Police Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnyskyez

Good morning all Im new here,

I have a analog HH-Bearcat scanner so was looking to upgrade to the new digital radios. Ive narrowed it down to the Whistler TRX2 scanner. So here is my problem, I only like to listen to the police calls around my town, I dont listen to RR, weather, EMT's, Im only interested on the crime in my city. So in my search I found all these articles on Police encryption and how we wont be able to hear any police calls anymore. Its already happening around the US. The town I live in is the county seat so they already have the P25 going, I know this cause Im not hearing a whole lot on my analog scanner.

Here is my big question, why should I spend all this money on a police scanner if they are going to block us out? Even if the encryption happens later I will be stuck with a pricey paper weight.

I really would appreciate any input.

Thanks kindly, Sunny

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Welcome. There are many, many agencies that aren't encrypted and have no plans to do so. It is speculation on if your area is going to do so. It would be helpful to list where you live so that someone with local knowledge of your area could give some insight.

Mike

sunnyskyez

Thanks Mike for the reply so quickly. I live in New Castle, PA which is the county seat for Lawrence County.

Nasby

Thanks Mike for the reply so quickly. I live in New Castle, PA which is the county seat for Lawrence County.

Only Sharon PA is currently encrypted in your area.
However, at any given time the bigshots of New Castle could decide to encrypt their radio system.
At which point your scanner would be useless. You could then sell it on Ebay or Craigslist or in a yard sale.
The choice is yours. Buy a scanner and have some fun or don't buy one because of something that may or may not ever happen.
We can't hold your hand. Only you can decide.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Good morning all Im new here,

I have a analog HH-Bearcat scanner so was looking to upgrade to the new digital radios. Ive narrowed it down to the Whistler TRX2 scanner. So here is my problem, I only like to listen to the police calls around my town, I dont listen to RR, weather, EMT's, Im only interested on the crime in my city. So in my search I found all these articles on Police encryption and how we wont be able to hear any police calls anymore. Its already happening around the US. The town I live in is the county seat so they already have the P25 going, I know this cause Im not hearing a whole lot on my analog scanner.

Here is my big question, why should I spend all this money on a police scanner if they are going to block us out? Even if the encryption happens later I will be stuck with a pricey paper weight.

I really would appreciate any input.

Thanks kindly, Sunny

Hi sunny

You said that your city was 'already' P25, though the database page for your county does not reflect that.

However, looking at this post from the Pennsylvania Regional Form, it appears that there may be a new P25 system that is not yet shown in the database. For your county, I see this trunked system license: WQTS631 (LAWRENCE COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY) FCC Callsign Details

There is no corresponding system in the database as yet, but this may be what that first post linked above could be referring to. Looking at the licensed emissions codes, the system may be capable of P25 Phase II. The TRX-2 will work for a Phase II system, except for talkgroups that are encrypted. However, that system will not be in the database until someone in the area confirms it is in use, and submits that information to the database.

What you may want to do, is to have your thread moved to the Pennsylvania forum. That way, possibly someone else in your area may be able to provide more information. If you want to do that, click on the red triangle in the upper right corner of one of your current posts (it will show ;'report thread'). That will get you to a page where you can request that this be moved by a moderator. However, do not start a new thread, in the PA forum, on the same thing. That is consdered as cross-posting and is against forum policy.

SCPD

QRT
Enc

Do not move to Canada .. where soon most police will be encrypted and much already is.

Maybe after Hillary gets elected you might have to take up basket weaving,but alot of people will be moving to Canada,eh.

Its a shame,because I think a community that has no idea whats going on is a stupid community.Its not like we cant follow fire trucks around to watch the fire or the action.Certain "wackers" do this,I am not one,but I do know people do this for fun and carry a scanner,pretty soon their luggage will be lighter,I suppose.....

RayAir

Certain areas are worse than others when it comes to encryption. The cops in my area are on a closed system. FD too, but they patch dispatch over their old analog for the volunteers.

Even though the locals can't be monitored, the state boys can. Some EMS and FD can be monitored also. So can the tow truck companies.
So if state backs them (locals) up, EMS is staging, or tow drivers were called to a large crash, you can kind of cross reference things to find out what is going on.

teufler

up grading scanners is like upgrading a radar detector. Its a cat and mouse game. you will enjoy the traffic, as long as it comes though, if the fd is not closed, most accidents that the police go to, fire goes too.

sunnyskyez

Thanks Steve for all the good info. I wasnt aware of a PA forum so I will go there as well.

I read the article about the 'state of the art 911 center' when it first came out. And yeah some "big shot" will have his way, cause thats the way we roll here in NC. LOL. Sorry couldnt resist.

Again you have given me good advice. I thank you very much. Cheers.

sunnyskyez

Thanks Nasby,

You are correct at any given time someone could decide on encryption. I mean we already have the "state of the art 911 call center" LOL.

Thanks

sunnyskyez

RayAir,
I see your little photo icon is moto hh. Ive seen those for sell on Ebay and they have been reprogrammed for Phase II as well as having a decoder. Would they be better to have instead of a regular scanner?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
We in the hobby have been spending $400 to $500 on scanners for over 30 years and the police have been encrypting their radio traffic for longer than that. This is just something you will have to make up your mind on where or not you are willing to spend the money or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.