• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Police explorer tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to be interviewed by my police department to join their explorer program. What tips would people give to me for the oral board? What should I expect at the interview? Is there anyone who is a police explorer? I am just looking for suggestions from people because I really want to get into this great program. Thanks any tips and help is appreicated.
Thanks -Louie- :)

Last edited:

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
Have more lights and radios in your car than the cruisers have. Dress for success!

Tazers with 200lumen tactical flashlights on a thigh-holster show them you are prepared and loaded for bear. Having your own badge, mustache, and flattop haircut show you are ready to wear the uniform when they call on YOU.

Also watch how the most badass cops walk. This is very important! I call it the "badass cop shuffle" The shorter you are, the more badass you have to walk to show that no broken-down motorist is going to cause any public disturbances on YOUR shift! I find it is also a very comfortable stide. It increases chest-volume, resulting in maximum oxegen utilization. (bring your own Ox to show them you can maintain your badass shuffle even when there are Oxegen shorteges. Suck the gut in, and swing your shoulders forward and back when you walk. NEVER attempt this without a mustache! Basically you want to walk like Arnold in The Terminator 2.

Also, SPEAK CONFIDENTLY and use lingo. Answer "yes" questions with a snappy AFFIRMATIVE! Dont use 10-4! Thats for when you become a real cop, unless you are on the radio. If you want to use 10-4 for a "yes" answer, use one of your radios to respond to the interviewer's duty radio with him in the room. That shows super-preparedness and your ability to investigate unknown and unauthorized frequencies. Basically, talk like a mall security guard.

Portable14

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Police Explorer Advice.

I would recommend doing a little research on the police explorer program that you want to join. See if anyone's been dismissed (recently) from that program, Why, And if they got a fair shake, Because it might just be more trouble then it's worth (Depending on which PD runs it).

I think the explorer programs are a great idea, It's just that some of them will kick you out for stuff that is completely out of your control.

Be very careful as to what you say, and make sure you're aware of what others are saying about you, Because you might be busy doing your job, and someone might make a joke about you, and you might be distracted and casually agree with it, Resulting in trouble.

So the only advice that I can give you is, Be very presentable, Keep your uniform clean, and make sure you wear black shoes or boots that you can polish.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Just be yourself! I don't understand people who feel they almost have to go to acting school prior to an interview. If they don't hire you for who you are, then you won't be happy, or stay very long, so why bother?

SCPD

for any interview you will have in life, the best advice you can have is be yourself. while it sounds simple think about it and it will make sense i promise. good luck

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
Austin4Wyo said:
Hmmmm...I could be wrong, but I think Dan might be a little sarcastic in that post.

heh, yeah, sorry I couldn't resist. Dont take it personally. I have family that did well in explorers. It was a good thing for them.

non-sarcastic advice: research what they do, listen twice as much as you speak, and relate prior experiences to any questions asked.

And of course. Dress for success.:cool:

Don't let it become your life: I've seen kids involved in the program let it go to the head and think it gives them some sort of authority over their peers and adults in the real world. It's meant to teach you about police work, so always be ready to learn! Always show respect and listen your teachers and any officers you work with, and you'll excel. Good luck!

Thanks for everyones advice! They let me attend a meeting, the cadets, and the officer in charge is really laid back. The town I live in has 6,000 people so it is a department of about 12 officers. The explorers i hung out with were really cool and helpful. The program is only two years new, so they are still working out kinks and still learning everything. Thanks -Louie-

Like others said just be yourself. I was a Sacramento Police cadet and all i can say is just make sure that you talk with the other cadets to get some insite and also if the department gave you any reading materal then make sure you read it. Other than that you should do fine.

Have Give Him a Break. LOL you Did Encourage this young Man to further his Career.Be Glad he is Enthusiastic . If he decides to be a Paramedic he may save you someday ! Always speak wisdom and Truth to the newbies .And if a Cop he becomes hope he is Honest !

Interview for an Explorers program? Thats odd. I was involved in Fire, EMS and Law Enforcement posts when I was younger. All I did was show up with an interest in the field and pay my dues.

SAR923

Interview for an Explorers program? Thats odd. I was involved in Fire, EMS and Law Enforcement posts when I was younger. All I did was show up with an interest in the field and pay my dues.
Don't know where you live but it's not unusual at all. We had a search and rescue explorer post as part of our sheriff's department. They had to fill out an application and then go before an oral board made up of a deputy, the SAR team leader, and the senior Explorer. It was mostly to judge the maturity level and attitude of the applicant. They also had to pass a background check. Things have changed now.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I was involved in a Police Explorer program run by the Brazos County Sheriff's Office (Post 973). It's partially run by the Boy Scouts. I found mine pretty disappointing, though. We rarely did much police training, even though previous groups in the post had won several competitions. In fact, the only thing we seemed to do was child fingerprinting at special events (I dropped out because I got sick of them). On the up side, I was able to get to sit in for a few hours with dispatch and watch them recieve calls (it was especially interesting because a former high school classmate of mine worked there). I also got to sit in at the county jail intake booth, and watch the officers bring in the crooks (the lady there also operated the intercom that prisoners use to request stuff:"Oh, stop whining, you'll get dinner in a few minutes!!") I do remember that they brought in this really hot chick for running away...I felly sorry for her.

I am an Explorer for one of the local PD's. I can tell you straight up, dont go in thinking your super-explorer. Answer all the questions honestly. Because unlike employers, they WILL call the references, and do a background check, etc. If you get accepted, just buy the equipment required. Dont go out and buy all kinds of crap.

Dont bother the officer in charge of the explorers constantly. Numerous calls/texts annoy them and will most likely turn them from calling you for a detail, etc.

Basically, just be respectful to the officer in charge, dont go out thinking you are super-explorer, it will make them think twice about you.

All this talk about "hiring" and "interviews" is a little confusing to me. Are you sure you guys are talking about Explorers? I've never seen a "hiring" or "interview" process for them around here. Anybody who signs up is in. If they are getting all anal about membership, then that's a load of crap. Sounds like they're taking themselves way too seriously.

It really helps if you're a hott chick. The officers will definitely give you a lot more attention and opportunities that way. Right up to the point they are caught, fired, and prosecuted. Of course, males get the same opportunities with fire and EMS Explorer organisations.

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
LOL @ Dan's post... I was actually going to go the other way with it:

1. Show up all tatted down and wearing baggy pants, a wife beater t shirt, $6 sunglasses that are so dark you bump into things, and about $50 worth of fake "bling".

2. Answer every question with the word "yo" in it at least 4 times like this "Yo homes, if I was riding along wichoo yo, and choo pulled over one of my homies yo, I'd be cool with it yo." Nod the whole time too, like you're listening to a beat that only you can hear.

3. Drop a dime-bag out of your pocket and if they ask what's that just look at it and say "yo homes I never seen that before, yo." Don't forget to nod throughout.

4. When it comes time for you to ask questions of them, ask them when you'll get to carry a gun, how fast can a cop car can go, and "yo, that chick on the police radios yo... is she as hot as she sounds, yo? I'd like to hook up with her someday, yo." Nod the whole time. That's very important.

:lol:
-AZ

SAR923

All this talk about "hiring" and "interviews" is a little confusing to me. Are you sure you guys are talking about Explorers? I've never seen a "hiring" or "interview" process for them around here. Anybody who signs up is in. If they are getting all anal about membership, then that's a load of crap. Sounds like they're taking themselves way too seriously.
This was a search and rescue Explorer post that was part of our sheriff's department. They performed SAR assignments just like adults and wore the same uniforms with an "Explorer" rocker above the patch. There's a certain amount of maturity required to learn, follow directions correctly (since someone's life may depend on it), and being able to deal with finding the dead body of a small child. Our sheriff was very clear that Explorers needed to meet the same requirments that applied to adult members and I agree. Maybe it's different with Police Explorers if they spend most of their time doing kid fingerprints but our Explorers were doing real-time SAR tasks, including some that were pretty technical and risky. I think you'll agree that having any 16 year old sign up and they're in isn't a very good idea in our case.

Status
Not open for further replies.