• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Police arrest man for having secret compartment in car!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcato16

Some states have laws against "smuggler's compartments".

An Illinois statute that took effect in 2000. Section 12-612 of Chapter 625 of the Illinois Vehicle Code makes it unlawful for a person to "own or operate any motor vehicle he or she knows to contain a false or secret compartment" or to "install, create, build or fabricate a false or secret compartment."

Last edited:

n5ims

One serious issue is the PD confiscates the car from folks running drugs and then sell them to the public without closing up the compartments or even notifying the buyer about them. When that new buyer gets stopped, they're treated like a drug runner since they have "hidden compartments in the car" that the new owner knows nothing about.

F

feets

more garbage from uber right wing website....
Are you claiming the story is not true?

I'm no fan of the blaze, but I don't see that the story is false in any way.

I guess maybe ya just had to say something. *shrug*

FFPM571

Are you claiming the story is not true?

I'm no fan of the blaze, but I don't see that the story is false in any way.

I guess maybe ya just had to say something. *shrug*
Well if you watch the video and read the story. The blaze leaves a lot out of the story to make you believe its some poor sap driving down the road minding his own business and the gestapo police just happened to throw the cuffs on him.

F

feets

Well if you watch the video and read the story. The blaze leaves a lot out of the story to make you believe its some poor sap driving down the road minding his own business and the gestapo police just happened to throw the cuffs on him.
Yes. They left out the picture of the man(suspicious looking fellow) and a "smell" of weed that gave them probable cause to search.

Still, the law and the arrest is for maybe having committed a crime in the past or the future. It ensures that at some point a perfectly innocent person will be arrested and convicted of a felony through no fault of their own.

Very disturbing whether the particular person in this case is somehow involved in trafficing something illegal or not. That whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing is a joke when simply having a hidey hole for valuables is reason enough to toss you in jail under a premise you may have illegal intent. The law itself is an assumption of guilt for an unknown or future crime. Very disturbing indeed.

Last edited:

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

Don't some vehicles come from the factory with an underseat compartment? Would that violate some state law, like Illinois' above, against hidden compartments?

Dude111

feets said:
Yes. Now it is illegal to have the means to commit a crime. Everyone will soon be arrested for having an a-hole to hide stuff in.
Indeed!!

Darth_vader

"Don't some vehicles come from the factory with an underseat compartment? Would that violate some state law, like Illinois' above, against hidden compartments?"

Or even, gosh, I don't know, a compartment for the spare tyre hidden under the floor of the trunk? There might be a lot of Illinoisian station wagon and mid-size car drivers in for a rude awakening.

"I'm sorry, sir, we'll need to confiscate this tyre as evidence. Have a nice day."

kma371

** Land of the free **

Police Find Hidden Compartment in Man’s Car, but No Drugs or Illegal Items

Nothing bad was found and they still took this action??
Didn't you read the article? It's in the 2nd paragraph why they took action

"Officers were able to make the arrest under the state’s new “hidden compartment” law, which is intended to deter criminals who modify their cars to store and transport drugs or weapons."

It's against the law, so he was arrested. Why are you so surprised at that?

Status
Not open for further replies.