Piscataway Twp TRS Upgrade

W2SJW

Database Admin
I had this forwarded to my by a close friend that lives there in-town. The glaring inconsistencies in this article are laughable.

Being that TPS is involved, this most likely going to be a Harris P25IP system. Don't get your hopes up that any of the volunteer emergency services in the township will be in the clear on this new system (but one can hope).

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/pisca...ce-aging-radio-system-with-digital-technology

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
So it's replacing the 4B5 ASTRO 25 system? Oh how cute, they're still referencing the long-dead T-Band giveback as a "FEDERAL MANDATE!" to move to 700 MHz. What a joke.

Oh yeah, they already have WRUG387 licensed since 2022. They're in the process of applying for 3 additional subsites and are correcting one of the frequencies that is wrong on the license.

W2SJW

Database Admin
So it's replacing the 4B5 ASTRO 25 system? Oh how cute, they're still referencing the long-dead T-Band giveback as a "FEDERAL MANDATE!" to move to 700 MHz. What a joke.
Ding-ding-ding! We have a winner! The 'federal mandate' BS was also used to 'confuse' the residents during public meetings regarding the original UHF P25 upgrade into making them think that 'full encryption' was part of the mandate to be compliant.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
To be fair, the actual application cites "DTV interference" for the reason to move to 700 MHz, which is legit. But yeah, throwing around terms like "federal mandate" is laughable, however it's also likely that some actually believe it to be true.

W2SJW

Database Admin
To be fair, the actual application cites "DTV interference" for the reason to move to 700 MHz, which is legit. But yeah, throwing around terms like "federal mandate" is laughable, however it's also likely that some actually believe it to be true.
My apologies if I wasn't clear - the 'pulling the wool' stunt was pulled during the original upgrade from the Type-II SmartNet system to P25. I know DTV interference is no-joke in parts of central & south Jersey.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
My apologies if I wasn't clear - the 'pulling the wool' stunt was pulled during the original upgrade from the Type-II SmartNet system to P25. I know DTV interference is no-joke in parts of central & south Jersey.
Indeed, I was referencing the news article where they're still leaning on that good old "federal mandate" red herring.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
This thread is nearly a half hour old and still no DTV tropo interference graph and plots from @rr60 to show how bad Piscataway gets hit...slacker.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if this might become part of the Middlesex County system.

Certainly the vendor has strong ties.

“Wahler credited Congressman Frank Palone, Jr. (D-06) and Senator Corey Booker with securing federal grants to cover the costs of upgrading its police radio system, which will also improve interoperability between the township and other police agencies.”

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

“Wahler credited Congressman Frank Palone, Jr. (D-06) and Senator Corey Booker with securing federal grants to cover the costs of upgrading its police radio system, which will also improve interoperability between the township and other police agencies.”
That could simply mean that as both systems will now operate in the 700 MHz spectrum, it will be easier to interop between them as the subscribers are in the same band. Or that they will tie them together via ISSI, making roaming even more seamless.

devicenull

Unless Wahler gets booted out in the upcoming election, I very much doubt it.

X9009X

Piscataway will be a standalone system just like Sayreville is, with ISSI connection back to County.
700 Mhz frequencies on the operating side.

Reactions: GM

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Piscataway will be a standalone system just like Sayreville is, with ISSI connection back to County.
700 Mhz frequencies on the operating side.
Thanks!

tomk62

Just curious - when Franklin (Somerset) fire companies (East Franklin) go mutual aid into Piscataway, how do they communicate? Do they have access to Piscataway's system?