Police traffic stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonJuanIII

Premium Subscriber
Years ago there was a lot of officers (and others) abusing the LEIN system. Looking up plates and related info to find out where an a-hole lived, or a cute girl, a neighborhood nusance or road-rager that the locals wanted to deal with rather than have the police handle it. This was especially true with the Detroit, Michigan police department. I think going through dispatch gives them a better filter and accountability of those using LEIN and the reasons why.

Yep - when I was a dispatcher in Missouri - I was told officers had to have a "valid" reason to check plates, etc.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Check out with dispatch who they are with, then dispatch can send to their cad the data saving officer time to type it in himself.

NParkNJ

On the Road
In NJ, at least up by me, they’ll do it to verify if what they are seeing is correct.

Probably also, if they do call it in, its also just before they call a traffic stop. To get the attention of other officers.

I’ve also seen it done for what they call a driver showing “340” which is code for suspension. They can’t always see the reason/s why.

Also...if there are local jurisdictions in other states that the driver may be offending.

NJ has ATS/ACS. I’m fairly certain thats NJ only.

NCIC is national.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Is it possible that they don't have the MDTs interfaced with the mainframe that will provide tag and/or other information?

Hit_Factor

What's a "Mainframe"? [emoji23]
I thought the same thing.

BTW, another retired cop agrees with the one still on the job, who agrees with the retired LEO.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300, IC-PW1, ID-5100A, ID-51A Plus 2, IC-R30, Hytera PD782G, Kenwood TH-D74, Uniden SDS100, DVMega, SDRplay RSPduo

Hit_Factor

Years ago there was a lot of officers (and others) abusing the LEIN system. Looking up plates and related info to find out where an a-hole lived, or a cute girl, a neighborhood nusance or road-rager that the locals wanted to deal with rather than have the police handle it. This was especially true with the Detroit, Michigan police department. I think going through dispatch gives them a better filter and accountability of those using LEIN and the reasons why.
I don't see a problem here. ;)

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300, IC-PW1, ID-5100A, ID-51A Plus 2, IC-R30, Hytera PD782G, Kenwood TH-D74, Uniden SDS100, DVMega, SDRplay RSPduo

Bill28227

Many departments also have the officer touch the back panel of the car. Watch it on police shows, some do, some don't. The purpose is to have solid proof that this is the car the officer stopped if something goes totally bad. Even as a volunteer who got out with empty cars we were instructed to do this. I did.
Bill

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
There are reasons the plate is called in it let's dispatch know where you are and with just In case something goes wrong.A lot of departments also time the stop to ensure officer safety you may hear a dispatcher say your in the red are you ok another thing is trying to type and watch a computer screen is not a easy ting to do at a higher speed

Where I’m from it’s called a 10-70 check. When getting out on either a call or a stop, they will usually ask for a specific time as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Many are still in use today and have not been converted to newer technologies
Okay, I'm showing my age. I remember when that's all we had. Even after the technology changed, the name stuck, at least here.

DJ11DLN

This was the reason given for it here. Several were misusing the system to find names and addresses, mainly of females they observed. Some of them got caught. I don't know if anybody lost a job over it but it made a big enough stink that they added the must-have-valid-reason rule.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Misuse of privileged information has nothing to do with the original post.

mancow

Database Admin
Calling in the plate number, vehicle description and stop location is standard operating procedure in most jurisdictions primarily for officer safety. Agencies may also require the reason for the stop, number of occupants, ethnicity and sex of the driver and type of enforcement action for record keeping and statistical information at the agency and officer level. Requesting lookup data on the license plate over the air when the cruiser is outfitted with the ability to do so is something else, and may be done by the officer for expediency purposes or to allow him or her to concentrate more on the actions of the violators.

This is the reason. You don't distract yourself with a computer prior to initial contact.

CaptDan

I will chime in here and say that in my experience it is not as much to let the dispatcher know, because a computer entry by an officer in the field will automatically change his or her status on the CAD ( computer aided dispatch ) screen that a dispatcher is always watching, it's to let all of the other units know whats going on in the district. The computer screen in a patrol car is constantly changing and an officer driving can not keep up with the changes on a busy shift.

However, all of the officers in the district can hear the radio as they drive and if they hear another unit making a traffic stop, they are aware of the stop and can ride by to make sure the officer making the stop is fine. Additionally, while many agencies have computers in most of their marked patrol vehicles, many agencies have not yet been able to equip all of their unmarked vehicles with computers, and even unmarked vehicles that have them, the operators are not assigned to patrol and therefore are not visually monitoring the dispatch status screen.

Finally, many officers assigned to work a shift together get to know each other's quirks and voices etc. Often, fellow officers can just tell by hearing another officer talk on the radio that there is just something "off" and that they should do a ride by and make sure their fellow officer if ok. Ya can't do that by reading a computer screen, only by hearing ya squad mates voice.

Back around 2000 many agencies tried what was touted as "silent dispatch" - not voice broadcasting assignments, only assigning units by computer screens in patrol vehicles only to discover all the pitfalls of that.

RBFD415

To the point of the original post I can tell you that as long time listener that the amount of PD traffic over the air has dropped dramaticly over the last 10 or more years. I have smaller departments in my area, the ones that are still in the clear, that are nearly dead over the air- sometimes for hours at a time. I chalked most of this up to MDT use.

Good discussion and a lot of valid points raised.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

phask

Premium Subscriber
To the point of the original post I can tell you that as long time listener that the amount of PD traffic over the air has dropped dramaticly over the last 10 or more years. I have smaller departments in my area, the ones that are still in the clear, that are nearly dead over the air- sometimes for hours at a time. I chalked most of this up to MDT use.

Good discussion and a lot of valid points raised.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Similar situation, much of the dispatching is via MDT.
I run a Pro96comm setup - it will display data and there is usually more data than voice. Not all is via the same system, some is via cellular data.

Status
Not open for further replies.