Please Read !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lugoffman

i got a phone call today and i was talking to my cousin who works for r&r electronics his job is building software and programing the 911 centers towers radio comunications and i was asking him about my scanner and he told me soon all scanners will be worthless cause the homeland security is requiring all to go digital and ther going to do this very soon so my question is will they make a scanner that is digital were we can pick up stuff or will there be no more scanning cause i just got into this hobby and i like it and i dont want to be in a hobby that i am going to loose

mancow

Database Admin
No offense but your Cousin doesn't know what he's talking about. Homeland security may be able to influence Federal agencies but there is nothing in place that causes them to dictate such things to the States and locals.

Also... "digital" (P-25) is scannable unless it's encrypted so.........

lugoffman

mancow said:
No offense but your Cousin doesn't know what he's talking about. Homeland security may be able to influence Federal agencies but there is nothing in place that causes them to dictate such things to the States and locals.

Also... "digital" (P-25) is scannable unless it's encrypted so.........
well i havent talked to him in years and yesterday i did and he told me that. Hes the type that thanks hes a know it all but i dont know hes been that way all his life lol i was just wondering about all of this after he told me that thats why i want some feed back you didnt offend me though lol !!!

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> Also... "digital" (P-25) is scannable unless it's encrypted so.........

Phase 1 is monitorable, but there currently are no scanners capable of monitoring P25 phase 2 modulation - essentially a TDMA format.

A couple of public safety agencies are licensed for operation in this mode, but I have not seen any reports of P25 phase 2 systems or equipment in use.

Keep in mind, Lugoffman, that there have been - and always will be - limits on what a hobbyist can monitor.

It wasn't many years ago (the early 90s) that hobbyists were crying the blues because there wasn't a scanner that could track communications on a trunked radio system.

How many listeners have lamented when encryption was implemented by their local agencies, or when an agency went to Open Sky or EDACS Multi-Net ?

The hobby will always be atleast a step behind the latest equipment being touted by Motorola and the other vendors. You simply have to believe that, for every new technology, there's atleast one hobbyist willing to put the time and energy into conquering or compromising that technology.

lugoffman

jeffmulter said:
>> Also... "digital" (P-25) is scannable unless it's encrypted so.........

Phase 1 is monitorable, but there currently are no scanners capable of monitoring P25 phase 2 modulation - essentially a TDMA format.

A couple of public safety agencies are licensed for operation in this mode, but I have not seen any reports of P25 phase 2 systems or equipment in use.

Keep in mind, Lugoffman, that there have been - and always will be - limits on what a hobbyist can monitor.

It wasn't many years ago (the early 90s) that hobbyists were crying the blues because there wasn't a scanner that could track communications on a trunked radio system.

How many listeners have lamented when encryption was implemented by their local agencies, or when an agency went to Open Sky or EDACS Multi-Net ?

The hobby will always be atleast a step behind the latest equipment being touted by Motorola and the other vendors. You simply have to believe that, for every new technology, there's atleast one hobbyist willing to put the time and energy into conquering or compromising that technology.
yea thats what i like to hear i do hope how soon it will be that some one does conquer it

Status
Not open for further replies.