Permian Basin Regional Interoperability Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

rn1nduk1

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
I decided to start this thread due to lots of inquiries about this system. After about 24 hours of logging and monitoring the control channel for the Ector County Sites, there are missing frequencies in the sites, some are not even on the FCC license list, and there are additional talk groups, most of which are not on the database, but are encrypted, so help to identify will be appreciated.

Just to begin, a few things stand out. At least for the Midland VHF and Notrees VHF, the controller is not simulcasting the full talk group list. In addition, the Notrees VHF Site also has a frequency of 152.5625, leaving this site as a five frequency system.

After 24 hours, it mostly appears that Odessa Patrol 1, Ector SO 1, Odessa FD Dispatch, and Ector County Fire Dispatch are the bulk of what comes across. The same seems true of the Midland VHF Site, which I thought odd since Midland SO does not come across, as no encrypted talk groups were ever caught but Unitracker. So those of you listening the VHF sites, due to your location, you will be limited it appears, by reasonable deduction.

Later, I will post up additional talk groups here as I parse out the log. Most I cannot identify, as they are encrypted. An example would be that OPD Patrol 2 (503) NEVER logged encrypted, as it states in the database to be encrypted.

Hopefully we can get this system current and correct. Anyone who has information is most welcomed to comment.

rn1nduk1

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Oh, OK Thanks for the input. Oddly, it has more voice traffic on it, not pages. They seem to come on the 151.19750 based on the log in UniTrunker. One day I will figure this system out. Thanks again for the input.

KE5PL

Site update

Site 2, McCamey/King Mountain 800 MHz (ONLY) has been deactivated. That infrastructure has been moved to Gardendale, and reprogrammed for WQUR651, site 8 frequencies.

856.2375 CC
856.7375 AC

This improves handheld coverage to the North of Midland and Ector counties.

rn1nduk1

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info.

Anyone have any idea who talkgroup 1040 is? Shows up sporatically on the Midland VHF site. Only two radio IDs though; 8018 and 8047. Is also an encrypted talkgroup.

Have also seen Talk Group 426 on it sporatically. I think that is still Rankin, in the clear.

KE5PL

Infrastructure Update

Many of you know that this network is in the (long-term) transition process to the GATTRS (Austin) core. This was necessitated by the city of Odessa wanting the PBRPC to pay an annual fee for approximately 1500 users. Those users continue to use their legacy conventional VHF repeaters for their daily operations, and SHSP grants are drying up. As such, an additional 1500 users (revenue) on the Odessa core was a pipe dream by the ex-Odessa city manager. So now, there will be two Communications “islands” in the Permian Basin. Interestingly enough, a city of Midland staffer has indicated that they would not be participating in/programming for the PBRPC network.

The PBRPC Phase 1 project includes Sanderson, Glass Mountain, King Mountain, Coates Ranch (Iraan) and Gomez Peak. These will connect via a combination of 4.9 ghz and Ethernet. Those circuits are installed this month. These Phase 1 sites aren’t typically heard in Midland-Odessa.

As the existing 1FB TGs conflicted with the 13E TGs, those had to be changed. The balance of the PBRPC sites (Phase 2) will move over later this year. Including the three - 800 sites at Gardendale, Notrees and Midland. An additional 700 site will be built in Odessa to mitigate the loss of the two Odessa 800 sites.

Control channels shouldn’t change.

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
This was necessitated by the city of Odessa wanting the PBRPC to pay an annual fee for approximately 1500 users.
Was this by chance precipitated by the rumor/allegation that Motorola is going to begin enforcing a per-subscriber license?

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Many of you know that this network is in the (long-term) transition process to the GATTRS (Austin) core. This was necessitated by the city of Odessa wanting the PBRPC to pay an annual fee for approximately 1500 users. Those users continue to use their legacy conventional VHF repeaters for their daily operations, and SHSP grants are drying up. As such, an additional 1500 users (revenue) on the Odessa core was a pipe dream by the ex-Odessa city manager. So now, there will be two Communications “islands” in the Permian Basin. Interestingly enough, a city of Midland staffer has indicated that they would not be participating in/programming for the PBRPC network.

The PBRPC Phase 1 project includes Sanderson, Glass Mountain, King Mountain, Coates Ranch (Iraan) and Gomez Peak. These will connect via a combination of 4.9 ghz and Ethernet. Those circuits are installed this month. These Phase 1 sites aren’t typically heard in Midland-Odessa.

As the existing 1FB TGs conflicted with the 13E TGs, those had to be changed. The balance of the PBRPC sites (Phase 2) will move over later this year. Including the three - 800 sites at Gardendale, Notrees and Midland. An additional 700 site will be built in Odessa to mitigate the loss of the two Odessa 800 sites.

Control channels shouldn’t change.

We’re in a database freeze here on 13E. Can’t make any changes to the system while the sites are benign provisioned.

Is phase 2 going live on the DPS core? CoA hasn’t really shown any large scale interest in Phase 2 yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KE5PL

Subscriber fees

Was this by chance precipitated by the rumor/allegation that Motorola is going to begin enforcing a per-subscriber license?

We bought subscriber licenses early on, in blocks of 1000, at $5 a pop.So we have been paying those all along. We bailed because the *city of Odessa * wanted an unreasonable (and recurring) per month, per subscriber fee. No recurring expense to connect to GATTRS. The licenses (one time) transferred. All about the $.

KE5PL

database freeze

We’re in a database freeze here on 13E. Can’t make any changes to the system while the sites are benign provisioned.

Is phase 2 going live on the DPS core? CoA hasn’t really shown any large scale interest in Phase 2 yet.

Yes, I think the freeze started 3/9. But we are in the process of getting MPLS Ethernet installed (replacing T1s) anyway, and still connected to Odessa. Just now submitting talkgroups.

I have not heard talk of Phase II, but I'm not in that loop. There are too many Quantars still in service. Both here and MRGDC Those won't be supported in 7.19, which could occur in two years. I'm thinking Texarkana is the only one connected to DPS at San Antonio. My understanding that the GATTRS and DPS cores are now interconnected.

Project25_MASTR

No recurring expense to connect to GATTRS. The licenses (one time) transferred. All about the $.

Actually there is. CoA runs it like an airtime system. I think their monthly billing is around $32/radio and Western Counties’ is closer to $20/radio a month. Expand the system however, and waive the airtime billing fees.

There’s one more site to finish at Western Counties when it comes to Quantar to GTR migration then the attention will turn MRG (which we are thinking the state will foot most of the bill for that).

Project25_MASTR

One VHF site funded by TxDOT at Mason rumored to be on the radar

It's not really a rumor...it's been planned and when constructed, it'll be one of two new sites for Western Counties but who funds it (rumor was actually Western Counties would fund it since TxDOT is constructing another site right now in the region) is not final. Probably looking at a 2 to 3 year time frame for those two new sites to begin construction though.

KE5PL

PBRPC Sanderson site has been removed from the Odessa (1FB) core, and is now connected to GATTRS (13E). Control channels remain unchanged, site 084 (54). Coates Ranch, Glass Mountain and King Mountain soon to follow. The first users you hear will likely be TxDOT. Assuming there are any trunking capable scanners in Terrell County...

Finally.

Project25_MASTR

PBRPC Sanderson site has been removed from the Odessa (1FB) core, and is now connected to GATTRS (13E). Control channels remain unchanged, site 084 (54). Coates Ranch, Glass Mountain and King Mountain soon to follow. The first users you hear will likely be TxDOT. Assuming there are any trunking capable scanners in Terrell County...

Finally.

Which zone? 1 or 2? Also, which site ID is the hex ID?

Status
Not open for further replies.