Privacy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

we0z

Ham License

I have been a licensed ham since age 10 now 65 and in all of these years never once has my license information from the public database, FCC, ever presented a scam or any other compromise from this information. There are other ways to getting information about you and they are limitless!
Bob
WEØZ

I think the modern ability to know of every news story almost instantly fuels this.
An Amber Alert about missing child is carried nationwide over the cable news; media broadcasts are filled with every crime every day-- it certainly makes us aware. Good or Bad ? It can spin off in to paranoia.
I like to take the historical perspective- and one that if it were to have happened to me in the years past might have had a different outcome.
There have always been evil people out there, there is just more of us now, so there may seem to be more of them- but the percentages are still just as low. We just know about them, and are better infom'd today.

Stepping back a few years, the Clock Work Orange-like gangs of London's ultra-violent hoodlums in the 18th and 19th centuries made the life of any city dweller cheap. Child abductions, murders were common place. In my Colorado mining town there were people killed almost nightly in the gambling hells and brothels-- but in those days a crime in Poison Spider Oklahoma didn't get plaster'd all over CNN for the next week. With that sort of media coverage it makes it seem we are constantly in the midst of a continued crime wave.
Maybe that awareness is not such a bad thing, but when it bleeds off into such a passionate debate involving an innocent hobby? I think that the message that is being sent out here is that Ham Radio is going to get you Killed. There are Boogey Men stalking 75 metre's, and all those creeps in long raincoats are taking down call letter plates in the supermarket parking lots. Its enuff to scare off any potential ham.
That said, the awareness and publicity of evil probably saved my life.
I was living in London, and there had been a ghastly abduction and murder of a young woman- right off the street near where I lived. Naturally everyone was hyper aware- and I might not have been if the news coverage wasn't so intense.
On my way home alone one evening I was approached by a strange man in a car who offered me a ride. He was young, well dressed in a British naval officer's uniform, and he had the most pleasant voice.
But..........Wasn't there something in the news?.. that murder... something.... something that mentioned a uniform? This all went racing thru my thoughts.
I didn't approach the car; I said a curt 'Thank you - but no"........ and enter'd the pub on the corner as quickly as I could calmly walk away.
Now that is the stuff of real paranoia.
I'm going to say my 73's to this topic and leave the poor new hams alone. We live in a cyber world- that should be enuff awareness to keep an amateur safe in his/her hobby.
Lauri :)

Last edited by a moderator:

RFI-EMI-GUY

OMG!
Does the fact that "A Clockwork Orange" is one of my favorite movies make me a bad person?

FluxMux

There are many ne'er-do-wells out there that do not want the vehicle, but the vehicle can indication of a home with many things to be stolen or the name and location of the person they wish to victimize in other ways. They wouldn't have to be a HAM or even know the first thing about amateur radio for this to be useful information thanks to sites like RadioQTH. Type in your callsign on Google and the first hit probably leads you to RadioQTH.net with an address complete with an overhead map. Not singling out RadioQTH, it's just the first thing that came up when I tried mine. Just something to think about. Me personally... I have mine on the back of my vehicle. If there is something here they want to risk their life over, I guess they can give it a try but the payoff to risk would not be in their favor. For others, I can absolutely see the benefits of not giving this information out so freely in your travels.

Gmork

Having a career is public service has been beneficial for the fact that most of my personal information is blocked/redacted or confidential. This was due to being proactive & filing out forms. Sadly not too many co-workers take advantage of this. I know nothing is 100% when it comes to privacy.

FluxMux

most of my personal information is blocked/redacted or confidential.

What information did they hide for you? I'm seeing the same info as anyone else in the ULS and out of curiosity, from a google search the first link is directly to the ULS information. Thought I'd let you know.

w0srb

Premium Subscriber
From the movie “Strange Days”

“The issue isn't whether you're paranoid, but whether you're paranoid enough.”

“Perfect paranoia is perfect awareness.”

― Stephen King

Gmork

What information did they hide for you? I'm seeing the same info as anyone else in the ULS and out of curiosity, from a google search the first link is directly to the ULS information. Thought I'd let you know.

The ULS listing is another address than my home. I was referring to vehicle registration & voting records.

k6cpo

I meant it to be a general statement. Amateur radio in the USA requires submitting your name and an address to the FCC. This information will ultimately wind up in public databases. If somebody is not comfortable with that amount of personal information being publicly exposed, it may be a roadblock for them to enter the hobby.

The VEC I work for requires all exam candidates have their FRN BEFORE they undertake the examination. This removes any liability for us regarding SSNs on the paperwork. There has been at least one instance I'm aware of where an individual declined to obtain an FRN because he didn't want to put his SSN on a government website (even though it was the same government that issued the SSN to him in the first place.)

Hans13

The VEC I work for requires all exam candidates have their FRN BEFORE they undertake the examination. This removes any liability for us regarding SSNs on the paperwork. There has been at least one instance I'm aware of where an individual declined to obtain an FRN because he didn't want to put his SSN on a government website (even though it was the same government that issued the SSN to him in the first place.)

In the person's defense, he might have been one who protested, "SSN not for ID!" I did that for many years and we got it removed from our state driver's licenses at the time and raised awareness in our state about misuse of the SSN and the dangers of it. Of course, RealID has blow that right out of the water. :mad:

RFI-EMI-GUY

In the person's defense, he might have been one who protested, "SSN not for ID!" I did that for many years and we got it removed from our state driver's licenses at the time and raised awareness in our state about misuse of the SSN and the dangers of it. Of course, RealID has blow that right out of the water. :mad:
I can remember a time when an SSN was NOT supposed to be used for ID. In about 1995, I had called AT&T about my long distance account and the clerk asked me for my SSN and I replied, no, I don't think I have ever given you that. It was a slippery slope that now virtually all personal info has been compromised.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

techguru

Just get a PO BOX in the middle of the closest major city. I plan to get one in Dallas. You don't have to keep it or check it, just get mail forwarding from it to your home address and remember to renew the forwarding every year.

I do plan to get the plates, in Texas people can get your reg info anyway though www.publicdata.com

Status
Not open for further replies.