BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Portland Scanning issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petertherock

So I have a Uniden BCD996P2 that I just got. The issue I have been having is it takes a long time to find a control channel. Once it finds a control channel it operates great. In fact, much better than the Whistler I have.

I live in Saco, so obviously I lose the reception once I get out of the Portland area. But my whistler scanner didn’t have any trouble getting a control channel when I get back into the Portland area.

Does anyone know if this issue is because it’s a brand new scanner and hopefully now it will easily find the control channel when I go into Portland the next time, or is this a setting issue. I do have the control channel frequency programmed in and I have it on the scan instead of search control channel option.

Anyone know about these scanners? I looked in the instruction manual and couldn’t find anything that would explain this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I have a Uniden BCD996P2 that I just got. The issue I have been having is it takes a long time to find a control channel. Once it finds a control channel it operates great. In fact, much better than the Whistler I have.

I live in Saco, so obviously I lose the reception once I get out of the Portland area. But my whistler scanner didn’t have any trouble getting a control channel when I get back into the Portland area.

Does anyone know if this issue is because it’s a brand new scanner and hopefully now it will easily find the control channel when I go into Portland the next time, or is this a setting issue. I do have the control channel frequency programmed in and I have it on the scan instead of search control channel option.

How strong is the signal you get on the CC?

It has nothing to do with the scanner being new.

Is the firmware up to date?

BCD996P2FirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

What system are you trying to monitor?

Last edited:

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
Petertherock - I recommend first updating the Firmware then the Database.
In this Transitional Phase of various agency going from Analog to Digital , you will find many systems replaced with P25 phase I and Phase II, and other Digital Systems. having a Complete and Updated Database on the PC and the Scanner is essential.
I update my Scanner Database every Sunday Morning.
Its also a Good Idea to Download the Entire System for an Agency , as opposed to Just Entering the Channels Manually. you might make a mistake or Leave out both Alternate and Backup control channels, or miss some Sites.
aside from that Check the Obvious, check the Antenna that its seated correctly and a Good Connection is made.
and to SET your Squelch Properly, Open your Squelch all the way (Counter Clockwise ), then Scan to a open Channel (Analog) with Static, then SET the Squelch by turning it Clockwise until the Scanner goes Quiet. Your Scanner Squelch is now SET.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I had to drive up to Portland Wednesday afternoon. On the way back, I was able to hear the Portland P25 trunk south on I-95 past Exit 36. That put me a bit south of Saco, so the signal is there. If you can't hear Portland that far south check the squelch setting and then check your antenna connections.

Petertherock

I just wanted to make a follow up post that thanks to a lurker in here that messaged me, I was able to find the problem. I had the squelch set to high! The lower the better for squelch setting. Now I can pick up Portland into Saco.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mcouture87

I just picked up a BCD996P2 scanner and am having a hard time picking up Portland(stock antenna). I'm on 302 at the Westbrook/Windham line. What type of antenna should I get to pickup Portland's P25?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Most likely your problem is that Portland uses a 6 site simulcast system. The older scanners all have problems with simulcast. Only the Uniden SDS100 and SDS200 scanners and the Unication G4 and G5 pagers are built to overcome that issue. Taking a long time to lock on a control channel is a sign of a simulcast problem.

garys

Premium Subscriber
He might be far enough out of Portland that he's not picking up more than one site. I'd try a back of antenna set with good coverage of 800 Mhz first. The Remtronic 830B would seem to be a good choice.

I know that I lose the P25 system when I get down around Saco, so it's not that high power a system.

Status
Not open for further replies.