Please help me set up DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoggorm

Hi,

I'm having problems receiving anything on DMR. Since I'm sure I'm doing something wrong I was hoping you could give me a helping hand and assist me with a step-by-step guide on how to listen to DMR systems. I have the latest firmware updated via Sentinel (I do not use beta versions).

Current firmware installed is: 1.11.15

I've tried to use both conventional and DMR One Frequency but neither seem to work. I have many other radios and when listening to a specific frequency that I know use DMR I can hear data transmissions on that frequency with those other radios. My 536HP however is silent. It does not stop on these frequencies when scanning nor does it receive anything if holding on the frequencies.

This is the only information I have for two known users. Both are repeater transmit frequencies:

425.6375 Voice/Data DMR (A zoo)

166.5250 Voice DMR (A bus company)

So how do I program this into my 536HP using Sentinel? As mentioned I'd love a step-by-step guide as I've tried several different solutions without luck...

Thank you very much!

KD1UA

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I'm having problems receiving anything on DMR. Since I'm sure I'm doing something wrong I was hoping you could give me a helping hand and assist me with a step-by-step guide on how to listen to DMR systems. I have the latest firmware updated via Sentinel (I do not use beta versions).

Current firmware installed is: 1.11.15

I've tried to use both conventional and DMR One Frequency but neither seem to work. I have many other radios and when listening to a specific frequency that I know use DMR I can hear data transmissions on that frequency with those other radios. My 536HP however is silent. It does not stop on these frequencies when scanning nor does it receive anything if holding on the frequencies.

This is the only information I have for two known users. Both are repeater transmit frequencies:

425.6375 Voice/Data DMR (A zoo)

166.5250 Voice DMR (A bus company)

So how do I program this into my 536HP using Sentinel? As mentioned I'd love a step-by-step guide as I've tried several different solutions without luck...

Thank you very much!

go to this website and read the info, follow instructions and you will be all set.

Sentinel Advanced Quick Import

Hoggorm

I failed to mention that I live in Norway, Europe. Hence the information on that website is of little use to me unfortunately...

As mentioned, I do have the frequency I want to monitor, but my attempts to program it into the radio seem to fail...

racingfan360

Hopefully these steps that work for a 436 will work for your 536....

Go to MENU > Srch/CloCal Opt > Digital Wait time set to 400ms, Digital Threshold set to Manual, Digital Threshold Level set to 5.

Check that modulation = FM.

Manually tune to one of your DMR frequencies.

Does that work? (You should be able to check the frequency with one of your other radios if there is a long burst of voice traffic vs just hearing the short periodic data signals).

racingfan360

>The scanner does not pass audio for DMR in search mode.
I'm not sure that's right.....if the 536 is fundamentally the same as the 436, it should work when you hold on a freq in VFO/search mode.

But as buddrousa says, you don't appear to be receiving any signal on the 536. And you do realize that's' a DMR Data transmission that your listening to and not a voice transmission: the voice traffic will make a kinda warbling noise. But you should be seeing a color code being displayed and a DMR/CAP/XPT indication even on a data signal - that is, if the 536 was actually receiving a signal.You could try and see if the 536 can receive the signal in analogue mode, just like your kenwood, to start with.

Hoggorm

> And you do realize that's' a DMR Data transmission that your listening to and not a voice transmission: the voice traffic will make a kinda warbling noise

No, I was not aware of that, but that's very good to know! Thank you!

It is true that it appears as if the scanner does not pick up any signal on the frequency. It is very strange however.

The signal is strong, and easily picked up by the Kenwood as you can hear. The antenna for the 536 is located at a better location and usually it picks up signals that are too weak for the Kenwood.

Also - another strange thing is that before the DMR firmware the scanner picked up these kind of data transmissions on several frequencies (including the one in the video). Because of this I had to set them all to Avoid. After upgrading to the DMR firmware I've never heard any data transmissions via the 536 at all. Even after cancelling the Avoid on all known data frequencies... Today I include all known frequencies sending data, but I never hear anything on them.

It is as if the scanner just ignores data transmissions...

racingfan360

Just spotted in your video that you seem to have a SCR (Screen) activated. I'd suggest you disable all of them, as one of them might be covering the 166MHz band you're after?

This is what a voice transmission will probably sound like......you will hear there are subtle variations in the sound of the signal, then you get a more regular saw noise at the end. A data-only signal will have a very regular pattern sound to it.
http://www.w2sjw.com/sounds/DMR_TDMA.mp3

It is as if the scanner just ignores data transmissions...
On a data channel/transmission, it should decode, you'll see a signal bar, a color code and an indication of DMR, CAP or XPT depending on the system in use. You won't see any TGID or UIDs, and you won't hear any voice decode.

Hoggorm

I see! Thank you very much for the MP3 file. After listening on the frequency using the Kenwood for some time I believe there could be both data and voice transmissions.

I see that in Sentinel - Edit Profile - Broadcast Screen menu, Preset Broadcast Pager is selected (have a tick). The others are off (have no tick). Is this something I have to change perhaps? Or is the Screen you mention something else?

Edit: I turned that off, but still no joy... The Kenwood picks up transmissions on the frequency, but the 536 do not...

Last edited:

racingfan360

Edit: I turned that off, but still no joy... The Kenwood picks up transmissions on the frequency, but the 536 do not...

Are you able to receive anything - even if it's analogue - on VHF or UHF on the 536? Based on the info provided, it still appears your 536 is not receiving a signal to decode.

BC_Scan

Having re-read this a couple of times It says you are trying to listen to the TRANSMIT freq of the repeater, generally speaking you listen to the receive freq of the pair in a duplex system, if you a listening to the mobile TX this could be your issue, just to clarify aka the repeater tx is the scanner receive freq, you should be able to put scanner in search mode and when it picks up a receive freq what do you hear ? Can that scanner receive anything ? a Close call it or a always on weather transmission or amateur repeater you may have a faulty antennae connector ?

Hoggorm

Can that scanner receive anything ? a Close call it or a always on weather transmission or amateur repeater you may have a faulty antennae connector ?

Oh yes, the scanner receives anything analog - air band, Ham radio, hunters, maritime, you name it. Anything that is analog. It did also receive data/digital (as in the video above) before I installed the DMR upgrade. Since then it has only received analog...

Regarding receive frequency: I listen to the repeater transmit frequency yes, because that is what the repeater sends out. Listening to the repeater receive frequency would only give hits on mobile stations that are relatively close to my receiver. I do have the repeater receive frequency as well. It is 8 MHz below (158.525). I've not tried to listen to it though...

racingfan360

Ummm....Im running out of ideas.

Have you tried turning the squelch on your 536 down to zero, and listening to see if you can hear the DMR carrier at the same time you hear it on one of your other receivers?

BC_Scan

Silly question did you pay for DMR key ?
I have noticed if I am too far away from repeater ,scanner is deaf I have tried different antennae's as well. Not sure if you have a band specific antennae ?
Might just be out of range

Hoggorm

Ummm....Im running out of ideas.

Have you tried turning the squelch on your 536 down to zero, and listening to see if you can hear the DMR carrier at the same time you hear it on one of your other receivers?

Yes - with the same result unfortunately. It makes no difference... But please take a look at the video at the bottom this post. It is a test I did with the stock antenna.

Silly question did you pay for DMR key ?
I have noticed if I am too far away from repeater ,scanner is deaf I have tried different antennae's as well. Not sure if you have a band specific antennae ?
Might just be out of range

I have paid for the DMR key, yes. I have however been somewhat concerned the last few days that DMR might be something else here in Norway than what it is in the US. I would expect DMR to be a standard all over the world, but you never know...

I just tried to replace the antenna I'm using (Comet DS-150S Discone antenna: Comet DS150S Discone Scanner Antenna) with the stock antenna, and something actually happened for the first time since the DMR upgrade. I do not know what has happened. Maybe an issue with my antenna. The strange thing, as mentioned earlier, is that the "loss" of data reception occurred at the same time as I upgraded with the DMR Firmware...

Here is a link to a video. Is this more as you would expect to see? The squelch is at 0, so the static noise is from the 536. The data sound is from the Kenwood so that I could hear if a signal was on the air.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16066714/IMG_7587.TRIM.MOV

BC_Scan

It looks like you got it, that is the same display as on my radio in Canada, what I have noticed about DMR is that even though you hear as signal, it may simply be data (no voice) so put that freq into a one channel DMR system assign a seperate quick key and put that into ID search only scan that system for activity, when there is voice it should show the TG, on an aside not do you have DSD in use ? I use it side by side to compare results.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Looks and sounds like the rest channel for a CAP+ system. This is a data transmission. You will not hear audio when the scanner is receiving and decoding the data.

Hoggorm

... on an aside not do you have DSD in use ? I use it side by side to compare results.

I'm not sure what you mean here?

Looks and sounds like the rest channel for a CAP+ system. This is a data transmission. You will not hear audio when the scanner is receiving and decoding the data.

I understand! Thank you

And would you believe it or not - after fixing my Comet antenna setup I suddenly got this on the same frequency as the other two videos:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16066714/IMG_7591.TRIM.MOV

Thank you all who have helped me get this working! It is highly appreciated!

It seems like the problem for me was a fault in the last meter of the coax from the antenna to the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.