Power a Handheld scanners from the USB port

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDHG4U61

My Uniden SDS-100 is charging from the supplied wall adaptor via the USB cable. About 3-hours and still charging now, too long, and it might run for almost 4 hours when ready. So, Is it possible to find online a pocket power brick used for charging cell phones as an alternative way to power the SDS scanner. This brick worked fine on my Whistler TRX-1, just asking if it has been tried.

marksmith

It works, but it will last about one third the time it did in your other scanner.

The SDS100 takes a ton of power compared to other scanners because of the multiple processors involved.

But yes... until they get a longer battery to us, using a portable power supply is the temporary solution.

Mark
SDS100/536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

airman9000

you will probably need a power brick with 10-20 Ah to make it worthwhile.the cost could be $40-50

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
The best solution is to buy two battery packs so you can swap them out without having to recharge the battery on the unit. That, or just plug it in to a USB port while you're at home. That's what I do with my 436HP and 125AT to save on batteries..and the inconvenience of having to swap batteries in and out.

CrabbyMilton

Great advise. Pinball, how do you like your 436? I have one on order so I'm really looking forward to trying it out hopefully without out too much fuss but I've been reading some tutorials so I think it'll be fine. I plan to keep one of my 250D's and us it for travel but it's no longer worth using since the battery on one of them is so bad that it won't hold the charge and I really don't want to keep spending $45.00 for new batteries for both 250D's when they won't pick up digital systems
Back to the power issue for the 436.
An USB sounds great but I would guess the standard AC adapter would work too?

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Great advise. Pinball, how do you like your 436?

I think the 436HP is the second best scanner Uniden has ever made right after the 396XT. That is how much I like it. NXDN, DMR, P25, Pro Voice, LTR, zip code function, recording ability, etc. It's pretty awesome. I think you'll like it.

The USB cable can be plugged into those little cubes and plugged into the wall, yes. Or, you can use any old cell phone charger as well, but make sure to put a ferrite bead on the cord.

f2shooter

If you have a Battery Source nearby they can just make new battery packs for you. They've made new ones for both of my SportCats for a total of $30. Take the old ones as they will need the plugs but it takes a few hours at most.

Rick H.

Rred

USB chargers in PC's are often still USB-1 rated. They will only supply 500mA.
If you find a USB charger for a late model cell phone, some will put out 2 or 2.5A *but* some are proprietary and will only put out that power to a matching brand cell phone. (There's some negotiation between the two, or a pull-up resistor in involved.)

If you look around you can find USB wall supplies that will put out 3A to any USB device that will take it. Often these are sold with USB battery packs as the charger for them. Anything over 3A is likely to be a USB-C device or proprietary.

So that's a practical limit for generic "USB" charger packs. USB-3 rated, capable of 3.0A, and that's it, AFAIK.

USB-C and 5A ratings are starting to pop up, but they're still unicorns.

325xia

Premium Subscriber
Great advise. Pinball, how do you like your 436? I have one on order so I'm really looking forward to trying it out hopefully without out too much fuss but I've been reading some tutorials so I think it'll be fine. I plan to keep one of my 250D's and us it for travel but it's no longer worth using since the battery on one of them is so bad that it won't hold the charge and I really don't want to keep spending $45.00 for new batteries for both 250D's when they won't pick up digital systems

Can’t go wrong with the 436. A great handheld. Really good reception for me. AA Batteries, (no proprietary battery). Like my 396 XT better as far as the Speaker. But, programming it is difficult. It’s really hard to find this discontinued model. And for good reason. Both are the best Uniden handhelds made thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.