• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

PD782G vs PD682G

Status
Not open for further replies.

razorseal

Well... My recent purchase of a PD782-U2 has backfired. I was shown by a fellow member here that I got the commercial version of PD782, which serves me absolutely no purpose, and it doesn't seem like there is anything I can do to convert it to HAM. (I do live near Miramar, which is Hytera's US HQ, so I was wondering going over and begging them to re-flash U1 firmware on it lol)

So now I'm on Gigapart's website looking at a new 782 or a 682. With a coupon I found, I can get the 682 for 350 and 782 for 410.

I'm trying to find all I can for the differences of two, and I can't really find much except 682 seems more digital friendly (and smaller size) Not sure if 682 offers roaming capability though.

Trying to decide if the 782 is worth the extra 50-60 dollars...

Looking for opinions from people who own either or both.

Thanks!

ps. I'm hoping to sell the commercial 782 on ebay again if the seller doesn't refund me for my mistake...

Thanks!

dazey77

Your post seems confused to me. All PD radios are aimed at commercial applications but are fine for Ham use if they cover the relevant band.

The Ham versions of them are software limited and don't include certain features such as encryption.
The ham versions are AR (at least in the UK) so the PD685 goes to AR685 (PD685 is the same as the 682 but the EU version). I have no idea if there is an AR7xx I have never seen one.

In the 7xx range, you do need a U1 to cover the ham band. The 6xx is single band in UHF (400-527)

I am not sure if the AR has roaming (this one is not on the main Hytera website. . ). The PD682 does, all the specs are on the Hytera website.

There are posts a few down discussing the two radios.

razorseal

Your post seems confused to me. All PD radios are aimed at commercial applications but are fine for Ham use if they cover the relevant band.

The Ham versions of them are software limited and don't include certain features such as encryption.
The ham versions are AR (at least in the UK) so the PD685 goes to AR685 (PD685 is the same as the 682 but the EU version). I have no idea if there is an AR7xx I have never seen one.

In the 7xx range, you do need a U1 to cover the ham band. The 6xx is single band in UHF (400-527)

I am not sure if the AR has roaming (this one is not on the main Hytera website. . ). The PD682 does, all the specs are on the Hytera website.

There are posts a few down discussing the two radios.

So I've been doing some research since I put this up... Not alot of info on PD682G... I might actually do a youtube review and also a nice programming video because it's very lacking info wise on internet.

From what I see, in the US the models are are PDXX2... so PD782, PD682 etc. the 2 denotes the US model. I thikn PDXX5 is europe model. I don't know if it's ham or not. here it's the PD682 or PD782. With the discount I found on a youtube channel, gigaparts sells the PD682 for 349 dollars vs the 409 for the PD782.

both offer roaming and same capabilities. the PD782 has vibration and tier III trunking which does me no good. Could care less for vibration.

The PD682 has a smaller battery, but same wattage as the PD782. The 682 does last couple hours longer according to specs even though it has a smaller battery. Both use the 1.8 inch screen.

I don't see a reason to purchase the PD782 when PD682 does everything, but is smaller and last longer. Both have same IP67 rating.

at 350, I think it's a great buy. I'm excited to check it out. I plan on doing a review on youtube like I said...

dazey77

Attached is a guide to model numbers!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 17.03.13.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 17.03.13.png
    183.7 KB · Views: 730

dazey77

You can compare specs here (UK variants)
https://hytera.co.uk/products/pd785#technical
https://hytera.co.uk/products/pd685#technical

Pdfs
https://hytera.co.uk/media/Hytera_PD6S_EN_016D_050117_V2-min.pdf
https://hytera.co.uk/media/Hytera_PD7S_EN_018D_050117_V2-min.pdf

I am not sure that I believe it when it says 685 does quick text only? For ham use you might not care.

in the other thread someone said antenna sma sex reverses between the two. Also 685 is missing some programmable buttons.

Also the 985 of course
https://hytera.co.uk/products/pd985

dazey77

Pretty sure the 685 can do proper text messages. The CPS has menu items for drafts, new message etc. just like a higher tier radio. Does have front panel programming capability too by the looks of it.

golftango

glad i found this thread and i've got razorseal's video queued up for viewing as soon as i finish typing.

working on what they call a codeplug and i call simply a config file for my hytera pd682. i had previously set up (with a great deal of help from the openspot group) the pd362, but that radio was about the most basic dmr radio there is and the cps for it was very simple with the limited number of options. i've been a ham for many decades now, but this is my first foray into digital and even that wasn't possible until the openspot came along. i got my d74 dstar working with it in just an hour or so but it took nearly 8 hours to get dmr working with the pd362.

sadly, for the 682 i have to use a different cps and you can't get the 362 file into the 682 software, so i'm having to try to work back and forth from a split screen to plug some of the settings from the 362 into the 682, but the sheer number of options on the 682 is making it very tedious.

i've found some codeplugs for the 682 here and there, but none specifically for openspot use. i'm currently going back through the 4-5 youtube videos i found helpful when i programmed the first one.

so does anyone have an openspot config file for the pd682 or any links that would be more specific in how to set it up? i mean, i'm pretty sure i can glean enough from the 362 to get it talking to the openspot, but i'd like to know what other helpful options i might be missing.

tks! /guy (73 de kg5vt | wqpz784)

N4KVE

My friend who does work for Hytera in Miramar insists the 782 is a better radio, as in better made, & more rugged. Why you would buy a 450-512 radio for use on the 440 band, I will never understand. Had you purchased a Motorola DMR radio, & made that same mistake, it would still work at 440. Plenty of nice used ones for under $250. A friend in Tampa just sold some clean 6550's 403-470 for $140. It was listed on numerous internet sites. I thought you were going to contact me for advice. Good luck to you.

timkilbride

Database Admin
Well... My recent purchase of a PD782-U2 has backfired. I was shown by a fellow member here that I got the commercial version of PD782, which serves me absolutely no purpose, and it doesn't seem like there is anything I can do to convert it to HAM. (I do live near Miramar, which is Hytera's US HQ, so I was wondering going over and begging them to re-flash U1 firmware on it lol)

So now I'm on Gigapart's website looking at a new 782 or a 682. With a coupon I found, I can get the 682 for 350 and 782 for 410.

I'm trying to find all I can for the differences of two, and I can't really find much except 682 seems more digital friendly (and smaller size) Not sure if 682 offers roaming capability though.

Thanks!

ps. I'm hoping to sell the commercial 782 on ebay again if the seller doesn't refund me for my mistake...

Thanks!

Have you tried editing the model definitions file?

Tim

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I have both and although the 682 is wide band i like the audio quality of the 782. As you have found out the 782 is in a UHF low split or UHF high split.
The build is better on the 782, the speaker faces the front, and the belt clip seems a bit better.
The 682 has the speaker holes facing the back and it annoys me. But again just personal opinion.
It also tends to fall over easily due to its small narrow foot print when sitting up right.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
I have both and although the 682 is wide band i like the audio quality of the 782. As you have found out the 782 is in a UHF low split or UHF high split.
The build is better on the 782, the speaker faces the front, and the belt clip seems a bit better.
The 682 has the speaker holes facing the back and it annoys me. But again just personal opinion.
It also tends to fall over easily due to its small narrow foot print when sitting up right.
How about the scan function on the 682?
Under the features list on the 782 it says it scans analog and digital better. There's no mention of scanning digital and analog on the 682g. I use my radios in multimode and need to be able to scan analog and digital channels

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
PD***

I have had a VHF PD782 since version 1 of the firmware. A couple of years after getting it, I bought the UHF version. I use them strictly for ham, and the firmware updates included FPP. I also have a PD 362 and other than the lower power output has the quality of the larger units. They are designed as commercial radios with commercial pricing but Hytera is the public service/commercial choice in many parts of Europe and was not designed with some of the "extras" desired by hams.

k7plt

Both radios share the same features except the following (according to my 2018 Spring pricebook),
which are native to the PD782:

1.) SMA male antenna connector
2.) Vibration
3.) Digital Voice Call function
4.) Telemetry
5.) Option Board Interface
6.) Larger battery capacity option, (3000 mAh vs 2000 mAh)

Hope this helps!

S-

Status
Not open for further replies.