Pcso go digital p25

Status
Not open for further replies.

azduststorm

KJ7QVY
Did they go digital? There has been nothing on all day. Idk if it's just Christmas eve and they don't feel like doing nothing but I have it scanning four different pinal county sheriff channels and nothing.
Also can someone help me find a cheep under a 100 dollar digital ham radio p25 capable radio please I was hoping it there would be one on amazon. Ps one that works with Florence az pd. It can go over a 100 a bit but not much.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Did they go digital? There has been nothing on all day. Idk if it's just Christmas eve and they don't feel like doing nothing but I have it scanning four different pinal county sheriff channels and nothing.
Also can someone help me find a cheep under a 100 dollar digital ham radio p25 capable radio please I was hoping it there would be one on amazon. Ps one that works with Florence az pd. It can go over a 100 a bit but not much.

GRE digital scanners can be found on Craigslist / offer up for not much more than $100, you just have to keep your eyes open...set up search alerts. I found a PSR 600 scanner on Craigslist for $120, and it was in very good condition.

shglad

Premium Subscriber
Pinal Co Sheriff's Office - nothing has changed. I have been monitoring with no interruption.

2wayfreq

Be advised,
A "Source" working on the new Pinal System said that all new sheriff talk groups WILL be Encrypted. So, I would have anyone who already has a Phase II scanner to verify this when they cut over. If that was going to be your primary monitoring, it could be a waste of money.

azduststorm

KJ7QVY
No i have a beofang. I got a good job now so within the next couple of weeks I'll get a good digital

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Not looking good for monitoring....

Attachments

• Pinal County TRS Encrypted.JPG
    Pinal County TRS Encrypted.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 655

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Looks to be very active with TG 9001 and 9002.
I am not able to pick-up Pinal Co So from my location on their VHF channels.
Did they switch over ?

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Looks to be very active with TG 9001 and 9002.
I am not able to pick-up Pinal Co So from my location on their VHF channels.
Did they switch over ?

They are still active on VHF Channels 1, 2, & 3. Channel 5 is not used until evenings.

9001 (Encrypted) and VHF Ch1 seems to be patched. When VHF Ch1 is active, 9001 (Encrypted) is active too.

Likewise 9002 (Encrypted) seems to be patched with VHF Ch2.

Not looking good for monitoring....
I agree. This is not looking good for Pinal County listeners.

Last edited:

4-crime

Was just watching an episode of Live PD from tonight, or last night now, and they were in Pinal County. A deputy was using his radio and you could clearly hear the Trunking Talk Permit Tone with digital audio coming from the radio so it looks like they may have switched.

Can anyone confirm?

KB7MIB

Since it looks like they're patching VHF with the new 800 MHz trunked system, it may be possible that some deputies have been issued the new radios, and some are still using the VHF radios.

John
Peoria

4-crime

Since it looks like they're patching VHF with the new 800 MHz trunked system, it may be possible that some deputies have been issued the new radios, and some are still using the VHF radios.

John
Peoria

I’ve seen many deputies with APX8000’s.

azduststorm

KJ7QVY
So what kind of radio do I need. I can afford 200 dollar one if they are that cheep. If you guys can find me a cheaper one that would be great. I finally got a job in my trade. So I wAnt to be able to treat myself to a radio. I really would like a digital ham radio that can get them as well as florence pd. not a scanner.

milcom_chaser

So what kind of radio do I need. I can afford 200 dollar one if they are that cheep. If you guys can find me a cheaper one that would be great. I finally got a job in my trade. So I wAnt to be able to treat myself to a radio. I really would like a digital ham radio that can get them as well as florence pd. not a scanner.

Last edited:

KB7MIB

A ham radio, digital or not, will not trunk track, meaning it will not properly follow a trunked radio system, so you would not be able to follow a specific talkgroup or conversation.

You will need a digital scanner. One that is capable of P25 Phase II capability.

Uniden:
BCD-436HP handheld
BCD-536HP base/mobile
BCD-325P2 handheld
BCD-996P2 base/mobile
Home Patrol II base/mobile

Whistler:
TRX-1 handheld
TRX-2 base/mobile
WS-1088 handheld
WS-1098 base/mobile

This is not a cheap hobby. It is unlikely that you will find any of these scanners, even used, for much less than $300. Keep saving your money. Check the online swap pages, like eBay and Craigslist. You might get lucky.

There is also the Unication G4 and G5 pagers, which are supposed to be updated to include P25 Phase II soon. However, these cost well over $500 right now.

Keep in mind however, that if PCSO is going to encrypt everything, and it appears that they are going to, you will not hear anything from them, with any scanner or pager. It is entirely possible that once they fully switch over to their trunked radio system and the VHF channels get set aside, you would need to be a PCSO deputy to be able to listen to them.

I don't know if Florence or Coolidge PD has any future plans for encryption. Or if either plans on joining the trunked radio system once it's up and running, and will or won't use encryption if they do. However, that is always a possibility, and you may not be able to listen to any local law enforcement in the next couple of years. You need to decide if listening to the Florence and Coolidge fire departments, DPS, and other agencies besides PCSO and your local PD's are worth it.

John
Peoria

ki7be

I have noticed that over the past week on the vhf channels some mobile units have the data burst on the end of the transmission, and some do not. I wonder if the units without the ending data burst are the new trunking radios.

4-crime

I’m hearing from someone that PCSO went full time on the Phase II system today. Anyone confirm?

Status
Not open for further replies.