Pcso go digital p25

Status
Not open for further replies.

milcom_chaser

Ill help you out. If you need a digital pro 668 I have a mint shape one I am selling. 200 bucks sound fair?

If the system is indeed simulcast P-25 Phase II, the GRE/RS/Whistler line of scanners will be disappointing in performance. Not to hamper your offering of a radio, just adding direct experience with 3 of those products...

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
If the system is indeed simulcast P-25 Phase II, the GRE/RS/Whistler line of scanners will be disappointing in performance. Not to hamper your offering of a radio, just adding direct experience with 3 of those products...

So far every talkgroup that is actively being used, including dispatch talkgroups, are encrypted. Save your money, as no scanner will work.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
They will be fully encrypted so there is no need for a phase 2 scanner in the valley at this point. I'm hearing that MCSO will be fully encrypted as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4-crime

I am really not sure why there isn't any pushback from the public or the taxpayers of these cities, towns, and counties who have encrypted all transmissions. Again, as the taxpayers and citizens of these places you have the right for transparency and to know what is going on around you. (YOU PAID FOR THESE SYSTEMS AS TAX PAYERS).

I do understand the want and need for SOME encryption, but not everything. Tactical channels, and things of that nature again, totally understand, but not everything.

I know a lot of people use the excuse of all the live feeds of police radio out there as a reason for this happening, and there is some truth to it. But if that is the issue, why not put a ban on live feeds then? How is it you can shut out all the citizens of all these municipalities from knowing what is going on around them.

More importantly, how is it that the Largest Cities in the country are all unencrypted? NYPD, LAPD, Chicago PD? Why is it ok for these agencies but no where else?

People want trust and better relationships between the public and police but I do not see how this helps with bettering that relationship, I just think it makes it worse.

That's my 2 cents.

LARKDALE1

Premium Subscriber

Oh no problem trust me they are disappointing here in PHX for sure! I am getting rid of all my digital radios so I can get g4s

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I am really not sure why there isn't any pushback from the public or the taxpayers of these cities, towns, and counties who have encrypted all transmissions. Again, as the taxpayers and citizens of these places you have the right for transparency and to know what is going on around you. (YOU PAID FOR THESE SYSTEMS AS TAX PAYERS).

I do understand the want and need for SOME encryption, but not everything. Tactical channels, and things of that nature again, totally understand, but not everything.

I know a lot of people use the excuse of all the live feeds of police radio out there as a reason for this happening, and there is some truth to it. But if that is the issue, why not put a ban on live feeds then? How is it you can shut out all the citizens of all these municipalities from knowing what is going on around them.

More importantly, how is it that the Largest Cities in the country are all unencrypted? NYPD, LAPD, Chicago PD? Why is it ok for these agencies but no where else?

People want trust and better relationships between the public and police but I do not see how this helps with bettering that relationship, I just think it makes it worse.

That's my 2 cents.

Most all of us feel this way, and some of us have tried our best to do something to fight this. I've called departments, and I interviewed with the AZ Republic newspaper about the move to encryption, and my interview was published. I've tried. Others have too.

But the bottom line is this. Unlike the 80's, or 90's, not that many people own scanners and listen FAITHFULLY now. Most people stare at smart phones or tablets for entertainment, and are tuned out of the world around them beyond social media. Departments have learned that they can give a "media radio" to media outlets, allowing dispatch monitoring. With the media out of the way, the small population of scanner people have minimal influence. Plus there is FOIA...which allows anyone to request recordings after the fact. Between all of these things, many agencies are deciding it's better to cover their backside, and hide everything. From a liability standpoint, it makes sense. In other ways of course, it doesn't, but it's not our call, and without a large public outcry, this will not change.

Did online streaming play a role? In my view, yes. But since that's a forbidden topic here, and since it's not the entire reason this is happening, I will say no more about that.

The future is total encryption. You are living in the end of an era that future generations will never know. Enjoy what is left, while it is left. My take.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Oh no problem trust me they are disappointing here in PHX for sure! I am getting rid of all my digital radios so I can get g4s

Don't get rid of all of them just yet. There is still MCSO (until they go to P2 / total encryption), and the AZ WINS system with DPS and the ADOT enforcement guys (actually good listening with the ADOT enforcement guys). Plus if you are in a "good" spot, it's nice to be able to hear your favorite P25 system PLUS conventional / analog stuff. I still have a few digital scanners, despite enjoying my G4. The G4 is not a scanner replacement. It's best used to AUGMENT your scanners.

Danny37

That's my 2 cents.

There's only so much you can do as a private citizen with no political pull.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
There's only so much you can do as a private citizen with no political pull.

Exactly. Especially since there are relatively few who care these days. When I was a kid many people in town had a scanner, it was pretty common. on Friday nights my parents and their friends would gather around the kitchen table and smoke (gasp!) and have drinks, play cards, and listen to the events going on in town. I still remember the old Bearcat with the row of flashing red lights up on the shelf in the dining room...it was my first taste of scanning.

These days maybe 1% of people use a scanner on a regular basis. So long as the media gets their media radio, there is essentially very little outcry. We are nearing the end of the era of public safety scanning, and I'm just enjoying what's left. Younger people have no interest in scanners for the most part, as they are wrapped up in social media, and video games. As encryption becomes the norm, there will barely be a whimper of protest in the grand scheme.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Yes, all PCSO is now on the new trunked system. Over the last couple of days, I have heard a few units call on the VHF channels, and they were asked to switch to "Z Deck 800 channels".

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Yes, all PCSO is now on the new trunked system. Over the last couple of days, I have heard a few units call on the VHF channels, and they were asked to switch to "Z Deck 800 channels".

Thanks. I was doing a bit of cleanup on my programming files and I wanted to delete those frequencies if they are no longer in use at all. I only received them as weak signals and only with the rooftop antenna in North Glendale, but this is very unfortunate for those who were regular listeners. PCSO will now join Buckeye PD in the "gone forever" category, where MCSO will likely soon join them...sigh...

KB7MIB

Pinal County Sheriff
La Paz County Sheriff (dispatch clear, mobiles/portables encrypted. The same goes for much of the FD/EMS in La Paz County I believe.)
Ft McDowell Indian Community Police
Salt River Indian Community Police
Gila River Indian Community Police
Buckeye Police
Goodyear Police? (Mentioned recently by another commentor on another thread. I can't receive Simulcast G, so I haven't been able to verify if they are or are not 100% encrypted.)

John
Peoria

Cameron1055

I went out to Florence today on a medical transport, I heard 2 talkgroups that were in the clear, but could not ID them, they were talkgoups 3 and 26.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Pinal County Sheriff
La Paz County Sheriff (dispatch clear, mobiles/portables encrypted. The same goes for much of the FD/EMS in La Paz County I believe.)
Buckeye Police
Goodyear Police? (Mentioned recently by another commentor on another thread. I can't receive Simulcast G, so I haven't been able to verify if they are or are not 100% encrypted.)

John
Peoria

Goodyear dispatch should be in the clear, but I have not had that verified yet.

Insulator

All that I can say that the ediots in charge setting up the templates for the radios are paranoid. Homeland security is a mute point point in local routine pd dispatch. That is why we had encrypted tg for special ops. I hope that that person or sheriff that made the decision to go underground enjoys his new Cadillac setting in his driveway?

DHAS12

Pinal County Sheriff
Buckeye Police

John
Peoria

I never understood why the FD/EMS portables needed to be encrypted.. I guess dispatch being in the clear is better than nothing... Also, it seems like most Tribal PDs are going encrypted. Even Hualapai Tribal Police are encrypted here in Mohave County. I recently read a report that interviewed leaders from various Tribal PD's around the country and most agreed encryption was necessary for day to day operations.

"With scanner monitoring commonplace, someone from each tribal nation law enforcement agency
indicated the desire for secure or encrypted communications to better perform his or her duties. Law
enforcement personnel felt that their ability to do their job was compromised by illicit monitoring of
radio communications."

So far they are the only agency in my area to go that route, and I hope it stays that way, however I think most PD's feel that encryption is necessary. I read a newspaper article out of Prescott last year that said that most officers wanted encryption, and the only thing stopping it from happening was lack of funds. It's probably only a matter of time until most Law enforcement agencies are encrypted.

https://www.dcourier.com/news/2017/aug/31/keeping-bad-guys-listening/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.