Piscataway on Somerset County Trunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikea7531

Feed Provider
Talkgroup 15088 Analog: I have been hearing Piscataway Police on here all morning. I've heard references to the Halper Farm, 44 Woodland Ave, Possumtown Rd, and Centenial Ave. Anyone have any ideas as to why they are on there? I'm thoroughly confused :confused:

Apparently the TRS took a dump, because I can't even pick up a control channel, and I normally recieve them loud and clear. Hope its back up soon. Any idea as to why they would be using the Somerset County TRS as a back-up though?

mikea7531

Feed Provider
According to Trunker - Piscataway PD is using loaner radios from Somerset County OEM , these are radios that have been used for the 4H fair, and the Bike Races back in May.

robbinsj2

I'm pretty sure I heard some coverage testing on that TGID last week, and the timing is very convenient (Monday AM, right after the radios came back from the 4-H fair). Maybe Piscataway is having some scheduled maintenance done?

Why Somerset's system? I would think they have as good coverage of Piscataway as anybody else, and they certainly have more excess capacity (currently) than any other system around. Several of the voice channels the system is capable of are not used at all in a typical week. (This ought to change as more users switch over.)

mikea7531

Feed Provider
Today was the first time i've seen this talkgroup in use. I verified this with Trunker, and i haven't seen any affilitations to 15088 until today.

Tech792

This morning, an announcement was made to all fire depts that the Twp-wide radio system would be down till around noon today or maybe longer. Fire Cos were to use the old back-up frequency. (I'm assuming 33.82)

Tech792 said:
This morning, an announcement was made to all fire depts that the Twp-wide radio system would be down till around noon today or maybe longer. Fire Cos were to use the old back-up frequency. (I'm assuming 33.82)

I belive the old back-up frequency is eaither 155.7800 or 158.7800. I belive 33.82 is just paging for Piscataway. Good to know it seems as if this is just scheduled maintanance and not some sort of problem with the system.

robbinsj2

mikea7531 said:
Today was the first time i've seen this talkgroup in use. I verified this with Trunker, and i haven't seen any affilitations to 15088 until today.
My Trunker logs don't seem to correspond to yours. Perhaps yours was on another system at the time, or there's some sort of glitch? I logged 8 transmissions up until 8/04, and 23 total through last night, when I switched it to another system. Looking through the page file, 1107 and 1110 were affiliating with 15088 starting on 8/03 at about 0900, and many more started on 8/08 and 8/09. Per notes I had at home, it was 15088 on which I heard limited (and geographically non-specific, when I was listening) coverage testing being done last week.

If you'd like me to e-mail my 8a27page.txt for comparison, let me know.

Joseph11

Erik_T_Romatowski said:
I belive the old back-up frequency is eaither 155.7800 or 158.7800. I belive 33.82 is just paging for Piscataway. Good to know it seems as if this is just scheduled maintanance and not some sort of problem with the system.

155.7800 MHz and 158.7800 MHz are not valid frequencies.

Joseph11

Thanks for looking.

BTW, John Burricelli's Middlesex County PDF has a PL tone of 186.2 Hz listed for that.

mikea7531

Feed Provider
robbinsj2 said:
My Trunker logs don't seem to correspond to yours. Perhaps yours was on another system at the time, or there's some sort of glitch?
It's possible that my trunker just didn't pick it up - i'm using the new Windows port of Trunker, and i'm having the problem of it switching back and forth between 1234 and 8a27.

Joseph11

Try using r00t's port of Trunker to Win32. It works very well with the Ocean County TRS.

mikea7531

Feed Provider
I did use that port - but it crashes every so often (At least a few times a day). This port i'm currently using hasn't crashed yet - the only problem is the SysID problem. I have sent EricCottrell a one minute wav file of my trunking system, supposidly he's going to fix the problem.

robbinsj2 said:
Why Somerset's system? I would think they have as good coverage of Piscataway as anybody else, and they certainly have more excess capacity (currently) than any other system around.
This is a trend happening around the country with respect to trunking systems. Here near St. Louis, a newer countywide system across the river in Illinois is capable of backing up the City of St. Louis if anything happened to their system (if St. Louis upgraded their equipment - the new system is a digital only and St. Louis still has most of its equipment analog only, but has a deployable cache). Likewise, several municipalities here have their system key and a few talkgroups programmed into their neighbors' radios just in case something happens.

For us out here, this is a step towards a larger connected zoned system which lets users travel around the coverage areas of different systems and track interoperability talkgroups through the roaming system based on the sites the car or portable registers into. Missouri set aside $2M for a P25 master site controller to link trunked systems in the area together in that manner. Unfortunately, trunking out here hasn't caught on and there are still departments hoarding 28 discrete VHF channels, most which are rarely used.

If Piscataway and Somerset County someday tied their site controllers together, there would be seamless coverage throughout both areas.

And, maybe not. It might be as simple as system failure and a phone call to borrow a set of radios, although they could probably program the system and a spare TG or two into what they had, if they were given permission.

This was a couple of days ago. Has anyone got the skinny on that?

902 said:
This is a trend happening around the country with respect to trunking systems. Here near St. Louis, a newer countywide system across the river in Illinois is capable of backing up the City of St. Louis if anything happened to their system (if St. Louis upgraded their equipment - the new system is a digital only and St. Louis still has most of its equipment analog only, but has a deployable cache). Likewise, several municipalities here have their system key and a few talkgroups programmed into their neighbors' radios just in case something happens.

For us out here, this is a step towards a larger connected zoned system which lets users travel around the coverage areas of different systems and track interoperability talkgroups through the roaming system based on the sites the car or portable registers into. Missouri set aside $2M for a P25 master site controller to link trunked systems in the area together in that manner. Unfortunately, trunking out here hasn't caught on and there are still departments hoarding 28 discrete VHF channels, most which are rarely used.

If Piscataway and Somerset County someday tied their site controllers together, there would be seamless coverage throughout both areas.

And, maybe not. It might be as simple as system failure and a phone call to borrow a set of radios, although they could probably program the system and a spare TG or two into what they had, if they were given permission.

This was a couple of days ago. Has anyone got the skinny on that?

The system was just down for some maintanance and instalation of some new equipment at the dispatch center.

Status
Not open for further replies.