Preposed Knox Fire/Rescue Department

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachgallop

Knox county may be creating a more centralized Fire Department. It is not finalized or for sure yet, the discussion is in the starting stages. Maybe everybody will be on TACN in Knox county eventually? I guess Ambulance will still be AMR. It is kinda confusing to me. Are they creating a new agency or is it just the way the agencies are provided funds? Here is an article: Knox County considering fire tax recommendation to create centralized fire department

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
No they are doing what everyone is doing. No more 2 to 10 dispatch set ups ... Now they want just ONE that will dispatch for City, and County. For examples see how we do it in IN on SAFE-T and IDPS here in Indy. And how its done in many, many other locations. It actually works out pretty frikkin great. Takes a bit of work to change up how districts and units are numbered to make a uniform set up, and need to train dispatchers on new system etc...

N2AL

No they are doing what everyone is doing. No more 2 to 10 dispatch set ups ... Now they want just ONE that will dispatch for City, and County. For examples see how we do it in IN on SAFE-T and IDPS here in Indy. And how its done in many, many other locations. It actually works out pretty frikkin great. Takes a bit of work to change up how districts and units are numbered to make a uniform set up, and need to train dispatchers on new system etc...

It sounded to me that the agencies would not be dissolved, but that we would still have the VFD’s and RMFD, but that taxes would fund their departments, rather than donations or subscription services.

Another take on this article, is Knox County would have the same departments, but also create a Knox County Fire Department, to supplement the VFD’s, and RMFD.

City of Knoxville Fire Department would not be combined into a new Department, as they are a city service, not a county service. I think KFD, and the county departments would only share training facilities. That is of course, if the county manages to get this off the ground.

I am interested in the thoughts and opinions others have as to how this would happpen.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Centralized dispatch is becoming the new rage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, we did not dissolve any of the FD's here, all we did as well as most of the State was: Unify dispatching under ONE center,some renumbering of units/stations to fit a unified system, close down a buttload of dispatch centers and make things streamlined and easier on everyone involved. Same thing that is happening in every state to a degree. Have it all centralized and actually smaller bill instead of 20 dispatch centers and 20 places needing funding. TN Already did it at State level with TDOT and THP, MS did it that way also. Of course having made it State law to cut down to only 2 PSAP's per County in IN helped to make the change easier to implement.

N2AL

Yeah, we did not dissolve any of the FD's here, all we did as well as most of the State was: Unify dispatching under ONE center,some renumbering of units/stations to fit a unified system, close down a buttload of dispatch centers and make things streamlined and easier on everyone involved. Same thing that is happening in every state to a degree. Have it all centralized and actually smaller bill instead of 20 dispatch centers and 20 places needing funding. TN Already did it at State level with TDOT and THP, MS did it that way also. Of course having made it State law to cut down to only 2 PSAP's per County in IN helped to make the change easier to implement.

Knox County has one dispatch center. RM/AMR while they dispatch their own units, are inside that center. Call processors build the screens for all agencies inside it.

I heard IN did a good job at uniting dispatch. In TN, not so much. Trust me when I tell you they could have done a much better job. I will PM you with more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.