Police chief gives towing company encrypted radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
In smaller (and poorer) towns and counties in the South, the "Good Ole Boy" concept is rampant. I think it's slowly going away but I won't see it in my lifetime (not that that's very long anymore). It's a slow process. I spent 30+ years in law enforcement in Georgia. The state has 159 counties (yes, really) and I've had to visit a lot of them. A surprising number still have Buford T. Justice wannabees.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
So, if the allegation is true, a public employee gave away government property without authorization. Doesn't matter to me if this was a radio, a vehicle, or a computer, any tangible property issued or in the control of a public employee belongs to the agency, and cannot be transferred, sold or traded without proper documentation.

The charges can range to theft by conversion (felony, due to the value), interference with governmental administration (felony), and violation of oath of office (another felony). But of course, this all depends on how the DA/ADA wants to prosecute. Hopefully the GBI will do the right thing and see this through the system by the book.

If true, than this chief should be "demoted to inmate" following all due process of law.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
"Gave away" or "Loaned out"? Can anyone prove it was "sold" or otherwise transferred ownership? Maybe the chief isn't in the wrong. Hell, if anything, have the towing company guy pay for his own radio, or better yet, have him buy a G4 and authorize the radio shop to program the dispatch freqs in it.

Seems the Chief of Police should have some leeway as to what he does with stuff in the office he is in charge of.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Especially in Troup County where you come on vacation. . . . . . . . leave on probation.

What does Troup county have to do with it?

And, as us over 40 say "Leave on vacation, bring your medication"

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I wonder why he would go to all that trouble to be in all that trouble for improper handling of county property when an exclusive verbal deal and his cell on speed dial would produce better results with zero risk? Doesn't make sense. I feel there may be more to the big picture than the black and white one we see. You don't risk your job handing out encrypted radios for a towing service arrangement that can be more efficiently handled via regular cell phone service. Something's rotten in Denmark.

JD
kf4anc

JohnnyGent

Banned
Banned

JohnnyGent

Banned
Banned
There is a department store here, that has the a local PD radio and transmits just fine....NOT ENC. Saves times, and actually helps LEO with faster and better info. Don't see the problem.
Scan On.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
There is a department store here, that has the a local PD radio and transmits just fine....NOT ENC. Saves times, and actually helps LEO with faster and better info. Don't see the problem.
Scan On.

The OP talks of a towing company being involved. It's very common for cities/PD's to favor a particular towing company to get kickbacks for giving them exclusive or preferential treatment, or at least more than their share of the business, eliminating the competition. To make matters worse they haul a disabled or illegally parked vehicle to their impound. Again, eliminating or reducing the completion in exchange for kickbacks.

Added to that giving out a radio like that is risking because they could direct or redirect PD/FD responder or interfear radio traffic them all together.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
It has been done before towns that go dark will even give news media a radio for receive only. What I do not know was the Towing Company the only people to receive a radio and what connection does the towing company have with the PD or City.

JohnnyGent

Banned
Banned
The OP talks of a towing company being involved. It's very common for cities/PD's to favor a particular towing company to get kickbacks for giving them exclusive or preferential treatment, or at least more than their share of the business, eliminating the competition. To make matters worse they haul a disabled or illegally parked vehicle to their impound. Again, eliminating or reducing the completion in exchange for kickbacks.

Added to that giving out a radio like that is risking because they could direct or redirect PD/FD responder or interfear radio traffic them all together.
If you read the "story" the OP quoted it stated an UN encrypted radio, and if you have scanned for 30 years as I have, cab companies did the same thing, as towing companies still do it today, where is the news. First come gets the job. I can listen to ANYTHING NOT encrypted including towing & cab companies..............C'mon.....................
Scan On.

JohnnyGent

Banned
Banned
It has been done before towns that go dark will even give news media a radio for receive only. What I do not know was the Towing Company the only people to receive a radio and what connection does the towing company have with the PD or City.
Well here in my Village, they have a list list maybe 4 towing companies, #1 incident that needs tows gets it, next call #2 gets it, the whole single call, not per vehicle, but I also know towns/villages/ whatever that use only 1. but if somebody...not a stranger, a reputable tow shows up, and municipality needs an intersection cleared, first on scene gets a purchase order (PO). My personal experience, maybe one company only has 1 wrecker available at that time. But the fact lies in we all have scanners, and the report states clearly NON encrypted.
Scan On.

mule1075

Feed Provider
If you read the "story" the OP quoted it stated an UN encrypted radio, and if you have scanned for 30 years as I have, cab companies did the same thing, as towing companies still do it today, where is the news. First come gets the job. I can listen to ANYTHING NOT encrypted including towing & cab companies..............C'mon.....................
Scan On.
But the radio system is encrypted that is where the problem is. Nobody else can listen because they were not provided a radio to listen. I suggest you reread the story.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Varnell is small... Like, very small. It is highly possible the towing company is either the only one around, or has a contract with the city. Not every dept. does “rotation”

JohnnyGent

Banned
Banned
But the radio system is encrypted that is where the problem is. Nobody else can listen because they were not provided a radio to listen. I suggest you reread the story.
Varnell, Georgia, Police Chief Lyle Grant is under criminal investigation for giving an unencrypted radio to the owner of a local wrecker business.
I'll read it two more times.
Scan On.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Unless there was something really nefarious with lending out the radio, and considering that the town has only 1800 residents, I would have to say perhaps he gave him the radio to keep in touch. I would imagine that the the tow guy is probably the only game in town, is on the road a lot for his business, and if they get a rap in the town, probably calling the tow guy on his phone in his unmanned office would be a waste of time. Yeah, right...cell phones: if he answers it while taking parts out of some of the junked cars he gets, which I would doubt. But hearing a police radio calling you may force you to reassign your priorities and answer it.

This encryption has brought on a lot of unintended consequences, perhaps this is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.