Posey County Going NXDN...Questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramblin82

Anyone have talkgroups figured out yet?
I've only seen 11 maybe 13 talkgroups since it's gone live. I hope someone will confirm my info if they are hearing the same traffic.

TG=2 (Possibly the same Alpha Tag as the old 155.6250 in database, hearing PD/SO being dispatched/replies, law dispatch)
TG=7
TG=8

Not sure about the following two,
NEXEDGE48, 438, TG=49178 Timestamp=2019/06/08 21:31
NEXEDGE48, 438, TG=361 Timestamp=2019/05/13 15:11

Back when the system was first installed and running I was getting strange Talkgroups in my DSD groups list. I didn't have the fastlane version back then, possibly my DSD was messed up. They had blank timestamps, so I don't recommend they be added to the DB,

NEXEDGE48, 438, TG=13, 0000/00/00 0:00
NEXEDGE48, 438, TG=21, 0000/00/00 0:00
NEXEDGE48, 438, TG=90, 0000/00/00 0:00
NEXEDGE48, 438, TG=134, 0000/00/00 0:00
NEXEDGE, 438, TG=21156, 0000/00/00
NEXEDGE, 438, TG=21157, 0000/00/00
NEXEDGE, 438, TG=21348, 00000/00/00
NEXEDGE, 438, TG=21358, 0000/00/00
NEXEDGE, 438, TG=21520, 0000/00/00
NEXEDGE, 438, TG=21665, 00000/00/00
NEXEDGE, 438, TG=21675, 0000/00/00

Last edited:

lviper

Premium Subscriber
I concur I've heard city police and sheriff dispatch on TG2
I'm hearing fire and EMS dispatch on TG1

Thus far I've only seen TG's 1 through 11.
The radios files only shows affiliations on TG's 1-4, 6-11. Yet to see any affiliations on TG5.

appalling_hauling

Premium Subscriber
I just got it worked out as far as download but it still has that trapped in a tin can submerged sound. Im locked on the St Phillip tower. Got to narrow it down and get my 2 Uniden s upgraded.
I heard them switch over from analog and if they hadn't the the old dispatch channel would be jumping in over the trunked channels. Complete with the annoying feedback distortion at the end of each transmission on analog

ramblin82

I heard the following traffic yesterday on TG 9, sounds like it's a TAC-7 fire group.

Attachments

• Group_Call_TG9_TAC7.zip
    62.3 KB · Views: 11

ramblin82

I just heard an MVPD unit telling another to switch over to TAC-2, it then went encrypted on TG=11. I also have the logs & audio before they switched. This concurs with lvipers post about TG=11 being encrypted, not sure yet if it's full time encrypted.

Last edited:

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Spent 90 minutes in Posey county today.Was in wadesville,New harmony then Mt vernon.Sds100 programmed from RR heard Nothing even though the online scanner did. The only scanner is ONLY the NXDN system confirmed by provider.
I wonder if system has radio affiliation.I give an example and try to make it easy question.
Say a 65-XX unit calls in from N H tower will all 5 towers have his traffic?Or is it we must have a 65 unit parked on say TG 2 Disp on the site we are hearing at the time?I would think TG 2 LAW disp is pushed to all 5 towers all the time.
Now had a good signal in wadesville off Poseyville tower.However wow hardly any signal anywhere in NH . off NW tower.Strange.
Also and MILF you know the answer do the Kenwood radios scan the 5 towers and lock onto the strongest signal.Help me and all of us thru basic how NXDN systems are setup like Posey with 5 towers I call them and not 5 sites right?

Thanks

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
ALL trunked systems use affiliation, and the simple answer is this.. If there is a radio affiliated to a site you are monitoring, and that radio has the TG that is active in its codeplug and active in its scan list, you will hear the traffic of that TG. This does not matter if it is an console attached to an mobile radio for dispatch, an mobile in a cruiser riding through the area, or an HT on the hip of an officer in a bathroom taking a leak. All TRS function the same in basic ways. The logic of the radios locks onto the strongest/best signal it can find. Yes, EACH tower in the Posey system is a Site, as is the same for ANY stand alone site in an TRS. Each has an unique Site ID. With NexEDGE its defined by the RAN.

Does not matter if its an P25, MotoTRBO, NexEDGE, LTR, EDACS, or Motorola Type I.... There are certain basics that go with all Trunked Radio Systems.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
In TRS's, Each repeater if it is an stand alone is a site, where as in an simulcast, every repeater in the simulcast is identical, and thus the entire simulcast counts as a single site. There are specialized sites in P25, DMR, and EDACS that can use a SINGLE frequency to do all the functions that used to require at least 2 frequencies. But as far as I know, this does not exist in NXDN trunking, be it NexEDGE, or iDACS. The Posey County NexEDGE TRS is an 5 Site system, with all the sites linked via the usual methods of landline, or microwave backhaul just like any TRS. The dispatch center sends out calls that go to ALL the sites for broadcast, but you will only hear it if you A: Have a radio that is affiliated on one of the sites, is legitimate for the system, has the TG programmed in its codeplug, and in the currently active scan list. B: Your monitoring with a scanner/SDR, and an radio affiliates to the site your monitoring that has the TG in its codeplug, and in an active scan list. C: Your using an radio set up to NOT affiliate, but still can actively monitor TGs. I highly frown on method C for any system as your dragging TG's and tying up resources even if your not actively using the system.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
For scanners, make sure you have ALL the freqs for each site. Make sure they are in PROPER LCN order. Make sure you have good decode, a proper delay, and site hold set for the system and sites and TG's. Make sure you do not have any close call turned on. Make sure you have the system programmed in correctly.

ramblin82

Spent 90 minutes in Posey county today.Was in wadesville,New harmony then Mt vernon.Sds100 programmed from RR heard Nothing even though the online scanner did. The only scanner is ONLY the NXDN system confirmed by provider.
I wonder if system has radio affiliation.I give an example and try to make it easy question.
Say a 65-XX unit calls in from N H tower will all 5 towers have his traffic?Or is it we must have a 65 unit parked on say TG 2 Disp on the site we are hearing at the time?I would think TG 2 LAW disp is pushed to all 5 towers all the time.
Now had a good signal in wadesville off Poseyville tower.However wow hardly any signal anywhere in NH . off NW tower.Strange.
Also and MILF you know the answer do the Kenwood radios scan the 5 towers and lock onto the strongest signal.Help me and all of us thru basic how NXDN systems are setup like Posey with 5 towers I call them and not 5 sites right?

Thanks
I was the one who submitted the sites, which seem to work good on SDR with DSDPlus FL. I also hear traffic with my TRX-2, however TRX models don't follow NXDN control channels so LCN order wouldn't really matter on them.

Is it possible I submitted the LCN order wrong? I mapped out the sites with DSDPlus but I don't have a scanner with an LCN finder to compare with at the moment. I do know that the site neighbors list is correct as DSDPlus automatically list those even without programming anything into DSD.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
I am far too far away to verify any of these myself. But unless your way off on your SDR and DSD+ set up, it should have given you the right ones. If I was closer I would give it a run on my BCD436HP.

lviper

Premium Subscriber
In TRS's, Each repeater if it is an stand alone is a site, where as in an simulcast, every repeater in the simulcast is identical, and thus the entire simulcast counts as a single site. There are specialized sites in P25, DMR, and EDACS that can use a SINGLE frequency to do all the functions that used to require at least 2 frequencies. But as far as I know, this does not exist in NXDN trunking, be it NexEDGE, or iDACS. The Posey County NexEDGE TRS is an 5 Site system, with all the sites linked via the usual methods of landline, or microwave backhaul just like any TRS. The dispatch center sends out calls that go to ALL the sites for broadcast, but you will only hear it if you A: Have a radio that is affiliated on one of the sites, is legitimate for the system, has the TG programmed in its codeplug, and in the currently active scan list. B: Your monitoring with a scanner/SDR, and an radio affiliates to the site your monitoring that has the TG in its codeplug, and in an active scan list. C: Your using an radio set up to NOT affiliate, but still can actively monitor TGs. I highly frown on method C for any system as your dragging TG's and tying up resources even if your not actively using the system.

This is very helpful, thank you.

Just to make sure I understand, In your explanation of dispatch, using a scanner I would be able to hear dispatch as long as there is another radio programmed to hear it affiliated with the site I'm monitoring. So for example, dispatch sends out a broadcast to all 5 sites, but there is only mobile units affiliated with sites 1 and 2. I would hear that broadcast only on sites 1 and 2. Sites 3, 4 and 5 would be silent. Is that correct?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
This is very helpful, thank you.

So for example, dispatch sends out a broadcast to all 5 sites, but there is only mobile units affiliated with sites 1 and 2. I would hear that broadcast only on sites 1 and 2. Sites 3, 4 and 5 would be silent. Is that correct?

Correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lviper

Premium Subscriber
One more question on understanding this system. I only monitor site 1. Can't reach the other sites. Since both city police (MVPD) and county sheriff (PCSO) both use TG2 on all sites, then as long as there is one mvpd unit affiliated with site 1 then I should hear all other units on any other site on TG2, right?

I ask this because I'm hearing a sheriff unit who is located way north and should be on the poseyville site while listening to site 1 in town.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
One more question on understanding this system. I only monitor site 1. Can't reach the other sites. Since both city police (MVPD) and county sheriff (PCSO) both use TG2 on all sites, then as long as there is one mvpd unit affiliated with site 1 then I should hear all other units on any other site on TG2, right?

I ask this because I'm hearing a sheriff unit who is located way north and should be on the poseyville site while listening to site 1 in town.

As long as each site, including the site you can hear, has a radio affiliated on the talkgroup you are wanting to listen to, you will hear ALL traffic on that talkgroup.

If the site you can hear does NOT have a radio affiliated on the talkgroup you want to listen to, you will NOT hear ANY traffic on that talkgroup

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Odds are, that there will always be at least one MVPD, or PCSO radio in affiliation with Site 1. Same is true for EMS, EMA/DHS, and FD. In fact knowing how most radios would be programmed,... If you have an EMA/DHS guy in town, your going to hear EVERY primary TG on the system as those WILL be programmed into the primary zone and scan list for them.

lviper

Premium Subscriber
As long as each site, including the site you can hear, has a radio affiliated on the talkgroup you are wanting to listen to, you will hear ALL traffic on that talkgroup.

If the site you can hear does NOT have a radio affiliated on the talkgroup you want to listen to, you will NOT hear ANY traffic on that talkgroup

That is what I thought, thank you so much.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Can some one that runs dsd plus check Phillips station LCN some one just told me he think lcn 52 has changed as to a new freq?? He runs lcn finder with his 536 for over 5 hours and as of late never shows the lcn 52 does show 51,53

thanks
CH IDFrequency
51154.7475c
53155.625c

Status
Not open for further replies.