something else running in your PC in the background that grabs the resource and doesn't let go. Another thought - there's a time limit on the free version?

I'd post a question in the HFDL yahoo group - they're likely to be the best ones to help with such an odd issue.

Mike

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
Unregistered copy

Yes, the unregistered version of PC-HFDL stops after a short time. I thought it was 10 minutes, but I didn't remember. Register the software (it isn't expensive) and get "Display Launcher" (freeware) which can plot the aircraft on Google Earth and associate callsigns with aircraft models and registrations. Google is your friend.

Have fun.

D

DaveNF2G

The registered latest PC-HFDL can plot to Google Earth without any add-ons.

Status
Not open for further replies.