• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Tecsun PL-600 Single Side Band Audio Mod

simpilo

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Before I attempt to mod my new radio I want a good explanation why such long leads? I am referencing an old topic https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/tecsun-pl-600-teardown-for-ssb-audio-modifications.376981/

I don't know why we couldn't just use a bit of heat shrink tubing that will fit on the resistor's leads jumping from pin #18 to ground of the radio. It would look better and work just the same.
If the mod was truly a good improvement you might find new ones are already modified in production. The guy probably left the leads long so he didn't burn his fingers! :eek:

majoco

He has used a physically large resistor - and the ground point he has used is only one of many others so it should be possible to get a better fit. I wouldn't use any insulating tape either - some of those circuits are rather high impedance and there's no guarantee that the adhesive is not even slightly conductive enough to change some parameters.

simpilo

He has used a physically large resistor - and the ground point he has used is only one of many others so it should be possible to get a better fit. I wouldn't use any insulating tape either - some of those circuits are rather high impedance and there's no guarantee that the adhesive is not even slightly conductive enough to change some parameters.
I figured this was the case. I think I'll leave it alone. For now it has developed a 1khz drift off frequency. I really don't feel like messing with the time waiting for a replacement. I hope a easy fix is available.

majoco

" For now it has developed a 1khz drift off frequency. "

Just check that it's the same for wide and narrow bandwidths - mine is pretty near the centre for the narrow bandwidth but it's certainly about 1kHz low on the wide bandwidth - just check on a BC band station and see where you get the best sound - don't rely on the BFO note.

simpilo

" For now it has developed a 1khz drift off frequency. "

Just check that it's the same for wide and narrow bandwidths - mine is pretty near the centre for the narrow bandwidth but it's certainly about 1kHz low on the wide bandwidth - just check on a BC band station and see where you get the best sound - don't rely on the BFO note.
That's exactly whats going on. It's low 1khz. Kind of bugs me.

Boombox

I looked over the mod link above. The PL-600 has a TA2057, not a DSP chip. I wasn't aware of that. Interesting.