Portland p25

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
im not even hearing the control channels so im thinking its probably not as powerful as say Auburn/Lewiston or NH SP

BlackSheepDue

im not even hearing the control channels so im thinking its probably not as powerful as say Auburn/Lewiston or NH SP

You also have to keep in mind that it's 800mhz which doesn't the range that vhf does so comparing it to the twin cites or NH isn't fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackSheepDue

That doesn't surprise me much. The motorola system anyway drops off quickly after 25-30 miles outside of portland. I dont know if the p25 system will have more range or not

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
Should have no problems hearing it in L/A. Analog why's as far as p25 thats what I'm reporting

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

K1IWN

That doesn't surprise me much. The motorola system anyway drops off quickly after 25-30 miles outside of portland. I dont know if the p25 system will have more range or not.

That sounds about right. I am in Poland and can pick up Portland dispatch on the mobile as I head out my door. I can pick up portables around the Gray/Cumberland line.

The P25 system MSComm uses has towers all around, as does CMP. The 30 mile circumference area is about right on those as well.

If they have a tower somewhere in North Deering, I have a shot of getting it at the house on the base. I am right on the 30 mile doorstep.

BlackSheepDue

That sounds about right. I am in Poland and can pick up Portland dispatch on the mobile as I head out my door. I can pick up portables around the Gray/Cumberland line.

The P25 system MSComm uses has towers all around, as does CMP. The 30 mile circumference area is about right on those as well.

If they have a tower somewhere in North Deering, I have a shot of getting it at the house on the base. I am right on the 30 mile doorstep.

If you look at the gps info for mscommnet on RR the have the range set to 25 mi but that's very conservative for vhf. I pick up towers up to 50 mi with a bcd436hp and 40 inch telescopic antenna. 800 mhz just doesn't have the range of vhf. If it's any consolation the vhf simulcast of Portland prime and south Portland prime isn't going anywhere so you'll certainly be able to listen to that.

K1IWN

If you look at the gps info for mscommnet on RR the have the range set to 25 mi but that's very conservative for vhf. I pick up towers up to 50 mi with a bcd436hp and 40 inch telescopic antenna. 800 mhz just doesn't have the range of vhf. If it's any consolation the vhf simulcast of Portland prime and south Portland prime isn't going anywhere so you'll certainly be able to listen to that.

Right on!

I know I can pick up Portland on VHF on the 436 in my car in my driveway. I have not added the system on the 536 as of yet since I upgraded my base antenna. I will do that and see what I can pick up.

I am thinking it will be a remote chance of picking up the Portland 800 mHz transmissions where I am. If I was on top of a hill I'd have a better shot, but I am not (halfway up with some obstruction to the S/SE. I'll play around and see what I can get. I am not ruling out running an outdoor wire, but I am skeptical of too much of a financial investment chasing a pipe dream.

I get my Portland fix for action since I work there, so I am by no means shut out. It would be nice to get it at home, but the 536 is pretty busy with all that I monitor there. It would simply be the cherry on the sundae.

BlackSheepDue

Right on!

I know I can pick up Portland on VHF on the 436 in my car in my driveway. I have not added the system on the 536 as of yet since I upgraded my base antenna. I will do that and see what I can pick up.

I am thinking it will be a remote chance of picking up the Portland 800 mHz transmissions where I am. If I was on top of a hill I'd have a better shot, but I am not (halfway up with some obstruction to the S/SE. I'll play around and see what I can get. I am not ruling out running an outdoor wire, but I am skeptical of too much of a financial investment chasing a pipe dream.

I get my Portland fix for action since I work there, so I am by no means shut out. It would be nice to get it at home, but the 536 is pretty busy with all that I monitor there. It would simply be the cherry on the sundae.

I run a 536 in the car but in order not to miss too much I run a 436 and 396 in tandem when I'm home. Most of the time you wouldn't miss much not hearing the 800mhz side anyway.

BillW1

A long range Yagi should help if you can git it up some. When I was in Lyman a few years ago I could just hear the control channel on a rubber antenna in the 2nd floor. Anything is possible.

BlackSheepDue

A long range Yagi should help if you can git it up some. When I was in Lyman a few years ago I could just hear the control channel on a rubber antenna in the 2nd floor. Anything is possible.

Scanning is a weird and ever surprising hobby!

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
I might be relocating closer to Portland area or Scarborough so then I won't have any issues

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

K1IWN

Which one would you recommend, Bill?

BlackSheepDue

I just set my 436 on portland metro p25 for an hour or so without a peep. It locks on a CC but that's it. I'll check periodically over the next 2 weeks while I'm home for spring break but I wouldn't say there will be much to hear for a little while.

BillW1

I use to dispatch and I have a friend who still works for an agency who is involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.