President Trump's statements on publicly traded companies...

I wonder if the SEC is watching our President and his "friends" when it comes to statements he makes in regards to publicly traded companies and if there are any "odd" trades happening before he says things.

Example.....After the market closed today, President Trump talks about imposing potential tariffs on Apple iPhones.
What happens when publicly traded companies see an increase in their bottom dollar due to things like tariffs? The stock gets shorted.

Now our President Trump knew he was going to mention this about Apple, it makes me wonder if Apple stock was shorted by anyone who might be close to Trump knowing that he was going to talk negative about the company.
It's called insider trading and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if there is some of this going on within the White House with friends of Donald Trump.

He's said so many statements about publicly traded companies since he took office that one has to wonder if any illegal activities are going on behind closed doors in regards to profiting from Trump's remarks, either positive or negative, when it comes to publicly traded companies.

Now some folks are going to say that he'd NEVER do that, it's illegal.
I've got some swamp land in Florida to sell you too that's worth a mint.....

W8RMH

Premium Subscriber
Grove City, Ohio (A Bearcat not a Buckeye)
He needs to realize he is the president now and not a businessman and restrict his comments to his presidential duties and not make private business comments. He may not be doing it intentionally but the results are the same. I think these statements will be his downfall.

flythunderbird

Premium Subscriber
It's called insider trading and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if there is some of this going on within the White House with friends of Donald Trump.
If it's going on inside the Trump administration (and it may well be going on, I don't know), then it's safe to say that it has gone on inside previous administrations. Remember when Obama "fired" GM CEO Rick Wagoner? Nobody will convince me that Obama kept that "firing" completely to himself prior to announcing it, nevermind that Obama had no actual legal power or authority to "fire" Rick Wagoner. I have no doubt that some trading of GM stock by government officials went on behind the scenes prior to that "firing."

And what of the Bear Stearns/Lehman Brothers collapses, not to mention the moneycenter bank bailouts? The Treasury Department and the Federal Reserve watch all of that like hawks, and it is entirely reasonable to think that some government officials in both the Bush and Obama administrations made money based on knowledge of actions the government planned to take prior to those actions being announced.

It would also be interesting to know how many Obama administration officials held or bought stock in health insurance companies prior to the passage of Obamacare and have since profited handsomely from it.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but it happens in every administration. The difference with Trump is that he's more focused in what he says. Again, not saying he's right in doing it, just that he's more focused with it. He uses the bully pulpit to the max.

All political noise. I for one like what I see in my brokerage accounts since President Trump was elected. Sure beats what I had to cope with during the Obama administration.

I just wanted to comment as I'm very familiar with and follow closely everyday what you're talking about. The president is under a microscope more than any other president has ever been by a very bias democratic party news media. He is a multi-billionaire who spent huge amounts of his own money to be elected as that's what he decided he wanted to do in his latter life for whatever his own egotistical reasons are, he wanted to be president.

As a real estate man he was always a cut-throat business man but pretty much within the limits of the law including his bankruptcies, tax loopholes and unethical practices. That's how our laws are written. The last thing he is going to do now is add to the 85 investigations planned by the Democratic house who was elected to tear him down. It will be all investigations and no legislation and the Democrats will be soundly defeated in 2020 because of it.

It is correct that the stock market is extremely corrupt with insider trading as the order of the day. Data that the FED makes decisions on is complete nonsense and totally fudged and cooked. Much of that was helped by President Clinton who changed many of the Dynamics of doing business on Wall Street and banking and determining statistical information that is supposed to reflect the economy's condition including changing how inflation is determined and how unemployment rates are calculated.

People criticize the president's tweets but in reality they have served a purpose. Lying, corruption, deceit, cooked books, Market manipulation in addition to very corrupt swamp creatures in both houses is the order of the day now and totally accepted as part of the process.

We never recovered from 2008 as it's all been smoke and mirrors using 0% interest rates, buying the worlds toxic junk, buying our own bonds and Buy-Backs by corporations using cheap money they borrow using Mr. Ponzi's game plan. We cannot nor will we ever be able to tolerate higher interest rates again. Nothing short of a world reset can approach the problem we have.

I guess the point of all this is don't think the president doesn't know exactly what is coming and his comments and actions are more calculated and deliberate than you think. He has lost a tremendous amount of wealth by being president. He didn't get into it to steal money unlike Hillary who shamelessly does it in the open but has immunity because of the double standard. Right or wrong he is doing what he thinks is right even if it is probably wrong.

Believe it or not I'm somewhat of a political atheist but I do stand for what is right which is more obvious these days than ever before. If his agenda in total had been carried out by the Republican majority in the first year of his presidency things would be much different right now. Unfortunately the feckless moronic Republican Party dropped the ball.

It's too late now. People have no idea what's coming in the next two years. The president will blame the Fed and the Democrats and there will be a republican sweep by a landslide in 2020.

Just saying.

I did a little investigation today and to the OP, with all due respect. If you look at the president's comments to the New York Times he said... If his upcoming meeting with XI is not successful he will consider increasing the tariffs to all products out of China, it just so happens Apple is one of those products.

When pressed he said he may or may not include Apple products. It was the New York Times Reporter who injected the notion that he deliberately targeted Apple when he wrote his story. That's why they call it fake news of which the New York Times is one of the biggest offenders.

The idea that he did this on purpose to influence insider trading for his friends or those in the White House is nonsense. This is a negotiating tool for the upcoming meeting with the Chinese president XI.

By the way Apple stock is down over 20% in one month and that is because of their failure to disclose guidance and the fact they will no longer release the number of iPhones being sold. It's not a very well-run company right now with phones that are too expensive and the Chinese are knocking off their phones and selling them for a lot less money and they have a lot more features. It's this type of thing the president is trying to stop.

Last edited:
For those of you that are happier with your portfolio's since Trump was elected must have been in the wrong stocks during Obama's tenure as President !!!

Just look at the Dow Jones from 2009, when the market finally stopped dropping like a rock, and when Obama took office, to 2017 when Obama left.
Plenty of opportunity to make some money during those years.

As for insider trading happening within the administration for years, sure it's been happening.
My complaint is President Trump doesn't have to come out once a week (it seems) and start blurting about all the things, that mostly are negative with very few positive comments, in regards to publicly traded companies.

He knows very well what he's doing and how it affects the market.

I don't remember Obama, the 2nd Bush, or the first Bush, openly discussing publicly traded companies to the affect the current President has.

Oh...and how's that portfolio looking since the start of 2018?!? Looking pretty stale to me.

Just look at the Dow Jones from 2009, when the market finally stopped dropping like a rock, and when Obama took office, to 2017 when Obama left.
I have posted a graphic, in the politics forums, of the DJIA with the presidential inauguration dates superimposed on it for about the last 30 years. It clearly shows a relationship between the political party occupying the White House, and market trends. It clearly favors Democratic fiscal policy.

What baffles me is that the guys who lean to the right completely ignore real data, and continue to cling to party dogma that says Obama trashed the economy.

But that's not what the facts support.

I don't remember Obama, the 2nd Bush, or the first Bush, openly discussing publicly traded companies to the affect the current President has.
They all fully understood and appreciated the power of the oval office, and didn't abuse it. They were all decent men.

Oh...and how's that portfolio looking since the start of 2018?!? Looking pretty stale to me.
All the gains of the last year are completely flat. If the graphic that I have previously posted elsewhere is any indicator, we can expect more of the same for about the next three years.

Last edited:
Just a follow up on how those portfolio's are doing?!?
Looks like the Dow is near where it was when Donald Trump was elected. That's positive since he took office.....right??!!??

All political noise. I for one like what I see in my brokerage accounts since President Trump was elected. Sure beats what I had to cope with during the Obama administration.
I will heartily second this notion!

Looks like the Dow is near where it was when Donald Trump was elected. That's positive since he took office.....right??!!??
My portfolio is doing nicely. (1) No loss unless one sells. (2) Reinvested dividends when share prices dip just buy more shares than might otherwise be expected. Has worked me since ~1970. Giddyup.

Retirement is a long-haul operation, not the "instant gratification" that some people have come to expect
a less than 10% decline is a mere speed-bump/pothole that will be filled in :)

It's mostly about the massive China trade imbalance. We really have lost a lot of jobs overseas and that's in large part do to trickle up, red tape and regulations. I guess you can't blame a company for wanting to make something cheaper without paying massive taxes and what not. Not only that, but China manipulates their currency. And just like what Trump stated, you can't compete. Trump is a smart savvy businesses man. And he wants to foster this country's economic viability like it used to be. I mean, after all, it is called a rust belt for a reason.

To me, this is all 7trh grade basic world history. I learned back then that when civilizations have a lopsided trade system, civilizations tended to fail.

China has been a major trading country since hundreds of years. Does the spice trade ring a bell to anyone? Or the silk road?