Pecos County has gone digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrekFan1701

I submitted a request to RadioReference.com to have them update the database because its now out of date, but they rejected it and said I need to post to the correct forum. I hope this is it. If not, please let me know where I need to post.

I am a novice at scanner programming. I used to have a simple scanner where you just enter the frequency and listen. However, about 10 weeks ago I started hearing buzzing noises instead of radio communications. So I went and bought a new scanner that can listen to digital signals. It uses the RadioReference.com database and your location and range to target frequencies. It still has the 155.535 as the Pecos County SO. But I was still getting the buzzing noise. So I started playing with the frequency and found that they are now using 155.545. The Fort Stockton city PD and Pecos County SO here used to use the same frequency. However, now it seems there maybe more frequencies involved as it seems I only get part of the communication and I have not heard the SO. There have not been any EMS dispatches or Fire calls since I got the new radio so I am not sure if those frequencies changed or not, but I am betting they did.

If there is anything I can do, let me know. Just keep in mind I am a novice and will need more detail than most. I have tried asking around but no one is admitting to knowing anything.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing back from someone and I can start listening again.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I submitted a request to RadioReference.com to have them update the database because its now out of date, but they rejected it and said I need to post to the correct forum. I hope this is it. If not, please let me know where I need to post.

I am a novice at scanner programming. I used to have a simple scanner where you just enter the frequency and listen. However, about 10 weeks ago I started hearing buzzing noises instead of radio communications. So I went and bought a new scanner that can listen to digital signals. It uses the RadioReference.com database and your location and range to target frequencies. It still has the 155.535 as the Pecos County SO. But I was still getting the buzzing noise. So I started playing with the frequency and found that they are now using 155.545. The Fort Stockton city PD and Pecos County SO here used to use the same frequency. However, now it seems there maybe more frequencies involved as it seems I only get part of the communication and I have not heard the SO. There have not been any EMS dispatches or Fire calls since I got the new radio so I am not sure if those frequencies changed or not, but I am betting they did.

If there is anything I can do, let me know. Just keep in mind I am a novice and will need more detail than most. I have tried asking around but no one is admitting to knowing anything.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing back from someone and I can start listening again.
Hi Trek
Welcome to RadioReference & the Texas Forum.

I suspect that your 155.545 frequency is in error. The county is not licensed for that. However, they are licensed for 155.5425, which is close enough that the scanner would still hear them on 155.545.

From the basic description of your scanner, it sounds as if you have either a Home Patrol, or the PSR-800. With either of them, you can add a frequency to your favorites list, and let it find the NAC code being used for digital transmissions.

Once you have that information, submit it to the database. You do that by going to the page for your county:
Pecos County, Texas (TX) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

There is a button there labeled "Submit". Use that and provide information through that channel. Note that merely submitting a note that the county has "gone digital" is really not going to be updated. If you can get more specifics, such as the frequencies, and corresponding NAC codes, then that would be updated and would then show up in the database used by your scanner as well, after the update cycles run.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

TrekFan1701

Thank you Steve. When was receiving transmissions via 155.545, it showed NAC:186 on the screen.
I have reprogrammed my added favorite to use the frequency you mention in your post to me and it sounds cleaner. Before I added the specific digital code NAC:186 to the 155.5425, I saw CSCC 60.7 Hz also come up. So I have been playing around with different frequencies and settings.
As for the PBRINTS, I listened to all this for an entire day and got nothing. (BTW; I also recently purchased a Home Patrol-1 unit. I was told all I had to do was plug it in, enter my location and start listening. I was pretty disappointed that it didn't work.)
Can you tell where you found the frequency information you provided? I am not hearing fire or EMS calls anymore either.
Thanks.

P.S. If I gave you my phone number, would you call me and explain how some of this works? You seem pretty knowledgeable.

DragoSapien

Pecos County has gone digital. PD/SO use the same and Fire and EMS have there own digital now. There keeping the info very closed lipped so no one can hear what going on. All of us here in City of Ft.Stockton have to up grade to be in contact with them. Our ham club here will be getting a new radio soon to help when ARES is needed.

TrekFan1701

Hello DragoSapien, I am hearing EMS calls, but I am not hearing fire calls. So I don't think that EMS and Fire are using the same frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.