Pro 106 in Morris County on P25 system using Win500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roveer

I noticed quite a while back that my RS Pro 106 stopped receiving all the police and fire comms. I never really did anything about it as they alert fire on analog and I had another scanner for that. Last night I decided to pull out the programming cable and see if I could figure it out.

What I determined is that the Morris County went to a 700 MHZ P25 system some time ago (at least I think that's what happened). I messed with my scanner and win500 for a few hours and while I think I managed to put together a working system, I really are not receiving any traffic from my town (Mendham). I'm going to re-check my numbers.

Any chance anyone has a Morris County File that they could share?

Last time around I just loaded it and that was it. This time around I plan on using it to teach myself more about my scanner. Originally I was very intimidated by it, but after some time last night, it wasn't as complicated as I remember. It always helps when you have the correct answer and you can then see how you got there.

Thanks.

Roveer

RonnieUSA

I noticed quite a while back that my RS Pro 106 stopped receiving all the police and fire comms. I never really did anything about it as they alert fire on analog and I had another scanner for that. Last night I decided to pull out the programming cable and see if I could figure it out.

What I determined is that the Morris County went to a 700 MHZ P25 system some time ago (at least I think that's what happened). I messed with my scanner and win500 for a few hours and while I think I managed to put together a working system, I really are not receiving any traffic from my town (Mendham). I'm going to re-check my numbers.

Any chance anyone has a Morris County File that they could share?

Last time around I just loaded it and that was it. This time around I plan on using it to teach myself more about my scanner. Originally I was very intimidated by it, but after some time last night, it wasn't as complicated as I remember. It always helps when you have the correct answer and you can then see how you got there.

Thanks.

Roveer

The database list the as using a P25 UHF Trunked system, and it was last updated 2 days ago.
Morris County Public Safety Trunking System, Morris County, New Jersey - Scanner Frequencies

The only thing listed as Phase 2 is >> New Jersey Interoperability Communications System (NJICS), and Morris County doesn't have any listings on there.

Fizz306

Premium Subscriber
it is not a 700 phase 2, but rather a UHF phase 1 system. this was upgraded about a year ago from a Motorola smart zone system when they upgraded their infrastructure. if you have the old 3600 system in your scanner, it will need to be reprogrammed. please see the above posting that links to the system.

do a search of the nj forums and you'll learn about the system being a linear simulcast system, causing some pretty bad multipathing issues with scanners.

all of this is pretty heavily discussed in the nj forums.

Last edited:

Roveer

Thanks for the replies. I've been using the data that you are pointing to and have set up my radio with win500 as best as I can. I'm receiving traffic, but not on the 1st TG which is supposed to support my town. I thought I heard 46 car traffic last night which is one of the chesters, but nothing for Mendham (18&19 cars). Can't imagine that they are that quiet. Was hoping someone had the whole system in a win500 file so I could use it to learn.

Fizz306

Premium Subscriber
if you heard chester pd traffic, they it's working. maybe the mendhams were just quiet. glad to hear it's working better for you.

Roveer

I think I found my problem. I didn't have all of the system frequencies in.

So I put in the primary control channel, none of the alternate control channels and all of the "other" channels.

I tuned the control channels on my analog radio and only the primary came in clear. The secondary's are probably across town. I'm closer to the county buildings so I'm probably getting the primary best. Is that the right thing to do?

Fizz306

Premium Subscriber
I can't speak about the 106 as I am a uniden guy, but you should put in everything if you don't have a control channel only feature.

the system is a simulcast system. this means that all sites throughout the county broadcast on the same control channel frequency and same data all the time. this is why you don't need to program different sites into this system like you did with the county's old system.

while there are still multiple sites, they all broadcast the same thing so it appears as one big site to the end user, if that makes any sense.

I'm sure there is someone on this forum who has experience with rs scanners on this system who can give you more information on programming...

Roveer

Just to close the loop on this thread. After putting all the frequencies into my radio I'm now getting all the traffic I should be getting. Mendham is in the PD 1 channel and I'm getting all the 18 and 19 car traffic I was expecting. Thanks to those who helped me out on this

I'm going to put the entire Morris county system into win500 so if anyone wants it, please ask in a pm and I'll be happy to share. When I first got my 106 I was helped by a user here and that made a huge difference. I'm happy to help now that I have more experience.

Roveer

Status
Not open for further replies.