Picking up AO-51

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I have been trying to pick up some satellites ... without success. I would like to get some assistance on what I need to do ? I am trying to pick up AO-51 satellite on 435.3000 MHz. I hope that this is the correct frequency. I got it from amsat.org. I am using a PSR500 scanner as this is all I have that will pick up that frequency. I have a 2m handheld as well but it doesn't do 70 cm. So .. I am not hearing anything at all. What would you recommend that I do in order to pick up AO-51 ? Is there a better satellite that I should be trying to work. Maybe the ISS ? I am also looking for some good satellite tracking program that is freeware and will show me passes for the ISS and any other amateur capable satellite. I am a newbie as far as this is concerned, so any help would be appreciated.

NO_GUY

Finish off, what type of antenna are you using?? Are you using dopler shifting??? Do you have a preamp??

Sorry to ask so many questions, but to be able to help you, we need more info..

SCPD

QRT
I am not using dopler shifting ... even when the satellite is near (what I would think of as directly overhead or over the horizon) I don't hear anything at all. I am just using a diamond VHF/UHF antenna on the scanner. As far as antenna I am thinking about getting a Arrow 2 vhf/uhf satellite antenna. The only thing ... with that antenna do I need to get the one with the duplexer ?

WB2UZR

Kevin:

Check out the AMSAT web site AMSAT - The Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation it has lots of info on amateur satellites. Take a look at the operating schedule for AO51, they switch modes and frequencies sometime, as well as downlink power levels. You should be able to hear it with an HT outside, make sure you open the squelch all the way, as well as orient the antenna toward the satellite as it passes over. It's a bit tricky to co-ordinate everything, as you can imagine!

As far as sat tracking programs, I like Orbitron myself, although there are others. N2YO has a nice site as well.

This site Work the FM Ham Satellites has some good info, with a PDF to help with any questions.

Do a search for AO51, there are some videos as well as lots of info available

Let me know if you have any other questions

Scott/WB2UZR

WB2UZR

I am not using dopler shifting ... even when the satellite is near (what I would think of as directly overhead or over the horizon) I don't hear anything at all. I am just using a diamond VHF/UHF antenna on the scanner. As far as antenna I am thinking about getting a Arrow 2 vhf/uhf satellite antenna. The only thing ... with that antenna do I need to get the one with the duplexer ?

As far as the duplexer goes, are you a ham, and will you be transmitting up to the satellite, or are you just going to be listening? The duplexer combines the uplink and downlink side into one cable.

Scott/WB2UZR

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
A few more tips; I QSO on AO-51 occasionally with my VX-8R and a handheld Arrow beam antenna:

1. #1 tip per Scott: you HAVE to check the operating schedule! (Downlink is on 435.3 through 6/21/2010).

2. AO-51 is probably the easiest satellite to hear.

3. Were you outside at the right time? Where did you get the time for the pass?

4. KNOW which direction the pass will be rising, peaking, and falling (ex: starts at NW, ends at SE), so you know where to aim your antenna!

5. For beginning listening, don't worry about the doppler frequency shift. Just open the squelch. As the satellite makes its pass, you'll hear some degree of quieting, and even distant voices in the gradually-quieting hash. Then you know you have it!

6. Don't be afraid to keep adjusting the orientation of your antenna (straight up, sideways, 45 degree angle). This will help you find the signal. Let your ears guide you.

I also use Orbitron. A while back I tried Satscape, which provides a nice 3D globe view, but I recall it was a little unstable under XP. I went back to Orbitron.

WB2UZR

All good tips by eorange. You shouldn't have any trouble hearing AO51, especially on a higher elevation pass.

You mentioned the ISS. It hasn't been very active for quite a while now except for the school contacts. When Mike Fincke was aboard, he was very active, but nothing since then to speak of. You can try 145.825 for the packet signals, or 145.800 for voice ops. Take a look at the iss fanclub website for ISS info and frequencies:
ISS Fan Club | get in touch with the International Space Station

Scott/WB2UZR

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for all the tips. I am now running Orbitron and like it very much. It is nice software.

I am thinking I will get an Arrow 2 antenna.

I think I will concentrate on AO-51 and worry about other things (including ISS) later.

JeremyB

Go to the arrow antenna website and watch moleculo's video, he explains how to use a rubber duck to pick up AO-51. I was able to pick up AO-51 on an amateur radio with the rubber duck(SRH77CA) but it can be a bit of a pain, and a scanners programmed freq steps may be a problem. If you get the arrow, you probably wont need the duplexer but it may be cheaper in the long run, compared to 3 BNC cables, and a T to do the same as the duplexer

D

DaveNF2G

AO-51 and ISS are very easy to receive. I get them in my car quite often. All you need is a visible pass and the active downlink frequency - plus a receiver and antenna. AO-51 has been worked with handhelds on rubber duckies, but everything is better with a "real" antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.