Police shooter on the loose

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredva

Feed Provider
I didn't see this posted here yet: A Virginia state trooper based in Giles County was shot yesterday along the VA-WV border. The trooper was hit in the neck, but is expected to be OK. After a pursuit, the suspect jumped out of his car and then shot at the trooper. He was on foot, but this afternoon (Saturday), I heard dispatchers put out a BOLO for a 1988 blue Ford truck with WV license plates, that the shooter is believed to have stolen.

Here's a media report on the shooting:
http://www.wsls.com/sls/news/local/...ate_police_trooper_shot_in_giles_county/7919/

svfire1

A BOLO just when out about 830 tonight to all area PD in and around Rockbridge Co for that Subject, Saying "He would not go back to Jail without a fight". Supposed to have numberous weapons on him.

He's prob somewhere deep in the wood of West Virginia, but anyways, that beat up truck souldnt be hard to miss.

Stay Safe All.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
ShenValleyFire13 said:
A BOLO just when out about 830 tonight to all area PD in and around Rockbridge Co for that Subject, Saying "He would not go back to Jail without a fight". Supposed to have numberous weapons on him.

He's prob somewhere deep in the wood of West Virginia, but anyways, that beat up truck souldnt be hard to miss.

Stay Safe All.

Just heard the same thing in Berkeley Co, WV.

tuttleje

They have given the same broadcast to the VSP Units in the Hampton Roads area as well as all the local police departments (James City County/Williamsburg/York County).

Years ago, before CNN and video cameras, there use to be an unwritten rule about how to handle the arrest of someone that shot a police officer.

I hope they "get" this guy......soon.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Was anyone monitoring traffic in Floyd County today? I was in the Roanoke area and heard mega search traffic on VSP Ch 11, but did not have any Floyd frequencies in. There were tac teams, K-9's, search teams, at least 1 vsp helo and many supervision personnel involved. I didn't know anything about the trooper shot at the time, but I thought it sounded like that may have been the case.

They were clearing a red barn, looking for a red pick up and also searching the woodland area. I also heard Conservation Officers on 159.435 involved as well.

Hope they got this guy and the trooper is o.k.

fredva

Feed Provider
tglendye - I saw a media report today that said the truck the shooter may be driving was spotted in Floyd County. That's probably the reason for the activity you were hearing.

SonicN - BOLO is Be On the LookOut.

fredva

Feed Provider
The link I put at the beginning of the thread is being updated as news comes in. I just checked it again. Apparently the shooter was spotted driving the stolen truck by an officer who followed him. The shooter turned down a dirt road, jumped out of the truck and ran into the woods. There has been a massive manhunt in the Indian Valley area of Floyd County since then.

tuttleje

Here's what you heard:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/vaapwire.apx.-content-articles-AP-2008-03-30-0058.html

Floyd, VA - A Wythe County man sought in the shooting of a Virginia state trooper was spotted in Floyd County, according to state police.

The search for Steven Dale Branscome focused in the rural Indian Valley community after an investigator with the Floyd County Sheriff's Office spotted a pickup truck Sunday morning that matched the description of the one stolen in West Virginia after the trooper was shot Friday, according to Sergeant Bob Carpentieri.

**** more info in the link ****

According to the Roanoke Times ( http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/156470 )
"Branscome was last seen wearing jeans, a short-sleeved black T-shirt and a knit cap or baseball cap"

It's going to be a cold wet night in Floyd County: 29 degrees and showers

Last edited:

fredva

Feed Provider
A truck was stolen in the area where the shooter was last seen, in Floyd County. The police can't say for sure that the guy they are looking for is the one who stole it. However, the shooter has a repeated pattern of stealing a vehicle, being spotted and chased by the police, jumping out and running into the woods, and then stealing another vehicle later. The truck is a yellow Ford flatbed with the name "Phillips and Truman Tree Farm" on it.

http://www.wsls.com/sls/news/local/new_river_valley/article/floyd_missing_truck/8179/

Status
Not open for further replies.