Pi-Star v4.0 available

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2xq

Mentor
Pi-Star 4.0 RC2 (Release Candidate 2) dated January 11 is now available in the beta downloads section of the website. It requires a new installation. An update from the Configuration tab of the Dashboard will not upgrade from the current v3.4.xx. See Amateur radio: Pi-Star notes for the easy how--to directions.

I used a new card, keeping 3.4.16 in hand. (A v3.4.17 was released in late December.) I am only running DMR, no cross-mode or anything out of the norm.

The most difficult task was to download the ZIPped image file. Pi-Star servers apparently are busy and it took me about 20 minutes to get the file. The preparation of the SD card took about 5 minutes, including dropping the backup configuration ZIP onto the card's root directory. The Chinese Jumbospot took about 3 minutes to come alive with all configuration settings, including 3 WiFi entries, intact and in place.

T'was simple stupid. If I could do it... YMMV.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Good information! I'm holding off until it goes public out of the RC# version phase. 3.4.17 seems to be getting the job done for now. Especially when I turn all the stuff on. :)

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
RC3 dropped today.
sudo-pistar update then sudo pistar-upgrade.

I've had no issues on all three of my spots (2 simplex 1 duplex) with the RC versions.

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
are the conf files still the same format? Anyone else just move those over to v4 post install? ircddb is probably still the same. But how about the others?

Guess I can find out myself.. have to do this X3.

w2xq

Mentor
are the conf files still the same format?

Yes. The changeover is straightforward as described by Toshen.

(1) Backup your settings; it is a ZIP file. (2) Download Pi-Star 4.0 from the pistar.uk website and unZIP it. (3) Use Etcher or equivalent to put the image on the SD card. (4) Copy the backed-up configuration ZIP file to the SD root directory. (5) Put the SD card in the hotspot and power up the hotspot. (6) Wait 2-3:minutes while everything wakes up.

I didn't bother backing up each hotspot's configuration, so I had to adjust the TX/RX offset on the second hotspot. Quick to do.

HTH.

w2xq

Mentor
A minor update: a February 4 update freezes the Dashboard. If the date isn't 20190205, a Configuration>Update retrieves the binaries that correct the problem.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
I am still using 3.16 on a zumspot. with a Pi zero. Is there any benefit to upgrade to 3.17 or to 4?

w2xq

Mentor
In my opinion v4 is a worthwhile upgrade for the speed, if nothing else. There are more cross-modes. But if your hotspot is working well...

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for update Tom about Pi Star 4. I have three Zumspots and will update them. BTW, note the QSO between K5MPH and W2XQ. Is there a DMR TG you hang out on? One that scanner enthusiasts been using? Thanks.

w2xq

Mentor
CQ, I have read numerous posts on the pistar.uk forum from persons using the 3B+ with v4. It seems the main complaint is that the board runs a bit warmer. HTH.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
(1) Backup your settings; it is a ZIP file.
(2) Download Pi-Star 4.0 from the pistar.uk website and unZIP it.
(3) Use Etcher or equivalent to put the image on the SD card.
(4) Copy the backed-up configuration ZIP file to the SD root directory.
(5) Put the SD card in the hotspot and power up the hotspot.
(6) Wait 2-3:minutes while everything wakes up.

HTH.
Tom,
Thanks for the punch list. I was holding off until public release, but after the second glass of wine... Well you know how it ended. :)

CQ

CQ, I have read numerous posts on the pistar.uk forum from persons using the 3B+ with v4. It seems the main complaint is that the board runs a bit warmer. HTH.

Wondering if doing a combo heat sink and fan would do the trick.

1318_Pi3B-Basic-Bundle_PiShop__04337.1539128257.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.