Police Jargon

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7CAS

When a police dispatcher indicates that a reporting party is — or is not — "willing to sign," to what is either referring?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I'm going to guess it's they are willing to sign a complaint otherwise the cops really don't pay too much attention to a complaint. As far as signing a ticket admitting guilt they're going to get the ticket anyway whether they're willing to admit guilt or not.

When Mr. Anonymous calls with the complaint and is not willing to come forward and make a formal written complaint, the police in my area always respond with make it a patrol check which means that they ignore the call and go about their business with the call being closed out. They are way too busy to handle reckless drivers who are Miles Away by the time they get the call, the smell of pot coming from some kids, parking complaints, barking dogs unless somebody is willing to go on record and sign a complaint and even then they usually do it over the phone.

Needless to say the cops in my area do a lot of... Patrol checks.

dallenapd

In Texas it refers to a person not "willing to sign" a complaint or otherwise pursue charges against another person(s). Also here in cases of domestic abuse (covers most any relationship) the person (or victim) does not have a choice and statute mandates that the State (officer) WILL file appropriate charges against one or both parties involved. It also would not be for signing a citation because failure to so results in immediate arrest.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Sign a complaint over the phone?
I know it sounds crazy but many reports are taken over the phone, the cop calls from his cell phone that has no return number and takes the complaint on the phone. Then they tell the complaint they have to come to headquarters during the week during the day and sign the complaint.

The cops are way too busy and way understaffed. Quality of life calls don't get much attention. It's more of shots fired, violent domestic disputes, assault in progress, robberies and burglaries in progress, hostage situations, violent mental subjects, car wrecks... Around here just about every car stop involves a 10 - 99 subject which is an outstanding warrant.

I will say it does make for very good police monitoring haha.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I'll make a guess it means "Willing to sign (the ticket) - admitting to the charges."

Or willing to sign the complaint or "press charges".

I believe you will find that at the bottom of the “Ticket” you get from Law Enforcement it should have a statement that your signature is an acknowledgment of receipt of the ticket and not an admission of guilt.

oracavon

At the agencies I worked for in the past, it indicates whether the person calling in is willing to sign a complaint to press charges. This determines how much enforcement authority the police will legally have when handling the call. For example, they can't arrest a person for disturbing the peace if no person is willing to state in writing that their peace was disturbed and testify in court if necessary. Without an identified victim willing to testify, the district attorney couldn't file charges or pursue the case because the police can't document that there really was a victim or a crime. In such cases, all the police can do is check the area of the complaint to see if they can actually witness a violation of law that they can then enforce on their own.

oracavon

I believe you will find that at the bottom of the “Ticket” you get from Law Enforcement it should have a statement that your signature is an acknowledgment of receipt of the ticket and not an admission of guilt.

That isn't what the OP was referring to, but just to clarify - in California, for example, officers have the authority take a person before a magistrate for any witnessed violation. This is usually handled by booking the person into jail until the court is ready to see them. However, they can release that person with a citation (ticket) instead if that person promises to appear in court at a later date to answer the charges. In fact, the citations clearly state that signing them is not an admission of guilt, but rather a promise to appear in court (not an acknowlegement of receipt, but a legally binding promise to appear). If you violate that written promise and don't show up in court (or otherwise resolve the case with the court, such as paying a fine), a judge can then issue a warrant for your arrest to force you into court to answer the charges. In addition, you can also be charged with the additional crime of violating your written promise, on top of the original violation.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
That isn't what the OP was referring to, but just to clarify - in California, for example, officers have the authority take a person before a magistrate for any witnessed violation. This is usually handled by booking the person into jail until the court is ready to see them. However, they can release that person with a citation (ticket) instead if that person promises to appear in court at a later date to answer the charges. In fact, the citations clearly state that signing them is not an admission of guilt, but rather a promise to appear in court (not an acknowlegement of receipt, but a legally binding promise to appear). If you violate that written promise and don't show up in court (or otherwise resolve the case with the court, such as paying a fine), a judge can then issue a warrant for your arrest to force you into court to answer the charges. In addition, you can also be charged with the additional crime of violating your written promise, on top of the original violation.

My reply was to the person that I quoted and not the OP, so you are correct.

Thank you for what appears to be knowledgeable replies my info on tickets only comes from general knowledge from other people.

oracavon

Just as an FYI. As we tell a driver when we issue a ticket "Your signature is not an admission of guilt, but only your promise to appear in court on the date shown".

We always told them "on or before the date indicated", since the date shown was "not later than" date rather than a specific appointment date. They were always free to appear earlier if they wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.