Phoenix fire department talk groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Well, there's definitely some learning required on our part as scanner hobbyists. If you've waited until after the money was spent to find out what you're getting yourself into, then, well, you get what you get.

As far as multi-site trunking, it can be a very strange animal. As was stated earlier, different sites carry different traffic, depending upon configuration and user affiliation, etc.If you're trying to receive traffic that's local to where you are, then you'll probably be successful. If you're trying to receive distant traffic, your results will likely be hit and miss. Remember, none of this was designed for scanner enthusiasts. We have to be happy with what we get and be willing to learn. I wish you well in your endeavor.

In reality things are easier now than they were when I started scanning Phoenix fire and PD. Up until the early 2000's, most PPD and PFD traffic didn't involve repeaters. Only the hot calls went on UHF repeaters and that was just PD. Most traffic was VHF, and mobile to tower was only heard by the Phoenix radio tower, scanner users very close to the patrol car or fire vehicle, or those like myself that built a tower to get my antenna up at 75' above ground. That was a serious amount of work and money, and though I could hear most transmissions, I still couldn't hear them all.

In 2019 it's pretty easy to get a small 700 MHz yagi pointed towards a site and once you get a decent signal you will hear all transmissions (unless encrypted of course). Phoenix fire medical K DEC traffic is still mostly unencrypted so you can hear almost everything. VHF analog A DEC fire ground traffic takes as much effort to monitor as it did 30 years ago though.

dumasjc

In reality things are easier now than they were when I started scanning Phoenix fire and PD. Up until the early 2000's, most PPD and PFD traffic didn't involve repeaters. Only the hot calls went on UHF repeaters and that was just PD. Most traffic was VHF, and mobile to tower was only heard by the Phoenix radio tower, scanner users very close to the patrol car or fire vehicle, or those like myself that built a tower to get my antenna up at 75' above ground. That was a serious amount of work and money, and though I could hear most transmissions, I still couldn't hear them all.

In 2019 it's pretty easy to get a small 700 MHz yagi pointed towards a site and once you get a decent signal you will hear all transmissions (unless encrypted of course). Phoenix fire medical K DEC traffic is still mostly unencrypted so you can hear almost everything. VHF analog A DEC fire ground traffic takes as much effort to monitor as it did 30 years ago though.
Thanks for all your feedback and encouragement, I just ordered a base antenna for the 800mhz range if that doesn't work I will try an outdoor Yagi. I purchased a scanner 10 years ago and it was so frustrating trying to listen to anything I sold it. Sure like the SDS 200 it definitely makes things easier. Which direction do you point your Yagi antenna at.

Paysonscanner

You've come to the right place. It was the same for me when I first started monitoring these systems. You'll get there.

You might want to check the following link. It was a big help to me, when I first moved here.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Phoenix_Area_Trunked_Radio_System_Quick_Guide

Enjoy!

A big thanks for the Wiki link! I just moved to Payson earlier this year. I'm still trying to figure out Gila County completely and am also trying to figure out what I can hear from the bordering counties. I have family in the Tempe/Mesa that I will be visiting and haven't looked forward to figuring out the trunked systems down there. It looks like this Wiki article will help getting a start.

Last edited:

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
A big thanks for the Wiki link! I just moved to Payson earlier this year. I'm still trying to figure out Gila Country completely and am also trying to figure out what I can receive from the adjacent counties. I have some family in the Tempe/Mesa area that I will be visiting and haven't looked forward to figuring out the trunked systems down there. It looks like this Wiki article will help getting a start.
You're very welcome. That really helped me a lot. When you think of the system as a bunch of smaller systems within one, it makes it a lot easier. I do have an RWC master system, but I mostly operate them as smaller individual ones, as shown in the wiki.

jjbond

Banned
Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.