Priority Listening SDS200

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1YFI

Premium Subscriber
I keep reading and re reading the SDS200 manual (pg9 plus) and still am drawing a blank on how to create priority channels for Norfolk County , Town of Norwood MA
I created a favorites but am not sure it is anywhere.

Am I missing something simple or is technology just running past me?

edweirdFL

When editing the profile in Sentinel, on the Miscellaneous tab make sure to select a Priority Scan mode under General Options.

When editing the favorites list in Sentinel, make sure "Priority ID Scan" is set to on.

When editing the channels in Sentinel, make sure "P-Ch" is set to On.

doovenator

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering about this too. From sentinel I changed one channel in my favorites list to "P-Ch" on, do I have to set the other options for the favorites list and the profile also?

doovenator

Premium Subscriber
Nevermind, I figured it out. To others who may be curious, I did have to make the Profile change in Sentinel as mentioned under the Misc. tab, then the channel I had previously set to "P-Ch"- On began working during scans. During other broadcasts it does interrupt about every 2 seconds (which I believe to be normal) for about 1/4 to 1/2 second to check if there's traffic on the priority channel, which is distracting but not completely unbearable. You do end up missing quite a bit of other transmissions.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Nevermind, I figured it out. To others who may be curious, I did have to make the Profile change in Sentinel as mentioned under the Misc. tab, then the channel I had previously set to "P-Ch"- On began working during scans. During other broadcasts it does interrupt about every 2 seconds (which I believe to be normal) for about 1/4 to 1/2 second to check if there's traffic on the priority channel, which is distracting but not completely unbearable. You do end up missing quite a bit of other transmissions.
Two seconds is the default. But, again on the Misc tab in your Sentinel Profile, you can change the interval time for Priority, in one second increments, up to every 10 seconds, lessening interruptions of other conversation. I use four seconds, which seems to be better for my agencies of interest.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
When editing the profile in Sentinel, on the Miscellaneous tab make sure to select a Priority Scan mode under General Options.

When editing the favorites list in Sentinel, make sure "Priority ID Scan" is set to on.

When editing the channels in Sentinel, make sure "P-Ch" is set to On.

Setting up Priority "stuff" is challenging at first. Depending on whether you have a trunked system or a conventional system, the settings are different.

For Conventional, you do turn on the Priority Scan Mode in the Profile editor. That is where you can select how often the Priority channel is checked (Priority Interval Time).

For Trunked, you turn on Priority ID Scan in the System's options area. Since there is no pre-emptive scanning of trunked systems, there is no Priority Interval Time to select.

Fortunately checking the P-Ch to mark specific channels (either TGID or conventional frequencies) is the same in both trunked and conventional.

Status
Not open for further replies.