Police car to car

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAR923

Hard to tell exactly since you don't mention where you are or what system you're looking at. Generally, car to car means just what it sounds like - the frequency is reserved for mobile to mobile traffic. There may or may not be a dispatcher monitoring it or even be capable of broadcasting on that frequency. Car to car frequencies are usually simplex with a limited range, which means you won't hear anything on that frequency unless one of the cars is within a mile or two of you.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Car to car there is a freq on their radios reserved for voice unit to unit like when there trying to work together to do something they will switch to that and talk around the county with dispatch or anything else
See OES have no idea, maybe something to do with dispatch or PL

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Where is this freq used at? I'll move your post there. Typically you want to give us more information when you ask in a General forum. It makes it easier for us to answer.

mjthomas59

Most of everything mentioned above is accurate. The term "car to car" is 99% of the time going to refer to officers talking on a simplex frequency or " around the repeater" as its called where i live.

As far as range, just like anything radio related, it all depends. I've called other units on a simplex frequency approximately 8 miles away before. That being said I had a 50 watt VHF car radio with a 3db gain antenna. I don't know whether it would reach out further or not, never had to try it. You have to figure though, real-world range on these bubble-pack GMRS radios is over 3 miles and thats with 5 watts and a small antenna. Take 50 watts and a high-gain antenna and the range is going to increase.

Just an FYI, the car to car channels are the ones to monitor if you want to hear more "un-professional" talk on the radio. THe car to car channels aren't usually recorded by dispatch and more often than not aren't monitored by them either. There is always some good listening to catch on these frequencies, but you do have to be within "reasonable" range of them.

Portable14

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Funny things heard on car-car.

Car-car is great, I hear some funny things on it, Especially on digital trunked 800MHz sysyems when they think no one can hear them (Or just don't care). One of the most common funny things I've heard on that is them placing coffee/food orders and such.

Just an F.Y.I-If you're monitoring a trunked system that has private call, It would be a good idea to monitor it as that is one of the channels you will hear the funniest **** over.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
ohh god, those car to car are so unmonitored its funny, they usually have about the same coverage around the county on car to car. i hear them looking for other units and asking where they are to pick them up something at mcdonalds.

bitdman

Thanks for all the great input. The system is conventional. It's the police car to car frequency in Hemet California. I still doen't know what "see OES" means but you guys have given me some good info. Thanks again

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
I have the local PD and the surrounding towns C2C programmed in my scanner, but never hear anything. I knew what it was for, but it seems that our locals probably just text msg each-other on cell phones like a bunch of teenagers lol. I did use to think that it was just too low power that I couldnt hear it unless they were right under me back when I only had my Uniden, but I know that my GRE would pick it up.

actualluy, they probably use their terminals to msg each other for that stuff.

scottaponte

Where I am in Humboldt County, Calif. "OES" is the Office of Emergency Services. So perhaps the frequency in question is normally the tactical "car-to-car" channel, but is reserved for the OES when needed (large emergency situations).

Status
Not open for further replies.