Posting of Fire/EMS/PD Incidents

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue7043

I know that I don't post much on here, mostly because I just read the message boards. If I find a topic that I have information about to share I am glad to do so, as I have in the past with the Oconto Co. System. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way (or I'm just the only one to pipe up) but it seems to be a bit of an annoyance to me when I see a post on this message board for Fire/EMS/PD Incidents. I belong to a google group (WIA) and get these alerts already, I don't really see the need for them to be posted 2, even 3 different places that I monitor quite a bit. I really enjoy the information shared on this message board, but can someone please tell me the relavance (besides that these units are dispatched with radio communications) of posting Alerts like this on a message board intended for discussion about radio communications?

Matt

hoser147

Alot of the members like to tune in via live feeds, I would say that is the biggest reason you often see bigger events posted in the various Breaking News Forums.............Hoser

rescue7043

That I can understand, but the part I was refering to was the Wisconsin Radio Discussion Forum. If there is a special forum for breaking news events, then I'm all for the posting of those things there. However, the title of this particular forum is Wisconsin Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Wisconsin. If you take a look at the incidents that were posted, I don't believe (to the best of my knowledge) that these were BREAKING INCIDENTS that even made it to the news. Hence the reason for my post about why they are being posted in this group.

Last edited:

djeplett

Good topic for a poll. If a lot of the members here don't want to hear about "breaking incident" type posts then those of us who have posted them (myself included) would get the hint that these types of posts aren't welcome by all.

Start a poll and let's see how everyone weighs in.

ac9f

Premium Subscriber
Keep it going

For myself it does not bother me to read here in this forum that something is happening in Wisconsin. This particular portion of the forum for Wisconsin sometimes goes for days without a post. It is good to see it used and some activity. If I see the title for a message and don't want to read it, I do not open that message. I think we should keep it going. We watch 3 different TV stations news report on an incident or we just ignore it and shut the TV off.

cpd38

Premium Subscriber
Maybe more people need to be aware of WIA and WIA-2. I'm guessing that a lot of people don't know about it.

Just my 2 cents anyway. It never hurts to promote it a bit more and get more people involved with it.

Premium Subscriber
rescue7043 said:
I know that I don't post much on here, mostly because I just read the message boards. If I find a topic that I have information about to share I am glad to do so, as I have in the past with the Oconto Co. System. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way (or I'm just the only one to pipe up) but it seems to be a bit of an annoyance to me when I see a post on this message board for Fire/EMS/PD Incidents. I belong to a google group (WIA) and get these alerts already, I don't really see the need for them to be posted 2, even 3 different places that I monitor quite a bit. I really enjoy the information shared on this message board, but can someone please tell me the relevance (besides that these units are dispatched with radio communications) of posting Alerts like this on a message board intended for discussion about radio communications?

Matt
I also belong to the WIA group,I have seen several incidents that where NOT posted there on here. Just because you or I belong to that group doesnt mean everyone should or wants too. My point being because it's overkill to you, it's not to MANY others therefore I vote for incidents to stay indefinitely. Just my two cents worth.

mkescan

One thing bad about posting something here is most of the incidents could be at least a day old by the time most people read about it,So the excitment of tuning in on a scanner or a feed isn't there.
You should see all the hits some feeds get right after something goes out on WIA.

rescue128

why dont you just get a life and find something else better to complain about. you arent required to read everything that is posted.

triryche

Premium Subscriber
rescue128 said:
why dont you just get a life and find something else better to complain about. you arent required to read everything that is posted.

gee, that was a real professional reply :roll:

another callsign to add to the list of DB's not to talk to :lol:

rescue128

triryche said:
gee, that was a real professional reply :roll:

another callsign to add to the list of DB's not to talk to :lol:

and you say my reply is professional? you wont talk to me on the ham band because i disagree with someones point of view?

rescue7043

rescue128 said:

I'm sorry, was that a response to my post? Doesn't seem that you answered my question that I posted. You might want to go back and read it again. I believe it was... I really enjoy the information shared on this message board, but can someone please tell me the relavance (besides that these units are dispatched with radio communications) of posting Alerts like this on a message board intended for discussion about radio communications?

Such as I am not required to read everything that is posted, I don't believe that YOU are required to respond to everything that is posted.

Others have given great responses to this subject, seems that you are just looking to start a pissing match, I however will have no part in that.

To everyone else, I thank you for your responses to my original post.

rescue128

i was stating my opinion on the OP. why should someone care what is posted, if you arent interested, dont read the post, thats my point

rescue128

maybe posting things here such as large incidents might interest people from other areas that are not part of WIA as to what is going on in this part of the country.

rescue7043

Seems perfectly fine to me to have others post LARGE incidents, the FALK incident in MKE last year would have been an excellent one. The snowmobile one in Kewaunee Co. was a good one to post, but there were a couple others that sounded big at first and turned into nothing.

I never said that these topics should be banned from this thread either. I voiced an opinion and asked a question, which you still have yet to answer, just your personal whining and bickering with others that have posted.

rescue128

your the one claiming to be annoyed. so whats the big deal if im annoyed with your question? Im still wondering what the big deal is if someone posts an incident that you are inclined to read?

triryche

Premium Subscriber
rescue128 said:
your the one claiming to be annoyed. so whats the big deal if im annoyed with your question? Im still wondering what the big deal is if someone posts an incident that you are inclined to read?

The answer to that is probably the same as to why you aren't inclined to reply to them.

Seems like a legitimate issue to me. A place for everything and everything in it's place and it seems a forum such as this isn't exactly the best place for posting breaking news. Like mkescan mentioned, most people don't read these forums as topics are posted. Usually days later..or at least a few hours.

Last edited:

KB9NLL

New London (Outagamie Co. WI) & Readfield (waupa
Ya lets have a poll till then whats the address of, or link, or what do you look for as far as:
Maybe more people need to be aware of WIA and WIA-2. I'm guessing that a lot of people don't know about it.
whats the big secret just put up a link instead of maybe we should tell them.:confused:

And by the way I appreciate people posting incidents every once in a while. Also I noticed that some states have the regular state discussion and then some also have incidents section besides. My guess is since wisconsin doesn't get used much it's not worth it or no one ever asked a moderator for one. If they feel It's not worth it due to low traffic in this state then start posting more or just put up with it I guess cause otherwise the incident posters are letf out. But I think the WIA and WIA-2 is a good idea if we could only tell people...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.