primary, and simulcast displayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephendaae

hello everyone. i recently downloaded a trunking system from radio reference by way of freescan. once you download the system to a window it displays the word primary on the left side of this window for san bernardino ca system 9 and simulcast for several other system from san bernardino. once i download this system to my scanner it displays these same words in the scanner window while scanning and i cannot trunk any of the channels or frequencies.

the scanner i am using is a bcd396xt.

someone suggested that i did not check any of the boxes on the right hand side. i did check all boxes. when the system is scanning all i get is the word primary or simulcast and it is not trunking any of the control channels/frequencies. below the word were you should see the frequencies, all i see is NFM

the word that is scanning is.....PRIMARY ID SCAN, INSTEAD OF THE SYSTEM NAME WHICH SHOULD BE GOING ACROSS THE DISPLAY WINDOW.

PLEASE HELP

rvictor

hello everyone. i recently downloaded a trunking system from radio reference by way of freescan. once you download the system to a window it displays the word primary on the left side of this window for san bernardino ca system 9 and simulcast for several other system from san bernardino. once i download this system to my scanner it displays these same words in the scanner window while scanning and i cannot trunk any of the channels or frequencies.

the scanner i am using is a bcd396xt.

someone suggested that i did not check any of the boxes on the right hand side. i did check all boxes. when the system is scanning all i get is the word primary or simulcast and it is not trunking any of the control channels/frequencies. below the word were you should see the frequencies, all i see is NFM

the word that is scanning is.....PRIMARY ID SCAN, INSTEAD OF THE SYSTEM NAME WHICH SHOULD BE GOING ACROSS THE DISPLAY WINDOW.

PLEASE HELP

First of all, the word PRIMARY is going across the first line of the display because in trunk mode the scanner displays the name of the site which in your case is PRIMARY. It displays ID SCAN in the next line because that's the mode that it's in.

Since each of those numbered San Bernadino systems appears from the database to be a separate system, you may want to change the site names so that each indicates the system that it's connected to. Otherwise you will have a number of sites named PRIMARY which will all appear the same as they are scanned. Similarly for SIMULCAST.

Once you've done that, you might want to try scanning these systems in ID Search to see if you are hearing each of them that you would expect to hear. If you've got that under control, then I'd go in and check the talkgroup IDs for each system to make sure they are correctly entered. Keep in mind that since they are each separate systems, each will have its own unique talkgroup IDs.

If you want all of those San Bernadino numbered systems, you'll end up with 12 separate trunked systems in the scanner for those.

Dick

stephendaae

also i forgot to mentioned that when i hit the hold button only the control frequencies appear and then it starts to blink and says finding control channel 1.

i downloaded this trunking system from freescan. the conventional systems are fine, i also downloaded a trunking system called interagency(icis) this trunking system is fine. its just the ones that read primary or simulcast on the lefthand side of the window. i thought when you download these systems everything is already done for you.

thanks for any help.

stephendaae

rvictor

To a great extent, everything is done for you. However, if you download a number of different systems and each of them has a site named PRIMARY, the scanner will display that when it scans each of those systems. If you want it to say something else, you need to change the site name to something else. The program has no way of knowing what name you want to display for those sites. If you were only loading one system, it wouldn't matter that the site name was left as PRIMARY, but if you load a number of them with the same site name, you will get confused because each one will display as PRIMARY.

I would suggest that you start from scratch and download one of those numbered systems. Rename the site to the name of the system. Get that working. Then download another and do the same thing. Etc. In fact, try the FreeScan file that I've attached. You will have to unzip it first. I have no way to test it from here, but I think it should work for you for the San Bernadino 09 system.

Dick

Attachments

• SanBernadino09.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 63

stephendaae

primary, simulcast

thank you for your response. the problem that i have is the scanner is not trunking at all. when i put it on hold all it does is blink with the words finding control channel, and when it is scanning it does not scan any of the control channel frequencies. i read something about there is a chance i may be to far away, but the conventional system from san bernardino county works fine.

i've checked all the frequencies they are correct

it just doesn't pick up anything. while it is scanning all it displays is nfm instead of the trunking frequencies.

thanks

rvictor

Certainly you could be too far away. The fact that you can receive the conventional channels doesn't tell you much about whether you'll be able to receive the trunked system.

The easiest test would seem to be to program the scanner and drive to an area which is clearly within the coverage area of the system that you are trying to monitor. If you can hear it there, you've at least confirmed your programming.

Checking the frequencies does not necessarily mean that you have the trunked system programmed correctly. There are other aspects to programming a trunked system than merely getting the frequencies entered correctly. Did you try the data file that I attached?

Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.