picking up air traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

lugoffman

i programed some air traffic frequencys in my pro97 and i live no were neer a airport the only closes airport is in camden south carolina and columbia which columbia airport is like 50 or 60 miles and im picking up columbia airport would that be a fly over traffic im hearing or is it really picking stuff up at the airport im using a stock antenna

N1BHH

Unless your on a high spot looking down into the airport, you are only hearing aircraft, which have a large footprint at altitude. Air Traffic Control Centers use remote transmitter sites which are many miles away from the center.

lugoffman

N1BHH said:
Unless your on a high spot looking down into the airport, you are only hearing aircraft, which have a large footprint at altitude. Air Traffic Control Centers use remote transmitter sites which are many miles away from the center.
ok so its just fly overs or somthing cause i live in kershaw county south carolina and there airport is far away except for camden air port which is a small air port

Last edited:

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Air traffic

lugoffman said:
i programed some air traffic frequencys in my pro97 and i live no were neer a airport the only closes airport is in camden south carolina and columbia which columbia airport is like 50 or 60 miles and im picking up columbia airport would that be a fly over traffic im hearing or is it really picking stuff up at the airport im using a stock antenna

Look up the freqs for the nearest MAJOR airport. Look for Approach Control, Departure Control and regional "Center" freqs. Airliners start letting down 100 miles from the airport and talk to various facilities along the way. It may not be terribly interesting but you should be able to get *something."

lugoffman

NW0U said:
Look up the freqs for the nearest MAJOR airport. Look for Approach Control, Departure Control and regional "Center" freqs. Airliners start letting down 100 miles from the airport and talk to various facilities along the way. It may not be terribly interesting but you should be able to get *something."
ok will do thanks for the info

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
A little more explanation

lugoffman said:
ok will do thanks for the info

It's not a brushoff or nonsense.

I've been able to listen to an airliner carrying my wife home from Chicago to Denver. I picked up the flight talking to Denver center as it was over Nebraska then as it switched to Denver approach control then tower then ground control.

This with a magnetic mount antenna on top of my car.

There's more to aircraft comms than what takes place at airports.

You live right on the border of Atlanta ARTCC and Jacksonville ARTCC. In your location, there will be hundreds of airline flights and business jets at high altitude that will be heading north-south passing overhead going to/from Florida destinations alone. ARTCC high sectors above 24,000 feet provide excellent signals. ARTCC high sector frequencies will be found in the 118.0-128.825 and 132.025-135.975 range of frequencies.

Search the 126 128.85-132.0 airline ops frequencies and you'll hear numerous airline flights calling the Atlanta and Charlotte airports with arrival messages.

The nationwide ARINC network is nothing like it used to be, but those frequencies still produce lots of interesting comms on a daily basis that include phone patches. 129.45 is the frequency above you, 130.2 is just to your west and 131.175 begins approximately 125 miles to your south.

Mark Holmes
Marion, IL

lugoffman

i dont know the next time i here i will look and see what frequency it is and maybe you can tell me more but its fun to listen to and another thing when i was listening to it a plain that i could not see but hear was flying directly over me and they were saying somthing about they were at 6000 feet and then a little bit later they said corecttion 16000 feet and then i got some static

Status
Not open for further replies.