Powered speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peerlessk

Now I don’t know if anyone else has this issue but assuming you do ? If you were to buy a powered external speaker what one would you buy ? There seems to be many choices . Feedback please with what any of you are using . Thanks

KD8ZDT

I use a little 12 volt speaker, they’re commonly used in vehicles (I think semi-truck drivers use them with cb radios?), with a little 12v power supply on my desk to power it.

It a small, versatile, cheap setup... and sounds good. Plus you can run it off a battery if you need to.

Ubbe

I agree that the internal speaker is terrible. You can probably use an un-amplified speaker if you choose one with less bass and more treble to compensate the sound curve of the 536 audio. I use a small 2 inch speaker and the audio sounds almost perfect to me when all the bass are cut out. I use this speaker but probably any good quality small speaker will do. KL1 | peiker International, Inc
csm_KL1-2601-001-000-51_5d3027015f.jpg

/Ubbe

Bob1955

Home use . The 536 sounds like it’s under a blanket
Agree with you 100%. My friend just got one. It is NO way near the audio quality of a Bearcat BC125AT or sensitivity on VHF/UHF and we both have the Diamond RH77CA antenna. People tend to over-buy as I've said numerous times.

DeDawg

I agree that the internal speaker is terrible. You can probably use an un-amplified speaker if you choose one with less bass and more treble to compensate the sound curve of the 536 audio. I use a small 2 inch speaker and the audio sounds almost perfect to me when all the bass are cut out. I use this speaker but probably any good quality small speaker will do. KL1 | peiker International, Inc
csm_KL1-2601-001-000-51_5d3027015f.jpg

/Ubbe

Is this the 4 0r 8 ohm version?

Been trying to find a U.S. source for Peiker without success.

Ubbe

Is this the 4 0r 8 ohm version?
I looked at the back of it and it says 20 ohm. This came from a taxi cab that had the speaker just behind his head. I assume the high impedance make it less effective and the volume control on a 2-way radio are in a better range with a speaker one foot from your ear. It will automaticly reduce any background hiss or hum from the scanners internal electronics and I use volume 9-10 on the BCD536. I think you can use any speaker with a small cone size for the BCD536.

On the Whistler TRX-2 I have a big Motorola speaker and it says 2 ohm on that and I use volume 2 on the TRX. If I turn off everything in the room I can hear ticking and hiss from that speaker so it's probably a bit too sensitive.

/Ubbe

stantorres

I just started using a Uniden BC23A amplified speaker. Not bad. The "Bearcat" badge on the front was falling off when I opened the box, but seems to be holding once I re-stuck it. I powered it with a RS 2.5 amp power supply, which was not enough, so be aware that it needs a bit of juice to run at high volume. It has a metal mounting bracket, plenty of power wire, and a volume wheel on the side. After a few seconds of inactivity it powers down. When audio is received it wakes up pretty quick and I don't think it misses much during power-up (wakes up pretty quick). A red LED in the speaker grill lights up when audio is being received.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
A Baofeng UV-8HP/UV-82 has BETTER audio then any Uniden Bearcat handheld scanner period. This is really pathetic and it is a "CHINESE" import too even though a transceiver and not a true scanner.

I'm not sure what your point is. Virtually all electronics come from Asia. I think the only American-made piece of electronics I have is the GPS unit for my 436 made by Jon (and I suspect most of the components were made in China).

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I use the Yaesu MLS speaker with several of my scanners (BCD536HP included) and they work very well unamplified. Agreed on the 536 sounding muffled, once I put the sound out there with the MLS it sounds great without all the hassle of power supplys and impedence etc. Plug n' play the way it's supposed to be. They are a pricey speaker, but you won't regret it.

JD
kf4anc

Status
Not open for further replies.