Perhaps a stupid question - Replay functionality

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetyobc

I think a recorder (and have suggested it in the past) would be an excellent idea for a scanner.

With today's tech it shouldn't be that difficult to incorporate a audio recorder into a scanner. What would be great is if they would offer the recorder to record to removable SD cards. That way you could expand your media if necessary.

Also, do you realize how much audio you could record on a 2 GB card? Several hours worth if you wanted it.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Radio Shack sells a little module with 20-second recording/replay.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102855

Very interesting. At the very least it shows that something tiny like that is capable and is less than $10. Integration of something similar doesn't seem like it would be a big obstacle for a manufacturer.

Anyway... I just put this feeler out there on a whim... Just seemed like a useful feature. I again appreciate the responses.

lugoffman

Well you could also go to http://www.scanamerica.us/index.php and see if they got a feed set up for your area as to what you was monitoring. If they do not you could get a feed started for your area and it will record everything that is active for that feed and you can go back into the archive and look it up and replay it THIS IS FREE !! to do good luck http://tx.scanamerica.us/index.php looks like dallas does not have a feed but you can start one for free if you got a extra scanner laying around it's easy to do just email gordon@scanamerica.us and he will get you set up for the feed

:D just thought i would quote what i said earlyer it is cheaper

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Yeah.. But driving around in my car and hearing something that I wanted to replay real fast doesn't lend itself to that particular solution. However, I will check it out for home scanning or when I have my laptop available.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
look at it this way, while you are listening to the playback, you might miss something much more important that what you had previously missed, so then if we had this feature, people would want the playback to only play when the radio did not have any incoming traffic. yadda yadda...lol

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
That would be a risk I take though... I think the number of times it would help (missing the address, not sure who called for help, etc.) would more than outweigh the "playing over audio." And since it's a separate circuit, you could still have the live audio playing if needed.

Don_Burke

look at it this way, while you are listening to the playback, you might miss something much more important that what you had previously missed, so then if we had this feature, people would want the playback to only play when the radio did not have any incoming traffic. yadda yadda...lol
It would not be too difficult to design a unit that would step back, play recorded audio 20 seconds old and then catch up to real time. Broadcast delay units do things similar to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.