• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Polk County Sheriff and Fire

firemedic78

Premium Subscriber
Can anybody give me some help here, is Polk County still using the SARA radio system, raycomm system, or are they on the new ISICS System, and if so, could you direct me to the correct similcast or talk group and frequencies? I have it programmed under the current SARA system but I am not getting any traffic whatsoever. Thanks.

Chris

MidwestRadioListener

Premium Subscriber
They utilize RACOM for their radio communications. I'm not certain if they are technically hooked up to the rest of "SARA" yet but eventually they will be if they are not. If you look in the database here in RR you will find their info for Polk County along with some talkgroup IDs that have been identified. They have a simulcast in Des Moines and a couple other towers not part of the simulcast. They are not part of ISICS for day to day use.

I listen to Iowa County also apart of the SARA network.
I hear crossover TG's from Polk County from time to time so I would say they
are tied into the SARA network as the data base shows.
Which set of frequencies do you have programmed? There are 3 different sets for Polk County.
You might try a different set depending on your location.

ISW376

Premium Subscriber
I believe all of Polk county is on Sara system with the exception of the agencies using westcom.
The Sara syatem is always extemly active when I'm in Ankeny.

Last month the Ankeny EDACS site was off air I'm confident the EDACS system is no more in Polk County.

Almost all talkgroups from the EDACS syatem are the same on the Sara system in the Future the talkgroups may be reformatted.

Westcom is on ISICS and is also active but only a few agnecies utilize it.

If you live in Polk county the Polk simulcast site is the best but most scanners have a hard time.
I have a bcd436 and it is ok in some parts of Ankeny but other areas of the county it garbles or misses transmissions.

Polk City and Mitchelville broadcast most of the system talkgroups and can be easier to pick up since they are not simulcast sites but you would have to be near the sites as they don't cover the whole county like the Polk simulcast site does.

firemedic78

Premium Subscriber
I believe all of Polk county is on Sara system with the exception of the agencies using westcom.
The Sara syatem is always extemly active when I'm in Ankeny.

Last month the Ankeny EDACS site was off air I'm confident the EDACS system is no more in Polk County.

Almost all talkgroups from the EDACS syatem are the same on the Sara system in the Future the talkgroups may be reformatted.

Westcom is on ISICS and is also active but only a few agnecies utilize it.

If you live in Polk county the Polk simulcast site is the best but most scanners have a hard time.
I have a bcd436 and it is ok in some parts of Ankeny but other areas of the county it garbles or misses transmissions.

Polk City and Mitchelville broadcast most of the system talkgroups and can be easier to pick up since they are not simulcast sites but you would have to be near the sites as they don't cover the whole county like the Polk simulcast site does.
770.4037....The only cc freq listed in the SARA system for polk.... I get no radio traffic whatsoever. Maybe I just need to reprogram the Raycom system

firemedic78

Premium Subscriber
I am definitely going to need some assistance. According to the RACOM System, is still shows them on analog 800 mghz Trunking system, And I know they are all digital now, so obviously I need the new frequencies, at least the correct control channels, I don't know if the talk group ID's stayed the same or if I need all new talk groups, well if anybody has Polk County actively in there scanner, and happens to use ARC-XT As their programming software, feel free to email me a file with that system for Polk County and then I can add that into my scanner because my email will open the attachment because I use that same software. But the SARA system, Which by the way is where I got the one control frequency I just put in my previous reply, is not working, or I have the wrong frequencies, and I am and desperate need of some help. Thank you very much in advance. My email address is firemedic78@msn.com

Chris

N0ZJT

Database Admin
If you are trying to hear the Polk Co site for SARA from Menlo, it most likely isn't going to work because of your distance from the sites.

If it's going to work, you should hear some sort of digital noise on 770.04375. Make sure you have that frequency correct too, as your previous message had it as 770.4037.

Don't program the RACOM system. There isn't much using it anymore. The database hasn't been updated to reflect what talkgroups are still active because that's harder to actually confirm.

ISW376

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind Sara is a Harris system all frequencies can be used as a control channel and they do rotate often.

This includes all frequencies not just what's labeled as red or blue I've seen the non colored frequencies used as a control channel it's always safer to program all frequencies.

It doesn't have effect on scanning speed.

firemedic78

Premium Subscriber
If you are trying to hear the Polk Co site for SARA from Menlo, it most likely isn't going to work because of your distance from the sites.

If it's going to work, you should hear some sort of digital noise on 770.04375. Make sure you have that frequency correct too, as your previous message had it as 770.4037.

Don't program the RACOM system. There isn't much using it anymore. The database hasn't been updated to reflect what talkgroups are still active because that's harder to actually confirm.
I never could hear it from Menlo, but I am a contract driver, and I am always in Polk Co. so that is why I like to have it in. I had it a while ago, but for some reason, after doing a firmware update, it jumped Polk Co. system back to the old analog racom 800 mghz trunking system, which was weird, because I had the ISICS and other P-25 Phase 2 systems programmed in, and they stayed jusdt fine....But for somoe reason, it just messed with the Polk Co. system and reset it back to the old RACOM system. Thanks. I will just program, it under the SARA system now.

Chris