Post Your Mystery Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecps92

My monitoring experience has shown the use of ENC varies wildly and I do not rely on the RRDB to flag those reported as 100% ENC

So, you were hearing the same traffic on more than one Repeater?
Likely a wide-area Vote-Scan like CBP/BP and ICE are using in AZ
What were those other FBI channels ?

IF it is a wide-area Net. it will be what-ever selection the user is set for.
ENC will not vary by Repeater.

There are, and could be in your area Repeaters where the users are STRAPPED
for 100% ENC, but then even some of those have shown some Non ENC with a little monitoring.
Do they sometimes use partial encryption? On the other repeaters that I was hearing simultaneously, the E for encryption wasn't showing up, but I wasn't getting a very good decode because they were farther away.

DHAS12

My monitoring experience has shown the use of ENC varies wildly and I do not rely on the RRDB to flag those reported as 100% ENC

So, you were hearing the same traffic on more than one Repeater?
Likely a wide-area Vote-Scan like CBP/BP and ICE are using in AZ
What were those other FBI channels ?

IF it is a wide-area Net. it will be what-ever selection the user is set for.
ENC will not vary by Repeater.

for 100% ENC, but then even some of those have shown some Non ENC with a little monitoring.

I'm not 100% sure if it was the same traffic. But I was scanning through the federal VHF band, and I picked up the frequency I asked about full scale, encrypted, then I continued scanning and picked up 2 other repeaters that I was not able to decode fully. They may have been something else. I can't remember what the other frequencies were because I didn't save them.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
IF it is a wide-area Net. it will be what-ever selection the user is set for. ENC will not vary by Repeater.

Up in this part of the country the ENC is purely decided by user and/or radio settings. If the user has the ENC switch enabled then traffic will be ENC. It seems that there are quite a few radios however that don't have the proper ENC configuration.

Oddly, the most consistent ENC has been from USCG. They generally have one conventional frequency that is about 50% ENC. The others are nearly 100% ENC but I'm guessing it's still radio dependent.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Where was it heard? Any military bases nearby?

See my above location. JBLM is pretty far... 20 miles plus... and reception is nil from my location.

I did catch a few in-the-clear transmissions but they were fringy at best. I'll post the clearest one later today. It was basically one unit calling another unit and then the transmission started to drop out. "107 [to] 57" ...something like that.

autovon

Ø
Where was it heard at? 163.625 is a CBP/ICE frequency but if you were near NE or MO it could be part of their state trunked systems.
It was heard near Omaha. Not part of the adjacent state radio systems, they aren't that low in the Fed band. Wasn't sure if the NAC would be a giveaway as I've read before with some agencies.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Heard in the Winston-Salem, NC area today:

*166.250 / FM / PL 118.8 Hz -- Might be something besides federal as it seems that is a shared frequency
*170.750 / P25 / Full-time encryption / NAC 293 -- Maybe local federal courthouse?
*173.1125 / P25 / Unknown NAC -- In my recordings there were several key ups but no audio meaning either they were simply just keyups, or it was encrypted and the scanner muted the frequency.

ecps92

170.7500 $293 is the US District Court Security Officers.
166.2500 is likely one of your Local New Media Outlets

Heard in the Winston-Salem, NC area today:

*166.250 / FM / PL 118.8 Hz -- Might be something besides federal as it seems that is a shared frequency
*170.750 / P25 / Full-time encryption / NAC 293 -- Maybe local federal courthouse?
*173.1125 / P25 / Unknown NAC -- In my recordings there were several key ups but no audio meaning either they were simply just keyups, or it was encrypted and the scanner muted the frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.