• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Pres. Candidate's Passport Files Breached!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
This is excellent! I guess they don't like it when it happens to them. I would simply tell them, what many have told me... "If you don't have anything to hide, what are you worried about?" ;) It will be exciting to see what else surfaces on these candidates as time goes on. Gee...I wonder who's behind all this.

Obama urges inquiry into passport snooping

The State Department admitted Friday that the passport files of Obama, Sen. Hillary Clinton and Sen. John McCain had been accessed without authorization.

More:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/21/obama.passport/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

KLH

Premium Subscriber
I don't see the big deal? According to the article
A State Department source said passport files contain scanned images of passport applications, birthdate and basic biographical information, records of passport renewal and possibly citizenship information.
So the person who accessed the information knows what, their citizenship information, and birthdate??? Oh NO!!!

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
KLH said:

So the person who accessed the information knows what, their citizenship information, and birthdate??? Oh NO!!!
Maybe he doesn't want them to know what countries he's been visiting. In any event I thought it was interesting that they felt it was an invasion of "their" privacy.

GreatLakes said:
In any event I thought it was interesting that they felt it was an invasion of "their" privacy.
They ALL are Presidential Candidates they can't expect to have any privacy. It'll make the BREAKING NEWS segment if one of them has a bunion on their left foot... ;)

ibagli

Premium Subscriber
GreatLakes said:
Maybe he doesn't want them to know what countries he's been visiting.
So what if he doesn't? How does what countries he visits affect anything?

GreatLakes said:
In any event I thought it was interesting that they felt it was an invasion of "their" privacy.
It is, and that's why it's illegal to do (or at least to talk about what you see).

And please cite in at least three independent news sources that each candidate has said "If you don't have anything to hide, what are you worried about?" Do that or remove your original assertion that this crime is "excellent" because of that. (Fortunately this is the most innocuous of records, though.)

I agree that if they said that, they are incredibly wrong, though.

Last edited:
trace1 said:
They ALL are Presidential Candidates they can't expect to have any privacy. It'll make the BREAKING NEWS segment if one of them has a bunion on their left foot... ;)
AGREE
They chose what they wanted to do, Who wants to hear them whine, about it now, Maybe the pressure is gettn to em................Hoser

KLH said:

You're missing the point.
If they can look at the candidate's passports, they
can look at anyone and everyone else's too without a legal reason.
They MUST have a LEGAL reason to search records.

Culprits would have absolutely EVERYTHING needed for identity
theft - Name - DOB - SSN - Place of Birth - Mother's maiden name.
EVERYTHING on the passport application.

Not to mention, everything is there to place 100%
verifiable information on a forged passport.

This information can be harvested and sold on the black market
for a very tidy profit that make their salaries look like chicken feed.

Firing them is not nearly enough.
It should be a "zero tolerance" FEDERAL crime with
a mandatory minimum prison sentence to hopefully deter future problems.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
ibagli said:
And please cite in at least three independent news sources that each candidate has said "If you don't have anything to hide, what are you worried about?" Do that or remove your original assertion that this crime is "excellent" because of that.
Re-read my original post. I never said, or implied that any of the candidates said that.

I was referring to the numerous members here on RR that attack me for my concerns regarding illegal wire taps, cell phone monitoring, reading of emails, monitoring of web activity, financial records snooping, and blatant total disregard for our right to privacy.

It is the belief here on RR by some, that the U.S. Government should be able to do what ever they want, without a warrant, using any means necessary even if it's illegal or against our U.S. Constitution. So when the tables are turned, and someone is snooping on presidential candidates, they will experience first hand how that feels, and maybe they'll put a stop to it.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"It'll make the BREAKING NEWS segment if one of them has a bunion on their left foot."

So how does Osama Obama Yomomma La Bamba Banana Fanna Fo Fama get his shoe on with Hillary stuck to his toe?

GreatLakes said:
Re-read my original post. I never said, or implied that any of the candidates said that.

I was referring to the numerous members here on RR that attack me for my concerns regarding illegal wire taps, cell phone monitoring, reading of emails, monitoring of web activity, financial records snooping, and blatant total disregard for our right to privacy.

It is the belief here on RR by some, that the U.S. Government should be able to do what ever they want, without a warrant, using any means necessary even if it's illegal or against our U.S. Constitution. So when the tables are turned, and someone is snooping on presidential candidates, they will experience first hand how that feels, and maybe they'll put a stop to it.
You're right on about this, and it's not going to get any better. I think there is another positive aspect of these stories - they seem to allude to the improper access being detected by monitoring systems. If that's the case, it's good to see more and more of that kind of technology being built into these systems. They do that in some law-enforcement systems now as well, so that problem officers/employees can be identified if they are accessing data that is unrelated to an investigation, etc.

Unfortunately, I don't have high hopes for personal privacy in the information age. It's the nature of government to strive to increase its power over the people...

KLH

Premium Subscriber
mikepdx said:
You're missing the point.
If they can look at the candidate's passports, they
can look at anyone and everyone else's too without a legal reason.
They MUST have a LEGAL reason to search records.

Culprits would have absolutely EVERYTHING needed for identity
theft - Name - DOB - SSN - Place of Birth - Mother's maiden name.
EVERYTHING on the passport application.

Not to mention, everything is there to place 100%
verifiable information on a forged passport.

This information can be harvested and sold on the black market
for a very tidy profit that make their salaries look like chicken feed.

Firing them is not nearly enough.
It should be a "zero tolerance" FEDERAL crime with
a mandatory minimum prison sentence to hopefully deter future problems.
You must have missed the part where the lady in training was being trained on searching for people, and the person she choose to search for was Hilary Clinton.
Mandatory prision sentence for going through a training class and choosing the wrong person to search for...

From media reports, and as stated above, one of the "snoopers" was a trainee, and the file was allowed to be accessed by the instructor. I cannot see why the trainee was disciplined. The instructor, however, should have used files prepared for the classroom, and should have been the one disciplined.

The other employeess, well, they were experienced and should have known better.

Boredom on the job. What mischief this can bring.

Status
Not open for further replies.