Status
Not open for further replies.

iExtremeRisk

Hello,

I am just wondering if anyone from here happens to know what happened with the Perth Amboy Police live feed. It was up a few weeks ago then it disappeared. Secondly, not sure if anyone knows if this is true or not but I went to RadioShack to buy a scanner and I was told that I was not going to be able to listen to Perth Amboy because they were moving to digital. If someone can confirm that, that would be great. Lastly, what scanner(s) would you recommend for digital.

GM

Premium Subscriber
Not sure about the live feed, as I have no interest in them. Radio Shack provided false info to you if that is the case. You can monitor them on their UHF freq. of 453.4250 NAC 365 in clear digital mode as of now. If they switch over to use their talkgroups on the Woodbridge Trunked Radio System network, then that is 100% encrypted and you will not be able to monitor those channels/talkgroups. You will need a P25 digital capable scanner, which is what they sell on their product line. You can go for an older digital model such as a Pro-96 for a bargain deal these days on the classified section of this website, eBay or other outlets (possibly amazon.com or craigslist) or you can get one of the better and latest models such as a Pro 106. (Both are handheld types; their website can show you what they look like as well as the model number for base/mobile stations as well.) When shopping at Radio Shack, it's always best to talk to them in part/sku numbers, as they seem to understand this the most these days. You can also research the Uniden and GRE product scanner line if you wish for those types of scanners. GRE makes most of the scanners for Radio Shack. Good luck with your new toys. :)

Last edited:

robbinsj2

I think I'm familiar with all the mainstream digital scanners but I've never heard of the Pro-104 so I am inclined to say that it will not work. Some Googling and browsing this site's wiki has not revealed it to me, though; are you sure you have the model number right? Can you provide a link to it?

Pro-96/2096 and the Pro-104/197 are the only Radio Shack scanners I know of which are digital-capable. There are additional Uniden- and GRE-branded models which would work as well.

Jim

robbinsj2

Shoot, too many numbers going through my head (thanks for catching that, Michael) and now I can't edit it. My prior post should list the 96/2096 and 106/197 as the only digital Radio Shack scanners.

iExtremeRisk

I think I'm familiar with all the mainstream digital scanners but I've never heard of the Pro-104 so I am inclined to say that it will not work. Some Googling and browsing this site's wiki has not revealed it to me, though; are you sure you have the model number right? Can you provide a link to it?

Pro-96/2096 and the Pro-104/197 are the only Radio Shack scanners I know of which are digital-capable. There are additional Uniden- and GRE-branded models which would work as well.

Jim

CORRECTION, it is the Pro-404, sorry about that, but here you go; RadioShack PRO-404 200-Channel Handheld Scanner : Handheld Scanners | RadioShack.com

KC2zZe

The PRO-404 is NOT an APCO P25 digital capable scanner (the giveaway was the price), therefore you will not be able to monitor the Perth Amboy Police with it. Go for a Uniden Bearcat BCD396XT and use Assaf's FreeSCAN from sixspotsoftware.com to program it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.