• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

prayer for first responders

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I listen to my scanner and a call comes in I like to pray for the first responders and others that may be in harms way. Is there any one out there who does this as well ?

When I listen to my scanner and a call comes in I like to pray for the first responders and others that may be in harms way. Is there any one out there who does this as well ?
Prayer: How to do nothing and still believe you're helping...
I know of dispatchers, police officers, firefighters, EMS personnel, and hospital personnel, who pray for the people their agency is trying to help, even if that responder is on-duty but not on the call, or off-duty listening to a scanner or pager. I know of people who are not emergency services personnel who pray for those responding and those needing the response.

Prayer: ...Fairy tales are for children.
Hopefully, without going too far OT from the OP's "yes or no" question...

For those who don't believe in prayer, it seems like a waste of time. For Christians, asking God for help seems like a natural thing to do because Christians believe God loves each person, and that He rewards those who honestly try to have a relationship with Him. People of other religions pray to their gods based upon the specifics of their religion's beliefs, often with an idea of pleasing their god and hoping their god rewards them in-return by approving their request(s).

The action of praying for someone else might be the only way someone has available to show compassion in a particular situation, and might bring hope of Divine intervention and comfort into a situation where the person-in-distress has little probability of surviving or improving without at least one miracle; or into a situation where protection is requested to keep others safe from danger that might be near them; or in a situation where the responder wants Divine help so that they do their job perfectly when no margin for error exists.

Just a thought,

SCPD

There's an invisible man living in the sky.
Your dead relatives are looking down on you, helping you and protecting you.
Mohammed flew to heaven on a winged horse.
Something magical is going to solve your problems.

Just a few examples of wishful thinking. Wishful thinking doesn't make them facts. Nothing but pretty words.

There's an invisible man living in the sky.
Your dead relatives are looking down on you, helping you and protecting you.
Mohammed flew to heaven on a winged horse.
Something magical is going to solve your problems.

Just a few examples of wishful thinking. Wishful thinking doesn't make them facts. Nothing but pretty words.
LOL! Like you have the answers to all of creation.

You don't know. And in your case, you had better hope your way of thinking is correct.

...Wishful thinking doesn't make them facts...
...just as wishing for God not to exist, does not prevent Him from existing; because none of us on earth control the existence of supernatural beings.

And so, if someone believes that prayer to God will help their "neighbor", that sounds to me like a kind thing to do.

SCPD

...just as wishing for God not to exist, does not prevent Him from existing; because none of us on earth control the existence of supernatural beings.
It's not that I wish for him not to exist, I just don't believe it. I don't believe in anything supernatural because I've never seen it. Have you?

It's not that I wish for him not to exist,
Ok, I understand now. Sorry for misunderstanding the earlier statement. Thanks for clarifying.

I don't believe in anything supernatural because I've never seen it. Have you?
Have I seen an angel? ...no; at least not that I know of. :)
Do I believe in God? ...yes; I believe in God, and in the power of prayer.

With respect to the OP's question about prayers for people in-distress or for those responding to help them, without giving private details, I will say that I know of situations where experts have no explanation why the persons-in-distress experienced the outcomes they did, or why the responders were kept safe the way they were, other than Divine-intervention that had been requested in a prayer.

SCPD

Ok, I understand now. Sorry for misunderstanding the earlier statement.
ok.

Have I seen an angel? ...no; at least not that I know of. :)
Do I believe in God? ...yes; I believe in God, and in the power of prayer.

With respect to the OP's question about prayers for people in-distress or for those responding to help them, without giving private details, I will say that I know of situations where experts have no explanation why the persons-in-distress experienced the outcomes they did, or why the responders were kept safe the way they were, other than Divine-intervention that had been requested in a prayer.
Experts in what, physics? Just because someone doesn't understand how something happens is not a good enough reason to make a leap of logic and say God did it.

Experts in what, physics?
My reference above was to expert physicians, not physicists.

When the experts (mentioned earlier) say that the outcome actually should not have happened, and that in all of their decades of training and experience they've never seen it happen before in the same situations, and with them being recognized experts in their field, it can lead one to consider that Divine intervention could be responsible, especially when it was requested in prayer.

Just because someone doesn't understand how something happens is not a good enough reason to make a leap of logic and say God did it.
Absolutely, I agree. I know that lack-of-understanding can lead to unfounded conclusions, in any topic of discussion or study.

And for clarity, even though I do wish more people believed in God and the power of prayer, my statements above were not trying to convince you to do so. I fully respect your beliefs and your right to choose those beliefs, and to keep or adjust them as you think best. My statements were intended simply as comments about my beliefs, and the beliefs of some people I know outside of these Forums.

To avoid officially being off-topic, I'm returning to the OP's question:
To the OP, I simply say that there are others who also pray much like you described, and that I think praying for someone else's benefit is a kind thing to do.

The human being is not capable of understanding many things we see daily, for instance:

How did space and time always exist? Something has to begin from somewhere, but it didn't.

Why the heck were we even put here into existence?

How does everything work so perfectly by means out of our control (ex- earth revolving around sun in synchronous time)?

There are many unanswered questions. Questions that no man can answer as fact.

You might want to think about that.

It's not that I wish for him not to exist, I just don't believe it. I don't believe in anything supernatural because I've never seen it. Have you?
I guess you must not exist then. After all, I've never seen you. I'm sure you've never seen the wind, or a thought, or an emotion, so I guess they don't exist either? Do you believe people like George Washington, or Christopher Columbus, or Galileo existed? If so, why? You've never actually seen them either.

Yes, I usually do as well. Different strokes for different folks I guess, but as for me, I'd like to know there were people praying for me if I were the one in need of any emergency services.

SCPD

I guess you must not exist then. After all, I've never seen you. I'm sure you've never seen the wind, or a thought, or an emotion, so I guess they don't exist either? Do you believe people like George Washington, or Christopher Columbus, or Galileo existed? If so, why? You've never actually seen them either.
They weren't supernatural. You must have a reading comprehension problem. I guess you don't exist either.

Last edited:
I have no comprehension problems of any kind. Just pointing out that in your ignorant way of thinking, that anything you haven't experienced firsthand doesn't exist.

By your line of "reasoning", anything at all, other than what you have personally seen, doesn't exist. Obviously you are the one who has a deficit of comprehension.

Thanks to all for all of the responses, I will keep everyone in my prayers. I remember the time in my life were I was an unbeliever. I too was always looking for the logical explanation. But something happend in my life. I realized that Jesus is the Chirst.

I have no comprehension problems of any kind. Just pointing out that in your ignorant way of thinking, that anything you haven't experienced firsthand doesn't exist.

By your line of "reasoning", anything at all, other than what you have personally seen, doesn't exist. Obviously you are the one who has a deficit of comprehension.
I did not say "anything at all." I said anything supernatural. Now you're on ignore. I've lost patience with you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.