Please Help Me With This Set-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
Here are some pics of my setup. The chimney is 30+ high above the ground that is near. It is a strong chimney. We don't use fires but 2 or 3 times a year. What do you think I should use with my Antron99 here? Also, what is the best way to bring the Coax in?
See my photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mbrulo/Antenna

Thanks For your help,
Mike

n5ims

Use a chimney strap mount to hold a 10' pole for the antenna. Make sure that the antenna and coax is away from the chimney cap (where the smoke comes out) as far as is possible (either above or to the side).

Coax routing depends greatly on where you're scanner is (the shorter run, the better). It's easy to route through the attic bringing it in under the eves. Other options would be to run it down the chimney and through the wall near where the scanner is. Dont' forget to put in a small drip loop and seal the entry point to prevent water and insects from entering your home.

Make sure you properly ground the pole and coax!!! I can't stress this enough. Search this site and the web for good ideas on this topic. Again, make sure you properly ground the pole and coax!!! I always put a "lightning loop", a coil of several turns, between the coax ground/lightning arrestor and the entry point.

OceanaRadio

Twister_2 said:
Here are some pics of my setup. The chimney is 30+ high above the ground that is near. It is a strong chimney. We don't use fires but 2 or 3 times a year. What do you think I should use with my Antron99 here? Also, what is the best way to bring the Coax in?
See my photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mbrulo/Antenna

Thanks For your help,
Mike

Mike,

Please, do not make a second-floor entry with coax originating from a rooftop or chimney mounted antenna! The path to your radio will become just as appetizing as the long alternative to earth, and the UL-required 2000v withstand provided by your radio's transformer (or wal-wart) is easily overcome by even a near-lightning event. Thus damaging not only a connected radio, but anything else plugged into that circuit. Yes a surge-protector could save the rest of the house but it won't save the radio, and power-strip surge protectors have caught fire when presented with a massive insult. They used to catch fire almost anytime they triggered, now they are safer but not designed for the direction you would offer the insult (into the output-side of the protector).

Jack

Airdorn

n5ims said:
Make sure you properly ground the pole and coax!!! I can't stress this enough. Search this site and the web for good ideas on this topic. Again, make sure you properly ground the pole and coax!!! I always put a "lightning loop", a coil of several turns, between the coax ground/lightning arrestor and the entry point.

How do you ground the coax?

Status
Not open for further replies.