• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Police explorer tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought the purpose of Exploring was to build character, not to screen for it.

Again, sounds like they're taking themselves too seriously. Let them in and give them a reason to build character and maturity. Then let them into the secret squirrel activities once they pass certain criteria. But excluding people based upon random subjective criteria, drawn up by people who probably don't know WTF they are doing doesn't sound like a great idea to me. In fact, it sounds contrary to the mission of Exploring. This from a man who both was a Law Enforcement Explorer himself, as well as an Exploring and Scouting advisor.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
They are not babysitters either. You need to be ready for to accept character-building activities and discipline. Obviously, this is not the millitary, and they do not have boot-camp to "break-down and build back up" a person. So they need young citizens already showing exemplary maturity and character to represent the program. These are the attributes that PDs later are looking for in their rookie officer assignments. They are not looking for someone that can quote laws governing vehicular lighting laws or handcuff collectors.

Many people who are not ready to accept the character-building and self-discipline building activities are the ones who call the program "boring" or "waste of time"

If they are doing a ton of traffic duty, then it is character-building. Do you think real LEOs just run around in police chases and go on SWAT raids all the time? No, most of the time is paperwork, court crap, and getting to see the worst side of your community. (domestic issues, custody issues, kids involved, traffic duty, pulling over arsehole lawyers and clucking soccor moms for speeding, grisly traffic cleanup, finding old grandmothers dead because their kids 5 states away had not heard from her in 2 weeks, etc)

the job sucks most of the time man. For most LEO, they find that the occasional and rare crime solve, prevented, or life saved is the rewarding factor, but the BS paperwork and crap-duty is nearly overwhealming.

If you are too much of a spaz at 15-16 years old to handle parking lot duty during the county fair, then you have some growing up left to do and you will likely slow down the path of the people that can in fact, handle the duty.

I would agree with you that any exclusionary activities would be appropriate if they are not ready they could participate in something similar, but not explorers. Perhaps the regular scouting program? Regular scouting is the funnel into the Explorer/Venture/Varsity programs anyways. If the kids can run with scouting successfully, then they can probably run with Explorers successfully. If you cant handle scouting's basics(law, oath, spirit) you would pobably would not handle exploring. For example, if your the scout in the troop that always has his shirt half untucked into sweatpants and your troop numbers stapled or pinned-on, then what makes me think that you are going to be able to keep your uniform neet and pressed in exploring? It may fly in the troop, but not in the post.

Personally, I am more in favor of scouting dumping the crap they picked up in the late 1970s to adopt a more "modern" and IMO Politically Correct stand. I wish they could go back to their more soft-paramillitary roots. One of my favorite books is still the 1950s boy scout handbook. The one with the Norman Rockewell cover. I read that page for page, over and over again, until I could join scouting. let me tell you, I was one pissed-off 11 year old when I had to sit around and take redundant drug-education classes and sensitivity training meetings. Damnit, I wanted to go train how to use a compass, how to mark a trail if you are lost, and start fires without matches, stalk animals, first-aid, and other general bushcraft. And If I did something wrong, I wanted some impeccibly-uniformed scoutmaster to cut me down and bite my head off, not a damn counciling session that just left me confused if I had done anything wrong at all.

I always thought the purpose of Exploring was to build character, not to screen for it.

Last edited:
Because all they do is traffic duty, There is much more to law enforcement than that, and they don't teach ANY discipline. Especially post 028.
Sounds like a bring down at the local level, not the Exploring program as a whole. Dan is right about Exploring being a extension of Scouting (supposed to, anyways). I learned my discipline and moral code long before I was learning about pumping fire trucks and donning PPE in a local Fire Explorer Post. Exploring along with other thing helped me on my way to a career in the Emergency Services.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.