Please help. Program PRO197 with HEX and DEC codes HOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pluto459

Hello and thank you so much for taking the time to read and help me with this.
The radio is pretty easy to program once you read the easy guide.

From what I got the NAC is the same as the DEC and HEx code??

I was given the DEC # 17008 and HEX # 427

Is this the digital = of just saying like 460.175?

I was not told the type of system. It is a small police force in Bellaire, Texas inside Houston. Would I use the P25 or is it possible could be the MOT800/900?

Very confusing and since they arent using the system for a few weeks cant try and wait to hear.

So, do I need to convert the hex and/or dec codes to use?
OR do I just enter those in the radio? and did I read that they are the same thing and only need to use one?

Really do appreciate all the help.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Welcome to the RadioReference forums! Your post makes it sound like you already have the link to the Easier to Read manual, but here it is again for what it's worth (links are in blue):
Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

Basically, you need to start rethinking radio communications a little bit as you are now talking about public safety radio communications. NAC is not the same as DEC or HEX, DEC and HEX refer to something completely different known as a Trunked Radio System (here is a direct link to DickH's very basic and easy to understand explanation). A trunked system is basically a repeater that has a group of frequencies that many radios can share because average radio transmissions are short and don't need to occupy a specific frequencies for a long period of time. The Easier to Read manual also makes an attempt to explain this.

Additional excellent explanation can also be found here, provided by UPMan who represents Uniden. It will actually cover a majority of what I'm about to tell you, with some exception to details on how you can do it on a Pro-197.

Basically DEC/HEX refers to a virtual channel that exists only in programming, and these are known as talkgroups. There's no actual frequency that is associated with the specific talkgroup, the frequencies are assigned by a computer controller the second a button is pressed on the radio to talk. NAC a different concept entirely in which an analog frequency has digital (P25) voice operations. We'll save the DEC value for later in the post, you can essentially ignore the HEX values.

To aid in finding out what system you need to program, you need to first go check the database (which sounds like you already have). You can see that under Bellaire, you can see a system called Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN). If you look at the details staying that it is a Motorola Type II SmartZone system. If you take a quick peek at the sites around your area, you'll see that they are all in 800 MHz, that would mean that you would need to program a MOT 800/900 system. To do this, you need to create a new TSYS and TGRP. If you read through the manual, it will walk you through programming the system. For a very basic programming, you should find the closest site to where you are monitoring from and program, at the very least, the red (c) channel into the TSYS as well as a Tag: for the system (TxWARN would probably be sufficient). You will then save this and go back to TGRP where you take the DEC value from earlier and plug it in for ID: as well as a Tag: for this as well. You should then pick a scanlist and save it. Your scanner should then be able to take what you have programmed and look for the virtual channel.

Sorry if it's a little much to take in, scanning in the modern age is definitely not getting any simpler. I hope this helps you and feel free to reply if I have confused you in some way.

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Someone in the Texas forum may be able to help you. :wink:

n9zas

pluto459

I didnt know there was a texas forum, ill check it out.

Some people have been using this radio to monitor Tx DPS for a while, but now with the digital switch need all new radios.

I checked the DB and that was showing the old system unless I am reading it wrong. Seems I needed to click that link on the page to see that the new codes where there all along. The police dept just alerted us to the new codes a few days ago. I had checked the DB page weeks ago, but never clicked the TXWarn link.
The 460.175 is going offline which caused me to buy the PRO 197 instead of using the 400mhz radios I already own. Since RR didnt have the new digital info I guess the current RR info was for the old system.

I was waiting to create a program list for Houston and do all the radios at once, but Houston hasnt released the codes and supposedly is way behind and wont go digital for months.

Once you get over the fact that there is so many buttons, these radios are pretty easy once you figure it all out. I am used to just using the freq that this is all new.

Currently have 7 radios in my truck now and nice to have to replace them all lol I have each part of Houston on its own radio so no real scanning lol. Just listen to them all at once and hope they all dont talk at the same time.

Thanks so much for your detailed explanation.

pluto459

tried to Pm you spitfire, but wont let me to tell you thanks again.
I need to do 20 of these, do you think worth it to buy the cable and set it up using the software on here?

RonnieUSA

tried to Pm you spitfire, but wont let me to tell you thanks again.
I need to do 20 of these, do you think worth it to buy the cable and set it up using the software on here?

Yes, it would be, because it's much easier.
Also You might want to become a Premium Subscriber, and then you could download the info to your radio.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/subscription/

Last edited:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
You might want to join the HoustonScan Yahoo group also, lots of good info there.

pluto459

Thanks again to everyone who read and replied.

This is a one time programming. These are going in a wrecker. I listen to 6-8 radios at the same time 4-10 hours a day.

pluto459

Bought the cable and the software makes it more confusing.

WHy is entering a simple HEX code so difficult. I tried to pull the trunking info from RR but all i can find is the old freq info that is not being used anymore. I went back to Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Motorola Trunking System, Metro Houston area, Texas - Scanner Frequencies and see that i guess I need to look in that group. Open the software and now the demo account login info is gone.

If anyone has a free minute to help me I would really appreciate it.

THANKS

pluto459

HOW to program the DEC on PRO-197

Thanks for reading and I really do appreciate you taking your time reading this post.

I am going nuts trying to figure this out and after a few hours of frustration I give up. I went and bought he cable and tried to get it created that way, but now the software wont let me search for the city code.

I need to program it for DEC 17008 HEX 427

I created a new TGRP , what do you put for FREQ when all I have is a HEX or DEC #?

Do I leave it blank and then go on to creating a TSYS and enter it here?

Amazing how something that should be easy is so overcomplicated.

Read every link and the easy program guide but NONE say when or where or how to use DEC or HEX

To Create a new Conventional object press PGM then F1 (NEW) then F2 (CONV).
A new conventional object is created in the Default Scan List and you are taken to the CONV Channel Menu.
See the CONV Channel Menu to edit the conventional channel.

To Create a new Trunked System object press PGM then F1 (NEW) then F1 (TGRP).
You are now in the Talkgroup Menu.
A new Group 'Wildcard' ID is created in the Default Scan List that will receive all (not private) talkgroups.
Press until TSYS: is selected.
Press or to select NEW then press SEL/ENT.
You are now in the Trunked System Menu.
See the Trunked System Menu options.

AC2OY

Pluto can't you just acess the radio reference database here and see what frequencies you need to slap in? If your programming a talk group or a trunked system if you put the control channels in I think the scanner will do the rest!! If you get the system right you should be able to figure it out.

pluto459

When you buy the cable you get 2 free lookups.
I was given the DEC and HEX by the police and in fact they are even listed here so not sure what you mean I cant get.

I just need to know how to enter the DEC or HEX codes since no manual I can find tell me how to do that.

Just puzzled there is no directions for a complete programing other then the bits to a Talkgroup and even reading the TTYS there is no place to enter.

If i so didnt need this for work I would have returned all this to the store.

AC2OY

Sorry let me try to clarify myself! If you know the agency you want...police,fire,ect....can't you just go to the database here and get all the frequencies and put them in or the control channels labeled in either blue or red for trunked systems. I looked up DEC and HEX on wiki here and I assume its codes for Motorola or decimal labeled talk groups if I interpreted it correctly. Let me look in the easier to read manual for our scanners!!!

pluto459

yes have arc500
when you buy cable you get free trial and 2 RR lookups

All I need is my radio to look like this

Using the software online, there is STILL no box to enter a DEC or HEX code. Only a freq pulldown and when i enter 17008 it converts it to 1300.00000
After uploading the program it reads ID 0
WHere can i enter 17008???

Last edited:

pluto459

and yet still no answer lol

This one diverged to a definition of what they are and not the simple steps to creating the steps to enter a dec or hex code

I need my radio to read like this.

Last edited:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
and yet still no answer lol

This one diverged to a definition of what they are and not the simple steps to creating the steps to enter a dec or hex code

I need my radio to read like this.

Since you appear to have a working radio to copy from, why not read it and dump that into yours?

Or am I missing something?

pluto459

that is worst case since the radio is not mine, located in another truck and worse if I wiped it by accident or something would be bad.

I want to learn how to do this so I can write it up so NO ONE EVER has to be as frustrated as I am right now.

This should be a very simple srt8 forward thing and its not. No one can tell me at what step you enter the DEC or HEX #'s no matter how many times I ask.

I am clicking on all boxs on the software trying to find where and dont see that option.

Mine looks like this now

Status
Not open for further replies.