Post Update BCD396T vs. GREPSR-500

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Perhaps this post is a little bit premature, but I would be interested in how the post update BCD396 compares to the GRE PSR-500. I would be particularly interested in anybody that has both and has compared them on a system with CQPSK modulation. I currently have a BCD996 that I use in the house on a discone and a GRE PSR-500 that I use in a vehicle. I do not use an external antenna with the GRE PSR-500; I just use the stock rubber duck antenna. As you can imagine, listening to a multi-packet system on the GRE PSR-500 can sound great one moment and not so good a moment later while in motion. I have a work Motorola XTS5000 that is often monitoring some of the same talkgroups, so I know when the talkgroups are active. I do like the GRE PSR-500, but I do think that there is still some room for improvement of the CQPSK systems.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
JASII said:
Perhaps this post is a little bit premature, but I would be interested in how the post update BCD396 compares to the GRE PSR-500. I would be particularly interested in anybody that has both and has compared them on a system with CQPSK modulation.

I'm running it on both Delaware County, Ohio (CQPSK simulcast) and MARCS ("ordinary" simulcast) and have noticed a definite overall improvement with digital modulation, but still not up to the quality of the PSR500.

That's it in a nutshell.

918Dave

No noticeable improvements after upgrading here in Phoenix, AZ. Both the GRE and Uniden units equally suck when attempting to monitor the PRWN system. I'm hoping the next upgrade addresses this system specifically, otherwise I'm sure there will be many current customers in this area who won't consider purchasing future digital units based on the 'hope' that reception will have improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.