• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Police scanners should be ILLEGAL PERIOD

Not to offend anyone, but I now think scanning is complete nonsense! Look at countries like Germany - they don't allow people to listen to emergency services on a scanner going as far as to build an encrypted network to make sure NO ONE can listen.

Why can't the US and Canada do the same? Build P-25 networks that are fully encrypted and make it a FEDERAL crime to listen in to emergency services like countries like the UK and aforementioned Germany.

NOT GETTING ANYONE IN TROUBLE. Just saying my $0.02 for the day.

Yes you have a right to say that.
But if you come on here of all places, expect much push back.
If you think that scanning is nonsense, then feel free not to engage in it.
Or perhaps you posted this to provoke reactions just to see how people feel.

I feel it violates everybody's privacy. Who cares about other people's license plates, etc. for real though. I think scanning should be illegal in North America as it is on the other side of the pond.

Troll

If you feel this way, then why are you yourself, a scanner hobbyist? Why do YOU own a scanner? Why do you ask questions about what to listen to?

Simple,

Because he is a TROLL.

Otherwise. why would he still be posting here?

To get attention. On a SCANNER site!

Get lost!

If you feel this way, then why are you yourself, a scanner hobbyist? Why do YOU own a scanner? Why do you ask questions about what to listen to?
Well the night before I started this thread, I was thinking things over and decided that scanners are plain nonsense (IMHO). If they can build encrypted TETRA networks in Europe, they can do the same here in the states. Fully encrypted is the best way to go and unauthorized listening to police and fire calls should be punishable by law. Only the media should be allowed because they're a right-to-know agency who communicates the news to the public (albeit sometimes incorrectly).

W9BU

Lead Wiki Manager
Super Moderator
Folks, relax. The OP hasn't violated any forum rules, so he is free to post his opinion here on the Rants board of the Tavern section.

Hmmmmm .......

Then why are you STILL HERE?

Why do you continue to post?

You have NOTHING to contribute!

GET LOST!
Am I right to believe that what you have said above means the OP is NOT entitled to express his opinion or to try to convince others of his position?

Does one have to agree with the majority opinion to be allowed to post?

Not to offend anyone, but I think you are wrong.

T!
Who cares if you "offend" someone. You're entitled to your opinion just like the OP did. That's part of what's wrong with today's society.. we are all worried if our opinions will offend others. They'll get over it, if not then that's their problem, not yours.

manlius

Premium Subscriber
Back in pre-WWII Germany Hitler took control of the media, also done in communist and dictatorial countries today. Here in the US most people feel that the media already tries to control the narrative and lean in particular ways. Once you put a “control valve or filter” on information of any kind, whether that control be governmental or a private entity with an agenda, you put the citizenry in a very vulnerable situation. I don’t know about you, but that’s not the America I want! Apparently, you have unquestioned trust in the media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: