Tecsun PL-600 Single Side Band Audio Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Before I attempt to mod my new radio I want a good explanation why such long leads? I am referencing an old topic https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/tecsun-pl-600-teardown-for-ssb-audio-modifications.376981/

I don't know why we couldn't just use a bit of heat shrink tubing that will fit on the resistor's leads jumping from pin #18 to ground of the radio. It would look better and work just the same.

If the mod was truly a good improvement you might find new ones are already modified in production. The guy probably left the leads long so he didn't burn his fingers! :eek:

majoco

Stirrer
He has used a physically large resistor - and the ground point he has used is only one of many others so it should be possible to get a better fit. I wouldn't use any insulating tape either - some of those circuits are rather high impedance and there's no guarantee that the adhesive is not even slightly conductive enough to change some parameters.

S

simpilo

He has used a physically large resistor - and the ground point he has used is only one of many others so it should be possible to get a better fit. I wouldn't use any insulating tape either - some of those circuits are rather high impedance and there's no guarantee that the adhesive is not even slightly conductive enough to change some parameters.

I figured this was the case. I think I'll leave it alone. For now it has developed a 1khz drift off frequency. I really don't feel like messing with the time waiting for a replacement. I hope a easy fix is available.

majoco

Stirrer
" For now it has developed a 1khz drift off frequency. "

Just check that it's the same for wide and narrow bandwidths - mine is pretty near the centre for the narrow bandwidth but it's certainly about 1kHz low on the wide bandwidth - just check on a BC band station and see where you get the best sound - don't rely on the BFO note.

S

simpilo

" For now it has developed a 1khz drift off frequency. "

Just check that it's the same for wide and narrow bandwidths - mine is pretty near the centre for the narrow bandwidth but it's certainly about 1kHz low on the wide bandwidth - just check on a BC band station and see where you get the best sound - don't rely on the BFO note.

That's exactly whats going on. It's low 1khz. Kind of bugs me.

Boombox

I looked over the mod link above. The PL-600 has a TA2057, not a DSP chip. I wasn't aware of that. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.