• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

President Bush Caught In A Little IPod Scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
President Bush Caught In A Little IPod Scandal

Chicago (IL) - In a recent Fox News interview, Bush shared his affection for iPods, showed the music player and revealed a portion of his playlist. As it appears, Bush ripped Beatles music from CDs and copied it to the music player. As we all should know, this is a big no-no, at least according to the RIAA. Is Bush breaking the law?

The President confessed his love for the iPod to Brit Hume, who talked to Bush on air at the end of that when the interview was almost over and the microphone actually already had been turned down. Hume got a glimpse of an iPod sitting on a desk behind Bush, which prompted the journalist to ask the President about iPods and music.

Bush told the reporter that besides the hard-drive based model he also has the "little one" shuffle model, explaining that you "shuffle to shuffle". He said he often slips the Shuffle model in his pocket, puts the headphones on and jogs, concluding that "it's a pretty high-tech stuff". Then Bush grabbed his iPod and ran through some of the artists on his playlist, reading them aloud. Thanks to Fox, we now know that our President likes The Beach Boys, Alan Jackson, Alison Crowe, The Angels, Aretha Franklin, The Beatles ... Wait a minute: The Beatles?

As far as we know, the legendary British pop band isn't yet available on iTunes or any other download service. The only way that Bush could have acquired these songs (other than any secret service channels) would be to rip Beatles CDs on his own. If the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) is right the Bush has broken the law in a worst-case scenario, but is moving in a legal grey zone in any way you look at it.
Last year, RIAA decided that it may be illegal to rip CDs and put them on your iPod.

Yes, if you haven't read that news last year, ripping a legal CD could be illegal.

The music industry took its rigid stand on ripping during dramatic trial in Minnesota last October, when judge ordered Jammie Thomas to pay $220,000 to the record labels for sharing 24 songs online ($9250 per song). It was during that trial that Sony BMG's chief of litigation, Jennifer Pariser, testified: "When an individual makes a copy of a song for himself, I suppose we can say he stole a song." She went even further by saying that copying a song you bought is "a nice way of saying 'steals just one copy'."
As a sharp contrast to this theory consumers have completely different expectations. The Los Angeles Times poll revealed that 69% of teenagers thought it was legal to copy a CD they own and give it to a friend. Consumer advocates point to several court rulings over the last few decades that found no violation of copyright law in the use of VCRs and other devices that were used to make personal copies for the purpose of making portable a legally obtained recording.

Having said that, is it then OK to copy legally bought CD onto a computer or an iPod? The RIAA states on its website that "making a personal copy of a CD that you bought legitimately may not be a legal right, but it won't usually raise concerns, as long as you don't give away the music or lend it to anyone."

You can watch Bush discussing the iPod with Fox News reporter in the YouTube video.

-source-
http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/04/07/president_bush_caught_in_a_little_ipod_scandal/

Shortwavewave

Do you seriously think the pres is going to get in trouble??

And also do you have any idea how meny people copy, rip, burn, share, and steal music??

If everyone "HAD" to pay for music, Mp3 players would not exsist to point that they do today

Even other music artists take other music for ipods or what ever they use.
Theres no way the RIAA can stop everyone, its gottin to the point they should just
give up

"Beating a Dead horse"

Beside we got bigger isuues to worry about.

Last edited:

Don_Burke

GreatLakes said:
Having said that, is it then OK to copy legally bought CD onto a computer or an iPod?
Yes

When you buy a prerecorded CD, you have bought two distinct things.

- The physical CD which you can use as a frisbee, a coaster, or a crappy signalling mirror.

- A license to use the copyrighted material on the CD. If you have several copies, but only use one at a time, there is no legal issue.

Many copies may establish intent to distribute, which is something for a judge to decide.
GreatLakes said:
The RIAA states on its website that "making a personal copy of a CD that you bought legitimately may not be a legal right, but it won't usually raise concerns, as long as you don't give away the music or lend it to anyone."
I am glad RIAA and I do not use the same attorney.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Shortwavewave said:

And also do you have any idea how meny people copy, rip, burn, share, and steal music??

If everyone "HAD" to pay for music, Mp3 players would not exsist to point that they do today

Theres no way the RIAA can stop everyone, its gottin to the point they should just
give up

"Beating a Dead horse"

Who are you asking? I didn't say anything.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
Shortwavewave said:

give up

"Beating a Dead horse"
Just because "everybody does it" does not make it ok or mean that it shouldn't be illegal. How many people speed every day and don't get a ticket? And when they do get caught, they think the police are in the wrong even though they know what they are doing is illegal.

Another thing...more people are legally downloading music than you probably think. iTunes has actually dethroned Wal-Mart as the world's largest music retailer.

The problem here is not with people copying songs from a CD to their computer or MP3 player for their own personal use, it is when they illegally share those files with others. In the lawsuit mentioned above, the person was not charged with copying the material, they were charged with illegally sharing it.

Shortwavewave said:
I can't stand it when people use this line. Sure, there are more serious things that definitely need to be dealt with, but dealing with the small things goes a long way toward preventing the more serious stuff. How many bank robbers just decided out of the blue to go rob a bank? Most of them are career criminals....they probably started when they were kids stealing candy from a gas station. They got away with that so in their teen years they moved on to bigger and better things, like stealing electronics from Wal-Mart. Maybe they got caught a couple times, but they just got a slap on the wrist. That wasn't so bad was it? Great, let's go steal a car. The police have "more important" things to deal with, so they just come out and take a report....there's no time to investigate further. That was easy to get away with, so let's raise the stakes a little...that house looks like there's some good stuff inside, let's break in and see what we can find. A nice TV, DVD player, a couple iPods, and a nice Glock. Again, the cops have more important things to deal with than a little burglary so they just make a report. Ok, I think it's time to lay low for a couple weeks. Well, we didn't get caught. Hey, since we have a car that's not ours and a gun that's not ours, it would be pretty easy to get away with robbing that bank wouldn't it? And on the way out let's shoot a couple people just for the fun of it.

"Dispatch to unit XXX"

"Go ahead"

"We have a shoplifting at Wal-Mart"

"Sorry we're all busy with this robbery and homicide"

Last edited:

trace1

As far as we know, the legendary British pop band isn't yet available on iTunes or any other download service. The only way that Bush could have acquired these songs (other than any secret service channels) would be to rip Beatles CDs on his own. If the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) is right the Bush has broken the law in a worst-case scenario, but is moving in a legal grey zone in any way you look at it.

Last year, RIAA decided that it may be illegal to rip CDs and put them on your iPod.
This wouldn't be any different than if someone were to record a 45 or 33 on to their 8-track, DAT or cassette as long as it is for personal use and not for sale or distribution, now would it, at least in my way of thinking?

The RIAA sounds a lot like the ACLU... ;)

Last edited:

SCPD

the last straw lets impeach him! that will show him, no president of mine rips beatles music and gets away with it!

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Why do you guys keep quoting the article in such a way as if I wrote it? I didn't even express an opinion...yet.

I actually thought it was rather humorous! I love when the big guys get caught up in the crap us little people have to deal with every day!

Portable14

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Shortwavewave said:

I only know of ONE PERSON that does that stuff (Wink Wink). I personally don't think it's a very big deal.

Shortwavewave

Im sorry Greatlakes I didnt really mean it towrds you, I ment you as in everyone

And to Raven wow someone got ticked,

what if you were in a wreck or somthing called 911, sorry we cant help you we are to busy dealing with a kid stealing music:roll: it goes both ways

plus if you try to get everyone for this kind of crap, and they end up in jail, thats taxes you have to pay to feed them

and give me a break, music is music a bamboo windchime can make music and I can record it and sell and if someone else gives it away and have to end up going to prison doesnt that sound a little dumb?

Ive never heard someone get shot because they stole a song, maybe in the "gang" world but it about as big of issue as your neighbor peeing you your front porch

Last edited:

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
No, I didn't really get ticked....it just annoys me when people use that line.

I do agree that (illegally) downloading music isn't really a big deal, but it is still illegal and should be treated as such unless it is legalized. After all, the law is the law even if it is a stupid law. I have to admit I am guilty of it and I'm sure many others here are as well.

From what I understand, (and I could be wrong about this...I'm no music industry expert) the artists and record companies pretty much make peanuts from record sales, they make the vast majority of their money from concert attendance and concessions. They may just be better off giving the music out for free to get more people to attend concerts. Of course, this would then hurt other businesses.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
I think the RIAA is guilty of much greater criminal acts than anyone copying music. Starting with racketeering, and extortion! :twisted:

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
GreatLakes said:
I think the RIAA is guilty of much greater criminal acts than anyone copying music. Starting with racketeering, and extortion! :twisted:
Yeah you are probably right there. :lol:

SCPD

im guilty of many crimes according to this website, www.dumblaws.com. im thinking about writing a book called "i broke over 600 laws and never got caught" lol. some pretty funny stuff on here since people brought up stupid laws and stuff like that.

mikepdx

[size=+1]“When the President does it, that means that it is not illegal.”
- Richard Milhous Nixon[/size]

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
hoser147 said:
Since they ran around filing suits against a bunch of kids, why would they cut him any slack........
Good point! But if they went after him, it would be like everything else he's been caught doing. He'll just change the law to make it ok for him, like it or not.

hoser147

GreatLakes said:
Good point! But if they went after him, it would be like everything else he's been caught doing. He'll just change the law to make it ok for him, like it or not.
If they really wanted to prove their point like they said when they went after those kids, they would do it and show everyone that it doesnt matter who you are, if ya steal your a thief and your going to pay the price. Unfortunately we know it wont happen.................

cpd38

Premium Subscriber
Per the law, and the way I read it is that if you already own the CDs, vinyl, tapes or what have you....you are allowed by law to copy the songs from it for your own personal use. There is nothing saying that even if you own all the music already that you once again have to pay for it to load it onto a MP3 player.

So what's the big deal?

The only people that I can find that were getting into trouble were ones that were using share sites where someone would post a file and 10,000 others would copy it off the internet for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.