PMARS still used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Did anyone hear 866.3625 (or the 39.62 translator) during the hurricane or the earthquake? I didn't hear a peep, and wondered if it should be dropped from the db...best regards...Mike

leonzo

Premium Subscriber
I did not hear it during those two events however, it is still used, and it is tested twice every 24 hours Remember it is used mainly between law enforcement agencies to communicate comm center to comm center. There may not have been a need for the comm centers to talk duirng those two events. It should not be removed rom the database!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Very good - wonder why it didn't get used? You would think that both events were high-impact enough to at least use it to make sure interop (boy there's a dirty word) would at least be possible, particularly with the massive power outages during the hurricane.

When precisely are the tests conducted? That's good info for the wiki....best regards..Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Nope, and 39.62 isn't a SP allocation anymore, AFAIK - in fact it was being used as a low band translator, presumably to reach the areas where 866 mhz wouldn't reach. This does go back awhile, so it's not entirely out of the question that 39.62 is gone.

Has the freq been rebanded? I still need to know when the tests are in order to find out. Should be simple enough... best regards..Mike

Samuel

As was said it is still in use and is tested regularly. Having said that you will mainly hear activity that requires multiple comm centers to communicate at the same time (ie. pursuits, beltway sniper, etc). For more routine incidents agencies tend to just use the telephone in my experience. I dont believe it has been rebanded yet but I will have to try to confirm that.

Last edited:

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
Mike I misspoke, I meant 39.620 is not used any more to repeat PMARS as I think all NCR Barracks have the 800mhz channel in the consoles. I am fairly sure this frequency has been rebanded.

Samuel

Well after not hearing anything on 866 for the last couple of days I am inclined to believe you are correct that they have rebanded pmars. I do find it interesting that none of the licenses have been modified to change the frequency. Anybody catch any traffic last night on the rebanded channel? I was working or that would have been the prime time to find out.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I've already had 39.62 dropped (thanks Nathan) from the database, but before I put in change tickets for PMARS being moved to 851.6625 (which would be it's rebanded freq), I would like to know (I bet Samuel would too) when these system tests occur, so we can listen for them. Obviously I want to only put validated info into the db (no offense Nathan - really)

Anyone? best regards..Mike

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm.......dtscho added it back today....did we confirm (or not) that 39.62Mhz is still in use?

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Left the recorder on 39.62 overnight...caught snatches of what might be station IDs for KGB744 (Reisterstown Rd. and/or State complex tower) but no other traffic.....

doctordave

I've kept 39.62 in all of my radios in Northern Balt Co for a few years and continuously hear Pikesville giving their Q30 minute station ID....but have never copied any other traffic on that frequency from up here...even during major events. I'm going to have to try one of my 800 beam antennas to see if I can pull in the 866 freq from up here....that freq is also in all of my radios, but I'm clearly just too far away to get anything on it with traditional omni-antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.