Phoenix Area Uniden SDS100 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azgunguy

I just wanted to make a quick initial review of the SDS100. @KR7CQ Did a fantastic write up regarding the SDS100 and it is certainly more in-depth than mine will be. I picked this scanner up from HRO on Friday 12/21/2018 and I was admittedly a bit apprehensive. My current scanner is a BCD996P2 and it honestly is less than stellar. The audio is choppy, the p25 filter constantly needs to be changed depending on which simulcast system I'm listening to, and so on. I have also had several other digital scanners like the BCD346HP, and the Uniden Home Patrol 1 to name a couple. This one definitely takes the cake.

As far as physical appearance goes I'd give it a 7.5-8/10. The battery protrudes from the rear like a cell phone from 1999, it doesnt have a heavy duty feel (like an XTS5k which is a totally different animal), and the buttons are not very tactile. The buttons I can live with because it does allow for it to be water resistant which is nice. The display screen is incredible however. It blows the socks off the 436HP and is completely customizable in every facet. Everything is very legible and allows for quick identification of what/who youre listening to.

While its appearance has some draw backs its performance 100% makes up for it, and I'd give it a 9.7/10 (no such thing as a perfect scanner but this is close). I live in Scottsdale in an apartment and with the factory rubber duck antenna I can hear calls crystal clear in Gilbert, Chandler, Mesa, Tempe, Scottsdale, Phoenix, Peoria, Glendale, Peoria, and most Maricopa County Sheriff's Office and AZ DPS radio traffic. With my BCD996P2 I'd get a traffic from dispatch and the first part of the transmission is cut off, and it would cut in and out unless I had my P25 filter set just right. Also the fact that you can lock onto whatever simulcast system you want really plays an integral role in getting better reception, as it doesnt have to scan through all the other various simulcast systems.

As a plug and play scanner this thing is the bees knees. I know the BCD996P2 is almost half the price of the SDS100, but you definitely get twice the performance from the SDS100. I'm not a radio guru by any means, I've been a HAM for only about 3 years now, but I can't say enough good things about this scanner. In my side by side tests the SDS100 is using the factory antenna while the 996P2 is using a 25-1300mhz discone antenna. In my vehicle I have a tram multi band antenna mounted to an NMO mount on the roof of my tahoe using the BNC to SMA Im expecting criticism regarding my write up and thats okay, Im just writing this and comparing it to my experience with what I have worked with. I have not compared it to a 536HP or a HomePatrol 2. Questions, comments, concerns please post below!

Thank you,
Mike

Azgunguy

Have you had a chance to try uhf dmr or nxden ? Im interested in how well it tracks those :)

UHF I pick up with no problem, granted I only listen to AZ DPS on UHF. But any traffic comes in really well. I have an XTS3000 UHF with DPS freqs, and the SDS100 receives it just as well.

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
I want to buy the SDS100. I have a few questions on plug and play. Sounds great I hope it works!
Do I need to remove the SD card from the SDS100 and plug into the PC to download DB updates and favorites lists created on Sentinel? I have read that it is much faster this way. Is this true with the SDS100?
Also, I want to create a back -up SD card. What is the procedure to create a new SD card? Can Sentinel reformat the card? What size and performance SD card should I use? Should I remove the SD card from the scanner and plug into the PC to create the new SD card? Sorry I have so many questions. Thanks

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
I want to buy the SDS100. I have a few questions on plug and play. Sounds great I hope it works!
Do I need to remove the SD card from the SDS100 and plug into the PC to download DB updates and favorites lists created on Sentinel? I have read that it is much faster this way. Is this true with the SDS100?
Also, I want to create a back -up SD card. What is the procedure to create a new SD card? Can Sentinel reformat the card? What size and performance SD card should I use? Should I remove the SD card from the scanner and plug into the PC to create the new SD card? Sorry I have so many questions. Thanks

You can remove the SD card and format it using sentinel with a card reader, but you can also do that in the scanner with a USB cable. If you want to create a backup, its as simple as saving your settings on sentinel, putting in the new card and using the "write to scanner" option. with a new card, you may need to "clear user data" first. if you need any help, feel free to call us at 1-800-297-1023

Ubbe

No need to remove SD card. BCD436 had a flimsy holder and some people broke it. I don't know the quality of the SD card holder in SDS100 but better not touch that. You can get any size up to 32GB but you probably will never use more than 8GB. The new SD card can be a pretty slow one as the scanner isn't trying to read or write at a very high speed, the scanners interface isn't as fast as for a video camera. Class10 is more than enough.

If you have configured your scanner to work somewhat how you like it you can read it from Sentinel and then you can take a new SD card and put in a $5 USB reader and do the Clear User Data on it and then write to the card and it will be an exact copy of your scanners SD card.

/Ubbe

phask

Premium Subscriber
No need to remove SD card. BCD436 had a flimsy holder and some people broke it. I don't know the quality of the SD card holder in SDS100 but better not touch that. You can get any size up to 32GB but you probably will never use more than 8GB. The new SD card can be a pretty slow one as the scanner isn't trying to read or write at a very high speed, the scanners interface isn't as fast as for a video camera. Class10 is more than enough.

If you have configured your scanner to work somewhat how you like it you can read it from Sentinel and then you can take a new SD card and put in a $5 USB reader and do the Clear User Data on it and then write to the card and it will be an exact copy of your scanners SD card.

/Ubbe
For your info - card holder is the same... flimsy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.