• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Pope: Turning churches into businesses is a scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.
But is the priest charging, or the church?
The priest may have nothing to do with all the charges involved in a wedding, a piano player, a lay minister reading, etc.

Although I'm not Catholic, from what I understand, the priest is ultimately in charge of his church/diocese and its staff, and responsible to the Bishop. IMHO, the Pope may be commenting on charges that are outside the normal/minimal costs/time of doing business/operating the parish. What irks me, is the charge for prayers and baptisms. Those are (IMHO) ultimately central parts of a priest's job. I can see charging for weddings and funerals as they do take time and effort away from a priest's duties (and time off to relax and to prepare for his next sermon(s)..

What would Pope Francis say if he knew that the biggest landholder/landlord in the City of New York is the Archdiocease? While the average priest still has his oath of poverty, the higher ups are still living high on the hog not unlike the prelates and nobility of old.

fleef

Premium Subscriber
How 'bout turning ancient churches into auto repair shops?!

En masse desecration of churches in Italy

I'm not Catholic either - but was practically gasping at these gorgeous old fantastic churches SOLD and turned into dirty auto repair shops, restaurants etc. Amazing... these churches are hundreds and hundreds of years old. Baffles me that the Italians would allow this to happen.

Like I said I am not Catholic but that website has a lot of pretty interesting articles and opinions on it.

I note that, today, Pope Francis blasted the Vatican Curia for power grabs and other offenses. Way to go Pope Frankie. There is a true priest at work and he's making long overdue changes that bring the Vatican bureaucracy back in line with their mission as a church administration. He's not pulling punches and shaking the bad apples out of the tree. While not a Roman Catholic, I would hope that the Anglican church will follow suit.

Not the first time someone has taken issue with this. See Matthew 21:12. Jesus gets fed up with those doing business in the temple and turns the tables on them - literally.

Status
Not open for further replies.